1.    #1  
    I have a CD-ROM based, self paced training system for staff.

The training system itself is proprietory and exists only on my PC's and the training modules are on 15 CD's. I also have a similar training system, on laptops, for the managers which they take home along with their CD's.

The CD's are forever getting damaged and often the scratches then cause system slowdowns and freezes/crashes.

I would like to eliminate the need for the CD's by copying them onto the hard drives. This is the easy part and should only take 10Gig per PC.

The company I franchise from likes and agrees with my idea and will pursue it... but not now... other priorities.

In the interim, I could do this right now if there was a utility that could point the Training Software at the training module data now on the hard drive instead of the CD drive.

When the employee selects a module to complete, the training system prompts for that module's CD-ROM and this utility would bypass that prompt and automatically direct the program to the proper files now located directly on the hard drive... hopefully, all transparent to the trainee.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of virtual CD drive (for lack of a better name)?
    Yes -- do a google for a something called 'daemon-tools' (freeware); or, you can look into commercial software like Farstone's VirtualDrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by onree
    Yes -- do a google for a something called 'daemon-tools' (freeware); or, you can look into commercial software like Farstone's VirtualDrive.
    Alcohol 120% is another good one...and this one you have to pay for
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by onree
    I did see, in my previous googleing, the word daemon... I'll drill down deeper on that one and also investigate Farstone's VirtualDrive.

Thanks onree, you've pointed me in the right direction!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Alcohol 120% is another good one...and this one you have to pay for
    Hey mofo... got milk?

Thanks for the lead... Alcohol Software's 120% can create 31 virtual drives...
    I'll investigate that one too.

I wonder if there's a dialog box that will let the trainee select the proper "virtual CD" file on the hard drive? Right now the software just prompts the user to put the proper CD module in the tray and will reject it if it's not the module they selected to learn...

More homework...

PS. You could also be referring to Alcool 120%... that lovely essence that can also power cars in la belle province.

I would like to give you a head's up though that it's even more dangerous than milk when channeled through the tear ducts instead of the nose...

Oh yah... hope you got the technical answers you were researching also...
    Last edited by Big_OTR_Fan; 07/28/2005 at 03:23 PM.
    I used to use fakecd (a looooong time ago). not sure if it still works with current stuff though.
    good luck
    I'm silly and do "mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso"

If you're a Microsoft user, I hope you've read-up on "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)" that's getting shoved down your throat. It's going to be an eye-opener for you.
    So I did go and read up on this "Genuine Advantage" -- but how does it relate to OP's question? Seems like that's designed to prevent unauthorized versions of Windows.
  9.    #9  
    Hey eg;

Linux has always intrigued me but I know nothing about it except that its open source.

I went from DOS 6.22 to XP... (actually there were a few Win3.1 apps along the way... but didn't know Win95 or 98 or 2000)

The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tooll... at the moment? is only validating XP as far as I understand.

Anyway, all my machines are fully complient with all MS licenses/products and other vendors too.

Have you got more insight into MS's anti-piracy initiative?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Hey eg;

Linux has always intrigued me but I know nothing about it except that its open source.

I went from DOS 6.22 to XP... (actually there were a few Win3.1 apps along the way... but didn't know Win95 or 98 or 2000)

The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tooll... at the moment? is only validating XP as far as I understand.

Anyway, all my machines are fully complient with all MS licenses/products and other vendors too.

Have you got more insight into MS's anti-piracy initiative?
    It's 2000 too, check it out:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

You outta check out http://www.ubuntulinux.org if you have dummy machine to test on. It's a good idea to be fluent in multiple OSs so you can glean the best from each one.