Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Bush appoints Bolton to U.N. post
    President bypasses Senate, appointment lasts until Jan. 2007

WASHINGTON - Aug. 1, 2005
    President Bush sidestepped the Senate and installed embattled nominee John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations on Monday, ending a five-month impasse with Democrats who accused Bolton of abusing subordinates and twisting intelligence to fit his conservative ideology.

“This post is too important to leave vacant any longer, especially during a war and a vital debate about UN reform,” Bush said. He said Bolton had his complete confidence.

Bush put Bolton on the job in a recess appointment — an avenue available to the president when the Congress is in recess. Under the Constitution, a recess appointment during the lawmakers’ August break would last until a newly elected Congress takes office in January 2007.

FULL STORY: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8758621/

2.    #2  
    Reaction to Bolton's U.N. Appointment

Aug 1, 2:39 PM (ET)

By The Associated Press

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8BN6P0G0.html

Reaction to President Bush's recess appointment of John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations:

---

"At a time when we need to reassert our diplomatic power in the world, President Bush has decided to send a seriously flawed and weakened candidate to the United Nations. It's an unnecessary result, and the latest abuse of power by the Bush White House. ... Bolton arrives at the United Nations with a cloud hanging over his head." - Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

---

"The president did the right thing by sending Mr. Bolton to the U.N. He is a smart, principled and straightforward candidate, and will represent the president and America well on the world stage." - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

---

"We look forward to working with him as I do with the other 190 ambassadors and we will welcome him at a time when we are in the midst of major reform. I think it is the president's prerogative, and the president has decided to appoint him through this process." - U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan

---

"Let's not prejudge his behavior. Let's wait for how he comes and what he says here. ... The tendency here at the United Nations is for us to work together. So I hope that this general tendency will prevail." - Brazil's U.N. Ambassador Ronaldo Mota Sardenberg

---

"The president has taken an action that is fully within his authority, is in concert with a clear majority of the Senate, and is in the interest of achieving constructive reform of the United Nations." - Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman **** Lugar, R-Ind.

---

"The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy from the White House continues. ... It's a devious maneuver that evades the constitutional requirement of Senate consent and only further darkens the cloud over Mr. Bolton's credibility at the U.N." - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

---

"I am truly concerned that a recess appointment will only add to John Bolton's baggage and his lack of credibility with the United Nations. That said, the president has made this decision, and I will do everything in my power to support Mr. Bolton as he takes this new position." - Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio

---

"John Bolton has placed his faith in a unilateral, go-it-alone foreign policy that has stretched our military thin, and I believe his inability to be an effective and constructive ambassador could produce dire consequences for American foreign policy." _Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

---

"I accept and understand why the president had to do this. I think it's unfortunate that he had to use this option because John Bolton was denied the fairness of an up-or-down vote. I think John Bolton is well qualified. He is principled. And he will advocate for the U.S. taxpayers." - Sen. George Allen, R-Va.

---

"Making this recess appointment is certainly the president's right, but it is not right for America. Appointing John Bolton to the United Nations sends a terrible message to our intelligence professionals. It is the wrong signal for our intelligence reform efforts." - Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md.

---

"John Bolton is the wrong person for the job and the decision to appoint him today will not serve American foreign policy well at all. ... His history of inflammatory statements about the U.N. will also make it difficult for him to effectively advance U.S. security interests in New York and bring about necessary reforms to that institution." - Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

---

"The president has the right to make this recess appointment, but it's the wrong decision. It only diminishes John Bolton's validity and leverage to secure America's goals at the U.N. John Bolton has been rejected twice by the Senate to serve as our Ambassador to the United Nations. This is not the way to fill our most important diplomatic jobs." - Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.

---

"We filibustered the nomineee. We exercised our perogative under the law. He exercised his perogative under the law." Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-R.I.

---

"He is exactly the wrong person to send to the United Nations at a time when we are trying to rebuild our credibility around the world. ... I now fear that we have lost an important opportunity to help re-establish the United States' global role as a moral and responsible leader." - Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.

---

"It's sad that even while the president preaches democracy around the world, he bends the rules and circumvents the will of Congress in appointing our representative to the United Nations." - Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg, D-N.J.
    now if only he could appoint all the Supreme Court judges the same way.....
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    now if only he could appoint all the Supreme Court judges the same way.....
    I am sure he would appreciate that option with the lower courts, but at least time around I don't think it will be that bad with Roberts.

Remember that this is only a temp appointment due to the filibuster leaving it vacant during the recess period.
    I thought he was really good in those Quaker Oatmeal commercials. He's just what the UN needs!

Seriously, good for the President. The Senate is a bit off their rocker here. If the Democrats want to start deciding who gets to serve in this positions--and on the courts--they might start by winning elections. Advice and consent doesn't mean that the minority party gets who they would select if they were in control. It also doesn't mean that 60 Senators support the nominee. It hasn't worked that way with past Presidents, and it shouldn't with this one. To do otherwise sets a dangerous precedent--and the Dems should remember that someday in the future they will control both the White House and the Senate--these things always change. Will they still hold the same position if when they do the GOP carries on like they have here?

I think not.
    I was being sarcastic the first time (forgot to use the )

But seriously ....
    I'm worried about the lack of checks & balances (yes, even in a time of the so-called "war on terror") - regardless of who is in majority. Dems abused their position in the past and now we may be making similar mistakes again.

I think the best situation is when the legislative and executive are on oppposite sides (and ideally the judiciary should be above the fray) - that way only the interests of the American people are served, rather than a partisan political agenda.

The Dems wrecked things (fiscally and socially) in the 70's with an overly liberal agenda. Now it looks the pendulum is at the other extreme - we are back again being fiscally irresponsible and ramming through a right-wing social agendas.
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    I think that it was a smart move by Pres Bush to put Bolton there. Dems won't like it because its looks as though he is backdooring the political process. My position is that I want at least someone at the UN representing our interests even if it may be temporary.

However, I'm not yet ready to dismantle the 'advise and consent' power of the Senate just yet. I do think its important that we eventually get an up and down vote on a nomination.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Let's remembet that it isn't like the senate has declared the man unfit. They haven't even voted on him. What else is a president supposed to do when he cannot even get the chance to be heard in the senate?
    Short of pulling out of the UN completely, this was the best that could happen at this time.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Kramsauer: I can agree with you that Bolton hasn't even had an up or down vote...but you seem to be saying that Pres. Bush is helpless here because of what the Senate has done. I can't really agree with that because the Pres. has a LOT of informal powers at his disposal (i.e. bully pulpit, political favors that he could call in, trading other appointments for this appointment, etc.)

I think the reason why this one seems so difficult to do is because Pres. Bush (IMHO) has not done the best job in working both sides of the isle when it comes to getting his agenda pushed through Congress. (I think part of the reason is that WA is very polarized right now and Dems probably feel that Pres. Bush has not reached out to them on any legislation).

Like I said, Pres. Bush didn't have a lot of options but IMO he made that bed himself because of his inability to be 'political' with both sides of the Senate. BTW-Senator Frist coming out against him on stem-cell research is a pretty good example ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    (I think part of the reason is that WA is very polarized right now and Dems probably feel that Pres. Bush has not reached out to them on any legislation).
    They lost. Not hard to figure out.
    Kramsauer: I can agree with you that Bolton hasn't even had an up or down vote...but you seem to be saying that Pres. Bush is helpless here because of what the Senate has done. I can't really agree with that because the Pres. has a LOT of informal powers at his disposal (i.e. bully pulpit, political favors that he could call in, trading other appointments for this appointment, etc.)
    But none of those are true "powers" and some of them I would be outraged if he used (well, pretty much all of them).
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I think politics should be more than a zero-sum game. Saying "you lost, so I'm going to steamroll over you" does not serve anyone - the only losers will be the general public caught in the partisan crossfire.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    It may be that black and white, but I think that presidents do have a lot of informal power at their disposal. In order to tap into that power (at least to maximize it) you have to be willing to negotiate and deal. I don't think Pres. Bush has done a lot of that and, as a result, a lot of his higher priority issues are either going nowhere or are under attack in some fashion.

Here is just a partial list:
    -Privatize some of SS
    -Limiting government money on stem cell research
    -Constitutional amendment on marriage
    -Bolton appt.

While I agree that at least a portion of the Dems are bitter because they lost, everyone knows that if you want something done in the Congress, it usually takes both houses.

He will never get the SS issue passed. Compromise or not. Same goes for the gay marriage ban. The stem cell issue is settled (it is as he wishes). The Bolton appt. is the only applicable one of that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    But none of those are true "powers" and some of them I would be outraged if he used (well, pretty much all of them).
    Well they aren't true powers in the sense that they arent enumerated in the constitution but they are true in the sense that they are 'real'.

I wouldnt be so shocked by them either, at some point, I can see almost every president having to use them at some point or another in order to get things done. That's politics...

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    He will never get the SS issue passed. Compromise or not. Same goes for the gay marriage ban. The stem cell issue is settled (it is as he wishes). The Bolton appt. is the only applicable one of that list.
    Maybe...but look at why? I (being left leaning) like his SS plan. But it was 'sold' to the public very poorly and the Dems managed to scare people into thinking that it will sink the system. I don't think the gay marriage ban is out of the question but it will take the GOP to sponsor it (a handful of states have already passed state constitutional amendments). I don't think stem cell is settled. Pres. Bush got what he wanted but the fact that his own Senate Majority Leader would come out and directly oppose him with his support for it doesnt convince me that he is holding his party together (another possible explanation is that Frist is trying to show his independence and 'leadership' for a presidential bid of his own.)

I think politics should be more than a zero-sum game. Saying "you lost, so I'm going to steamroll over you" does not serve anyone - the only losers will be the general public caught in the partisan crossfire.
    Chillig: are you saying it should or should not be a zero sum game? I believe it should not be. Just because one side controls the senate (or the house) does not mean that all of that 'sides' agenda should be pushed through.

For the most part, even if you have control of the Presidency, the House and the Senate, usually you don't have much more than a simple majority and its fairly easy to roadblock certain issues (even more so when your own side flips on you.) This is really obvious when certain issues don't even make it out of committee (and hence don't even get an up or down vote.)

Chillig: are you saying it should or should not be a zero sum game?
    He's saying it should be more than a zero sum game. Therefore, it should not be a zero sum game.
    So why dont the d's step up and help govern the country.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast