Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Iran, IMHO, has been a pretty scary place with US going to extreme measures not to have to go toe to toe with it. I think that Iraq has been recycled over and over again in a role by the US to be a political buffer between the US and Iran.

Although, unlike NK ( http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapc....un/index.html ), Iran has not stated that sanctions would be considered an act of war, but has hinted that it would be a grave jump in that direction.

IRAN – January 18, 2005. Following revelations about its clandestine nuclear research in 2002, Iran pledged to allow UN inspections of the research facilities, then denied access to undeclared sites. In October 2003, Iran promised the trio of Britain, France and Germany that it would cease enriching uranium, only to resume enriching it less than a year later. Under another deal with the “European Three,” concluded in November 2004, Tehran again agreed to suspend uranium enrichment, while continuing to insist that any such activity would aim only at a peaceful nuclear program. The most recent deal has held so far, but Iran’s behavior has failed to allay international suspicions, particularly those of the United States.

Whether Iran’s nuclear program is strictly peaceful or intended for military purposes has not yet been established, but the program’s potential is beyond doubt. Why is Iran engaged in this apparently dogged pursuit of WMD concealed by an endless series of dodges, half-truths and quasi-concessions it fails to implement?
    TEHRAN (Reuters) July 31, 2005 - Iran said it would restart some nuclear activities on Monday unless it receives European Union proposals on Sunday to break a diplomatic impasse.

Skip to next paragraph The EU is due to offer Iran some economic and political incentives in return for an indefinite suspension of uranium enrichment, nuclear fuel reprocessing and related activities.

If Iran does not comply, the EU has threatened to back calls by the United States for the Islamic Republic to be reported to the United Nations Security Council and face possible sanctions.

``If we do not receive the EU proposal today, tomorrow morning we will start part of activities in Isfahan's uranium conversion facility,'' Ali Aghamohammadi, spokesman for the Supreme National Security Council, told state television.

--------------------

Enriched uranium is used in nuclear power plants, but if highly enriched can be used in atomic weaponry.

---------------------

The EU and the United States suspect Iran's nuclear program is a veil for efforts to build a nuclear bomb. Tehran insists it only wants nuclear power to generate electricity.

Iran set a deadline of 1230 GMT on Sunday for the EU to submit its package of incentives, but said it would continue talks with the bloc and would not resume uranium enrichment.

Iran has said the parties originally agreed on an Aug. 1 deadline for submission of the proposals, but the EU's so-called ``Big Three'' -- Britain, France and Germany -- had asked for this to be extended by six days. Tehran said it rejected any delay...................
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/inter...lear-iran.html

If I was a betting man, I would bet the odds for betting were in favor of Iran being turned over to the UN for the next round, in an attempt to apply and enforce sanctions on Iran.

No matter what has happened before, this looks now that it may be the big initial turning point with dealings with Iran concerning the their Nuke program. Some of the big questions are.....Will Iran view sanctions as a hostility with the intention to harm Iran? If they felt they had to retaliate, what do you think they could/would do against US/France/Germany/England/UN at a pay back for sanctions?
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/31/2005 at 05:21 AM.
    The mutual antipathy between Sunni ruled Iraq and Shiite Iran for decades acted as a counter to the other. Our war against Sunni Iraq converted it both into a terrorist haven -- and an ally to Iran.

In the decades after Iran's shiite revolution it has been the primary nation state sponsor of international terror. Our embassy and 271 marines in Lebanon, the Israeli embassy in Argentina, to acts of terror in europe and Saudi Arabia. (btw, Iraq was never a sponsor of international terrorism -- unless you count Sadamm's bungled attempt at revenge on junior's daddy).

junior's "Axis of Evil" tirade, where he named Iraq, Iran, and N. Korea -- persuaded both those surviving regimes that they'd better possess nukes soon, lest the little generalissimo be on them next.

Exhausted and drained by our iraqi quagmire, we are unable to bluff or credibly threaten Iran militarily now, even though they have not yet successfully weaponized their stealthy nuke research.

And partly in reaction to junior's preelection "texan tough talk", the Iranians elected a hardcore govt, antagonistic to the US, and hell bent on nukes.

can there be any dispute that Iran was the great victor in junior's iraq escapade ?? I fear they are very soon to have nukes no matter UN sanctions or our tough talk.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/31/2005 at 08:37 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    The mutual antipathy between Sunni ruled Iraq and Shiite Iran for decades acted as a counter to the other.
    I fully agree.

Our war against Sunni Iraq converted it both into a terrorist haven -- and an ally to Iran.
    Big difference between terrorist situations with Iran and Iraq. In Iraq the terrorist are trying to stop the gov from being establishing a Dem gov. In other words the terrorists are fighting against the gov.

In Iran, the terrorists are supported by the gov. Big difference. Add that to the allegations that the new Iran Pres is suspected of the being a involved in the US Embassy hostage situation.

Ally to Iran a BIG stretch....at least on the a purposed common ground of supporting terrorists as you purpose. There have been reaching out to establish diplomatic ties after several years of war. There have also been military agreements, which could but Iran in a unique situation. Working with the Iraqi military on one side and the possibility of supporting the extremist on the other.

In the decades after Iran's shiite revolution it has been the primary nation state sponsor of international terror. Our embassy and 271 marines in Lebanon, the Israeli embassy in Argentina, to acts of terror in europe and Saudi Arabia.
    Agreed. And they are suspect in many other modern day supporting of terror still going on today. If nothing else by turning a blind eye to an unwritten gov policy of unofficially offering safe haven to terrorist groups.

btw, Iraq was never a sponsor of international terrorism
    May or may not be true, as that could still be in question, as new developing stories are coming out:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=294

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=292

unless you count Saddam's bungled attempt at revenge on junior's daddy
    Man, your flaunt this conspiracy theory all over the place, greatly reducing your credibility when trying to present an intelligent argument. You also state it as a fact that they both sat down over dinner and planned out how they can avenge the first Bush. Do you even have ONE single source for this theory, or is this just a totally tabloid level, personal vindictive, conspiracy theory that you can't resist throwing in every opportunity to spread your obvious propaganda?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=289

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=290

junior's "Axis of Evil" tirade, where he named Iraq, Iran, and N. Korea -- persuaded both those surviving regimes that they'd better possess nukes soon, lest the little generalissimo be on them next.
    I would have to agree.

But consider the fact that NK already has up to 8 Nukes thanks to Clinton's deal with NK of giving them aid, while apparently not effectively monitoring NK's side of the agreement or at least not adding appropriate safe guards to verify their compliance of not pursuing nukes under the deal.

That Saddam has already testified that he had plans to get Nukes, including re-establishing the infrastructure of producing Nukes and the financing of the program, which apparently included in part the Oil for Food Scandal.

That Iran had been hiding their Nuke program for around 20 years with lies concerning all sides of it during that time. No can say for sure, but looking at all the evidence, their history, their continual half truths about their program, kicking out inspectors when the seem to be watching too closely, trying to hide nuke facilities until it is absolutely undeniable that it is there, etc.... I strongly suspect that their plans, were already laid out well before that speech.

Exhausted and drained by our Iraqi quagmire, we are unable to bluff or credibly threaten Iran militarily now, even though they have not yet successfully weaponized their stealthy nuke research.
    The Iraqi Quagmire statement from many of the Far Left has long dropped from the field of view. There is no doubt we face great loss over there, but it has been pointed out by even the media that situation does not come close to holding up to Vietnam. Even the self confessed left media didn't stick with that for long, mainly due to the fact that even though we face losses on a continual basis, we are also doing a lot of good and meeting nearly every deadline set.........but that discussing needs to be taken up on the Iraq thread, not on this one.

But I do agree with you that we would be hard pressed, though unwisely possible, to initiate military options against Iran while we are still tied to cleaning up the situation in Iraq. I personally feel that Iraq needed to be addressed, my big question is the timing concerning other threats at the time and now. I assume that you would agree that all cannot be taken care of at once. Then it comes down to what to do first.

IRAN: As I mentioned in the first post, I personally think that the US has always been all too aware of the threat of Iran, which has lead to many of our decisions in dealing with both Iraq and Iran. I personally think that is one (among a mountain of others) consideration why during the first Gulf war, we did not go all the way to take out Bagdad, is that Iraq offers a political buffer between the US and Iran and helps to stop a full head on toe to toe situation.

To tell you the truth Iran possibly scares me more than any other immediate threat for a couple reasons. NK obviously can hurl nukes our way, but I feel is unable to wage any other long term war because of their economy being so bad, food so scarce, and energy resources always low. But Iran I feel has the economy, political momentum, and the man power to wage a VERY serious war against the US. This would make the Iraq war look like game a Risk compared to it, if it came to feet on the ground.

NKorea: The big difference between Iraq and NK is that NK already has up to 8 unconfirmed nukes with an unconfirmed delivery capability to launch a strike against the entire West Coast of the US with a push of a button. Iraq was claiming (or at least not allowing confirmation that they were not) to be really close to nuke capability and we still had a chance to act before they got it.

Syria: I think this could have been a possibility, not because of their political, or economical, or military factors, but for making their county a safe haven for terrorist. I think it would have been a similar situation as in Iraq. A quick fall of the gov and a long haul effort to reform the gov while dealing with all the terrorist in the country and those who would come in to join the fight. It may be a target soon because of their continual support of terrorist while thumbing their nose at the rest of us.

Pakistan: This again falls into a NK category as they also have nukes and have proved with 5 tests in 1998. http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/pakistan/nuke/ . Again a country that already has nukes is a whole different situation than one on verge of getting them, like Iran and Iraq.

Lybia: After seeing that the US meant business with those playing games with WMDs, already gave theirs up and welcomed us in to make sure there they had it all. This is an example of what can happen when we stand up to threats and follow through on what we say we are going to do.

And partly in reaction to junior's preelection "texan tough talk", the Iranians elected a hardcore govt, antagonistic to the US, and hell bent on nukes.
    After all the lies of Iran, how are you suppose to talk to Iran? Any gov controlled election that restricts the list of those running, is always a red flag for me personally.

can there be any dispute that Iran was the great victor in junior's iraq escapade ??
    Your bias is showing again!

But I do agree with the statement, that Iran has certainly gained many positive factors from the Iraq situation.

I fear they are very soon to have nukes no matter UN sanctions or our tough talk.
    Truthfully, I think this would have happened no matter what, who was in office, or if we had gone into Iraq or not.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/01/2005 at 11:31 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Iran: Europe Proposes Nonaggression Pact
    Sunday, July 31, 2005

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's hard-line Revolutionary Guards pledged their loyalty Tuesday to the country's ultraconservative president-elect, who called for an end to accusations that he took Americans hostage and killed a Kurdish opposition leader.

The guards' welcome of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (search) was in stark contrast to their threat four years ago to attack supporters of outgoing reformist President Mohammad Khatami (search) if they threatened Iran's Islamic regime.

FULL STORY: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164051,00.html
    Hobbes -- I resent your descending to the level of rational analysis in response to my hyper inflammatory posts.

if you insist on continuing to react this way, I warn you that it may well prove impossible to avoid a meaningful dialogue !!

I haven’t time to say more – but have no essential quarrel with your reply to what I wrote. (I try to write more later... )

Regarding the allegation that junior went after sadamm because sadaam went after daddy (inferred in my post) I can't look into that dark empty chamber that is junior's head to learn the truth to my supposition –- but it is based though, on that respected Doctor Frist’s technique of remote diagnosis.
  6.    #6  
    Hobbes -- I resent your descending to the level of rational analysis in response to my hyper inflammatory posts.

if you insist on continuing to react this way, I warn you that it may well prove impossible to avoid a meaningful dialogue !!
    Man, all those sleepless nights trying to predict your response and what I would say in return......all for nothing!
  7.    #7  
    Iran to Delay Reopening of Nuclear Plant

Aug 1, 1:40 PM (ET)

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI

ISFAHAN, Iran (AP) - Iran agreed Monday to a two-day delay in reopening its nuclear processing plant here after receiving a request from the head of the U.N.'s atomic watchdog agency.

International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohammed ElBaradei asked Tehran for a "maximum of two days" to send its inspectors to Iran's nuclear facility where they can oversee the dismantling of U.N. seals, said Ali Agha Mohammadi, spokesman for Iran's Supreme National Security Council.

Earlier, Mohammadi said Iranian technicians would break the seals and restart nuclear processing on Monday.

--------------

Earlier in the day, ElBaradei warned Iran "not to take any action that might prejudice the process at this critical stage."

European Union negotiators have said they are mere days from delivering a package of incentives addressing security, political, economic and nuclear issues.

"I also call on Iran not to take any unilateral action that could undermine the agency inspection process at a time when the agency is making steady progress in resolving outstanding issues," ElBaradei said.

Iran's earlier announcement to allow uranium processing to resume was a setback to efforts by Britain, Germany and France, which have been negotiating with Tehran to try to persuade Iran to drop its enrichment program in return for the incentives.

-----------------------

"The proposal not only fails to address Iran's rights for peaceful development of nuclear technology, but even falls far short of correcting the illegal and unjustified restrictions placed on Iran's economic and technological development, let alone providing firm guarantees for economic, technological and nuclear cooperation and firm commitments on security issues," the Iranians had said.

Reprocessing uranium is a step below uranium enrichment, which is to remain suspended, said Mohammadi. The United States claims the Iranian nuclear program is designed to produce weapons, a claim Iran denies. Iran maintains its suspension of uranium enrichment in November was voluntary and that it had the right to resume the activities.

A resumption of uranium processing could have landed Iran before the United Nations Security Council to face sanctions, as previously called for by the United States.

The Isfahan plant can convert uranium ore concentrate, known as yellowcake, into uranium gas, the feedstock for enrichment.

-----------------

European diplomats said Sunday that if Isfahan were restarted, an emergency IAEA board meeting would be called to set a deadline for the Iranians to "see the error of their ways" and stop their enrichment activities.

If such a deadline were not met, a Security Council referral was a likely next step, the officials said.

Iranian officials have signaled an intensifying impatience with the slow pace of negotiations with Europe, and an incoming conservative administration in Tehran has showed signs of wanting to harden the country's stance.

------------------

"Iran will not give in to any further waste of time."

Iran suspended enrichment of uranium in November under international pressure.

FULL STORY: http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8BN5T680.html

Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/01/2005 at 01:47 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Iran to resume nuclear work in defiance of EU

http://reuters.myway.com//article/20...R-IRAN-DC.html

Here some additional details in the article added to the quoted article above.
  9.    #9  
    Iran says it hopes for nuke restart Wednesday
    Tehran rejects IAEA proposal to wait before resuming uranium conversion

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8770399/

TEHRAN - Iran said it hoped to restart work at a uranium conversion plant on Wednesday, rejecting as unacceptable a proposal by the U.N. nuclear watchdog that it wait a week for surveillance equipment to be installed.

The European Union has warned Iran that any resumption of nuclear fuel activities would mean an end to two years of negotiations over Iran’s atomic ambitions, which Tehran says are peaceful but which the West suspects are aimed at making a bomb.

The EU would then back U.S. calls to start a process that could end in the Islamic Republic being referred to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions.

--------------------

The IAEA, however, said it would take at least a week to send surveillance equipment from its headquarters in Vienna and install it in Isfahan.

“One week is not acceptable for Iran for the installation of equipment,” Aghamohammadi said. “Iran is hoping we will be able to resume activities today.”

-----------------

The so-called EU3 of Britain, France and Germany has said a resumption would torpedo two years of hard bargaining and spark an international crisis.

----------------

The conversion plant near Isfahan turns uranium ore into gas. The gas is then enriched into fuel that could be used either in power stations or to make weapons.
  10.    #10  
    CHRONOLOGY-Iran's nuclear programme

Here are some major events since the nuclear programme first came to light:

Aug. 2002 - Exiled opposition group the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) says there is a massive uranium enrichment facility at Natanz and a heavy water plant at Arak.

Dec. 2002 - With the help of satellite photos of Natanz and Arak, the United States accuses Iran of "across-the-board pursuit of weapons of mass destruction".

Feb. 2003
    - International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Mohamed ElBaradei and his team inspects Natanz and Arak.

June. 2003 - IAEA issues first report after the inspection, saying Tehran has failed to comply with its obligations under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

July. 2003 - Diplomats tell Reuters the IAEA has found traces of weapons-grade highly-enriched uranium (HEU) at Natanz.

Sept. 2003 - IAEA finds weapons-grade HEU traces at a second site in Iran, the Kalaye Electric Company.

Oct. 2003 - Iran tells French, British and German foreign ministers it will suspend all enrichment-related activities.

Dec. 2003 - Iran signs protocol allowing snap inspections of its nuclear facilities.

March 2004 - IAEA board "deplores" Iran's omissions of key atomic technology from its October declaration.

June 2004 - IAEA board says Iran's cooperation with the agency was not full, timely and proactive. Satellite pictures show Iran razed a site at Lavizan in Tehran that U.S. officials say was related to atomic programme.

Sept. 2004 - IAEA asks Iran to suspend uranium enrichment programme immediately.

Nov. 2004 - Iran promises France, Britain and Germany to suspend all nuclear fuel processing and re-processing work.

Jan. 2005 - Iran agrees to allow U.N. inspections of military site where Washington believes work linked to bomb-making.

Feb. 2005 - President Mohammed Khatami says no Iranian government, present or future, will give up nuclear technology programmes, including uranium enrichment. Iran signs a nuclear fuel supply deal with Russia, opposed by the U.S., to start its first atomic power plant by 2006.

May 2005 - Iran agrees at a meeting with the European Union in Geneva to hold off on plans to restart the Isfahan uranium processing plant for two months after EU warnings that it would be referred to the U.N. Security Council. Two sides agree to meet again in late July.

July 26, 2005 - Khatami says Iran will resume some key work on its nuclear fuel cycle regardless of what the Europeans propose.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8472950/
    Perks up!!

Did someone say WMD????
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  12.    #12  
    Hey.....that's a swear word in Iran!

The polite term is Electical Power
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Hey.....that's a swear word in Iran!

The polite term is Electical Power
    you're right ...they are just going to use the nukes for peaceful purposes aren't they?

Iran’s new president-elect, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, raised eyebrows in the international community today by claiming that his nation is building what he called “the most peaceful nuclear weapon ever.”

In a press briefing in Tehran, Mr. Ahmadinejad acknowledged for the first time that Iran was in fact building a nuclear weapon, but pooh-poohed any talk of Iran being a threat to its neighbors, telling reporters, “The nuclear bomb we are currently building is for display purposes only.”

Mr. Ahmadinejad said that it was his hope that in building the world’s most peaceful nuclear weapon, other nations in the region and around the world would build totally peaceful nuclear weapons of their own.

But the Iranian president-elect’s claims about the peacefulness of his nuclear weapon drew a somewhat skeptical response from International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Mohamed ElBaradei, who told reporters that he had seen Iran’s nuclear weapon and noticed that it was “hooked up to a countdown clock like you see in James Bond movies.”

The IAEA chief added, “Also, it was attached to a little box with a red button on it – what’s that all about?”

In response to Mr. ElBaradei’s question, Mr. Ahmadinejad said, “A little red button is nothing to worry about. Red is a happy color.”

In Washington, President Bush criticized Mr. Ahmadinejad’s nuclear policy and also complained that “Ahmadinejad” was “nearly impossible to spell.”

Elsewhere, in his most gloomy assessment to date, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld said that the insurgency in Iraq could last longer than Cher’s Farewell Tour.
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    I nevertheless reconfirm that I believe that Iran is and has always been, a real and ongoing terrorist danger. And because the little generalissomo eliminated their Iraqi enemy, they have been able to redirect those military resources away from defending against Sadamm, to offending against us (with nukes.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080101453.html

Iran Is Judged 10 Years From Nuclear Bomb
    U.S. Intelligence Review Contrasts With Administration Statements

By Dafna Linzer
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, August 2, 2005; A01

A major U.S. intelligence review has projected that Iran is about a decade away from manufacturing the key ingredient for a nuclear weapon, roughly doubling the previous estimate of five years, according to government sources with firsthand knowledge of the new analysis.

The carefully hedged assessments, which represent consensus among U.S. intelligence agencies, contrast with forceful public statements by the White House. Administration officials have asserted, but have not offered proof, that Tehran is moving determinedly toward a nuclear arsenal. The new estimate could provide more time for diplomacy with Iran over its nuclear ambitions. President Bush has said that he wants the crisis resolved diplomatically but that "all options are on the table."...
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/03/2005 at 02:15 PM.
    whoa! reduce the font size dude! some of us use the Treos here!
  16.    #16  
    BARYE, ya I know, the article I linked to above 30 minutes ago in POST #9 states that.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/03/2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Chillig35 -- Sorry !! (never tried the Font sizing thingy before )

Hobbes -- sorry, missed that ...

my bads
  18.    #18  
    NP....I will still let you post on the forums!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/03/2005 at 10:12 PM.
  19.    #19  
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080101453.html

Iran Is Judged 10 Years From Nuclear Bomb
    U.S. Intelligence Review Contrasts With Administration Statements

By Dafna Linzer
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, August 2, 2005; A01."...
    But with their terrorist ties, it does not mean that they cannot make Nuke weapon grade material TODAY, and pass it along to terrorists.

There is more than their own ability to develop, make, and deploy their own nuke weapon.

Plus right now, we are talking about the EU3 of Britain, France and Germany negotiations with Iran. This is only a single step in the diplomatic process. It will still have to go to the UN for review and issuing sanctions. ( Considering the UNs unimpressive history of not enforcing it's own resolutions, we see how that goes). That will take quite a bit of time and I am sure numerous resolutions. That was a 12 year process with Iraq.

What the big news of today is that Iran is going to restart it's refining WITHOUT monitoring equipment installed. So they would have a week worth of work without confirmation of their intent.
  20.    #20  
    Iran Rejects European Nuke Proposal
    Saturday, August 06, 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164929,00.html

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran (search) rejected Europe's proposal for ending the standoff over Tehran's nuclear program, saying Saturday it was "unacceptable" because it did not give the country the right to enrich uranium.

-----------------

The Paris Agreement (search) was reached between Iran and Britain, France and Germany — the three European countries negotiating on behalf of the 25-member European Union. Under the deal, signed in November in Paris, Iran agreed to continue suspension of uranium enrichment and all related activities, including uranium conversion, until negotiations proceed for a political settlement.

Enriched uranium can be used in the production of nuclear energy or nuclear weapons.

-----------------

Asefi said the primary reason for Iran's rejection was the European failure to include Tehran's right to enrich uranium.

"We had already announced that any plan has to recognize Iran's right to enrich uranium," he said.

New Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad declared Saturday that his foreign policy would focus on good relations with the rest of the world, but he rejected outside pressure on his government to change course — an apparent reference to the growing international confrontation over Iran's nuclear program.

"I don't know why some countries do not want to understand the fact that the Iranian people do not tolerate force," Ahmadinejad said.

On Friday, the Europeans sought to entice Iran into a binding commitment not to build atomic arms by offering to provide fuel and other long-term support to help Iranians generate electricity with nuclear energy.

---------------

Iran has long claimed its nuclear program was solely for the peaceful production of electricity, even though it has vast oil reserves. Washington charged the real aim was to produce arms. The discovery of clandestine aspects of Iran's program raised worries among other nations and pressure had mounted on Iran.

The U.N. nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, said it would hold an emergency meeting Tuesday to discuss safeguards in Iran. The agency has repeatedly warned Iran not to resume uranium conversion at its facility at Isfahan until an IAEA monitoring system is in place.

The facility converts raw uranium, known as yellow cake, into a gas that is the feedstock for enrichment. The IAEA board could refer Iran to the U.N. Security Council for consideration of sanctions.

Asefi said the meeting will have no legal justification.

"It's to bring political pressure on Iran. It's a psychological war," he said.

The 34-page proposal promised Iran a long-term supply of enriched uranium from other countries, on condition that spent fuel was returned. Iran also could buy peaceful nuclear technology, opening the door to such deals as Russia's $800-million contract to build a reactor in the southern Iranian port city of Bushehr and supply fuel.

In return, the Europeans called on Iran to make a "legally binding commitment not to withdraw" from the nuclear treaty, as North Korea did, and to agree to permit surprise inspections by the IAEA and abandon all uranium activities, including conversion, enrichment and reprocessing.

The EU nations also say Iran must stop construction of its heavy water research reactor in the city of Arak. Nuclear experts consider heavy water reactors a danger because they use higher-grade plutonium suitable for weapons use.

They say the Arak reactor can yield enough plutonium from spent fuel to make one atomic bomb a year.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast