Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    parentcenter.babycenter.com/refcap/bigkid/gpreschool/67271.html

interesting article. there are strengths and weaknesses with either choice.

we are a few years away from having kids yet so this really isn't an immediate concern quite yet, however we are looking for our first home and are trying to decide what is the best type of education for children these days.

I had a mix of both public and private education. I think there are notable qualities to be said for both types, though private is quite expensive.

what is everyone's opinions regarding this question? would you send your children to public or private schools?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    i went public, IF i ever decide to have kids they will go public
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Neither! My kids have been home schooled for 4 years and I am thrilled with the results. Oh, and they are home schooled within 150 yards of 10 other kids that are near the same age that are also home schooled. (So don't start with the socialization garbage.)

Investigate before ruling it out.
    My Windoze toolz http://www.securitysoftware.cc
    My experience is that private schools do a much better job in the sense that they *usually have smaller class sizes, higher paid teachers, more local control over curriculum, better resource allocation which equates to better facilities, better libraries and state of the equipment.

That being said, it takes some cash and you can find some public schools that come pretty close so the cost/benefit analysis can go in favor of public schools.

pertinax: if your kids are around 10 other home-schooled kids, how is that evidence against the 'socialization' argument? Aren't they being socialized by other kids who are arguably in the same'protected' home school bubble?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I went to public all my life, my 2 kids are in private. That was my wife's decision, one thing I learned about private is that this school they go to, its all about $money$! They charge us for everything, miss a meeting $25, miss a bingo $200 etc.. I'm now think home school is a better option.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    That brings up another 'pro' rhino. Because you pay for private school, parents seem to take much more of an interest in their kids education (no missed teacher conferences, less attendance problems by students, etc.)
    Last edited by t2gungho; 08/02/2005 at 01:41 AM.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I don't have kids and don't like kids.

I will always support public schools as the most important aspect of our Country.

I went to catholic school and although it was a good education it was mediocre. Meaning, yea, I was spoon fed but it was not challenging.

If you are going to pay for private education, get the best bang for your buck.
    I have six children and we homeschool them all.

Socialization skills do not require you to expose your children to all other children with no disceimination as to whom they are socializing with. I would, in almost all cases prefer that they learn socialization skills from adults rather than many of the youth in America I see.
    Of three children, only one is of school age. She has been in private school thus far. We intend to keep it that way for a while. However, once that foundation is set, we may venture into the public schools, provided they remain of high quality (our area has largely "good" schools).

My concern with public schools is that they are often tackling too many social issues and missing the basics -- reading, writing, arithmetic, retrospect (i.e. history, but I wanted to keep the alliteration ) and reasoning.
    There is no way I'd subject any child of mine to the public school system in So. Calif.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    i went to a private school for elementary and secondary school...and then a private cegep

and look how well i turned out
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Children are like farts: your own are just about tolerable but everyone else's are horrendous.

Is this the bumper sticker thread
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    An option to paying the high price of a private school, is to move to a nice area. When my ex and I moved to Atlanta, we chose to move to a county with one of the highest rated school systems in Georgia. It's more expensive, but well worth it.

My neighborhood is very diverse, with public, private and home schooled children scattered throughout. The only issue they have with being taught in different facilities, is the conflict when scheduling playtime.

Both, public and private schools have problems. The most important thing is to stay involved with your kids. Don't leave it to the school to teach your kids about life...
    Well...I always seemed to get bashed on these types of conversations, but eh...what the heck.
    In my opinion, like others have said, both types of schools have their pros and cons. There are certainly more private schools that seem to have better facilities and perhaps better teachers (because they are paid better), but public schools also offer something private schools can't...real life. Private schools seem to have this "bubble" around them and the kids are often subjected to less harsh conditions that have an affect on the way they handle life later on.
    Now I will say this. Either a way a parent decides to go, I believe ultimately, the end result of child's character is greatly determined by the parents and how they intervene with their child's activities. I've seen parents who treat private school like a day care. It's a way for them to pawn off the responsibility of their children to someone else and then give the excuse, "Well I'm paying you big money here...why is my child being so disobedient at home and why isn't he learning?" Well, it comes down to you, the parent being involved with every aspect of your child's life. If you're not, then they will have social disfunctional behaviors in the future and will never truly respect you as the authoratative figure in their life. It all goes back to accountability. The same can go for public schools though too. Many parents will blame the school system for their child's unruly behavior and misdemeanors. Take some responsibility and spend time with your kids teaching them the facts of life, and you'll be amazed at well they can turn out.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Did shut everyone up on this? I thought for sure someone would come back and blast me right away. Well maybe it means everyone agrees and I'll be the next President of the United States.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I have 3 kids in private school so there goes my disposable income. I think it depends on the public schools in your area. Although we live in an nice development, the area public school, i.e. student test scores are not good nor is the school rating.

My oldest is in 6th grade going to middle school and our youngest is 3 years old so I've been paying and will be doing tutition for a while at this rate.

While a christian education has layed a solid foundation for our kids, at some point I want to introduce them to the public school, maybe in high school. My feeling is that they do not live in a private world and I want them to be able to deal with people inside and outside Christian school, etc.

Some private schools here in MD have home schooling unberella's which I am checking into. Although you can only take a couple of classes per session, the kids would get the class room setting along with benefits of homeschooling.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I've been to both private and public schools and I would say if you can afford the private school, go that route. There are benefits for each, but I believe the private school's benefits outweigh the public schools...namely, a higher level (or class) of education. Plus with private schools, you can pick ideologies that you agree with that public schools may not be able to teach (i.e. Catholic schools that teach Catholicism).

When my boy is old enough to go to school, I will try and put him in the local Catholic school (and I say try because it is darn expensive!).
    I think it's a very personal choice that the child should be involved in as much as possible. I went to public school through 8th grade, and then attended a private high school for 9-12: Commonwealth High School in Boston, MA (http://www.commschool.org/index2.cfm). My father teaches math and physics there, which provided me with an automatic scholarship to an establishment that my parents could otherwise not afford on their own. Tuition is HORRENDOUSLY expensive, almost as much as when I went to college, but roughly a third of all students are on financial aid.

It's a very small school, and ultimately I credit it for helping me sharpen my focus and develop a love for learning. The grades were small, about 30 kids on average, with an average class size ranging from 3 (i was in an "advanced" US history class with two seniors) to 15.

The small size was fantastic for getting to know other students and establishing relationships with the teachers and obtaining help when needed, but by senior year I felt I had to get out. Our sports are severely limited (although this was where I learned how to play squash) as were the facilities that hte school itself provided, but being right in Boston allowed for many, many options.
    What are some of the best resources for researching private schools?

I know costs can very greatly from school to school and also based on geography. If you don't mind sharing, I would be interested in what you are paying per child (tuition, monthly fees, extra fees, etc...) for their private school to an idea of the range nationally to compare against our local options...as we are currently looking into this right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast