Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Is this really that important?? I mean it's not like fondue recipies or anything
    Football is like, um, life.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I think they were referring to his landlines. Supposedly he has 4 house/office numbers as well as his 2 cell numbers.
    Does he fax his contracts from his Treo
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Unfortunately for Palm, it will be a "Pilot" for the uninitiated for a long time.
    So will my Treo run for a month on a AAA battery??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Football is like, um, life.
    We had that out here like...about ten years ago.

Oh well...how 'bout them Trojans!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I tend to think players should honor their contracts, and not hold out for more money just because they changed their mind. They're adults, and no one forced them to agree to anything.

OTOH, the owners aren't exactly angels of mercy. They have no hesitation when it comes to demanding players renegotiate their contracts or get cut. The truth is, both sides of this bargaining equation negotiate with their fingers crossed.
    I would like to see both sides honor their contracts, but the fact of the matter is that neither side can be trusted. Players who feel they are performing above their contracts will immediately try to renegotiate (see Sean Taylor) and hold out if they don't get what they want, and owners will cut expensive players and not owe them a dime, regardless of how they're performing. Plus, so many contracts like TO's are so heavily backloaded that the player will never see that money. There's no chance that Philly will keep him around at the end of his current contract, he'll be way too old and expensive. So they'll cut him and take a smaller salary cap hit. Why shouldn't he try to get as much money now as possible?

However, I also understand that the owners are the ones incurring all of the financial risk in running a team, and the players will get paid regardless of how ticket sales are going.

Both sides, and the fans too, need to understand this is more of a business than a game.
    I'm back!
  6.    #26  
    Does he fax his contracts from his Treo
    I heard the next version of Lightwav will do that.

It still won't allow you to answer the phone before restarting though.
    I'm back!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    So will my Treo run for a month on a AAA battery??
    Mine hardly makes it a day on the battery it's got now.....
    I'm back!
    Is this really that important?? I mean it's not like fondue recipies or anything
    Mmm. I love fondue!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to say that around here ), but the term "contract" as it relates to the NFL is used in the most loose sense. If I understand it correctly, a player enters into a "contract" with a team. The player is then obligated to play out that contract, but the team can fire the player at any point with no further financial obligation to the player. The team also can request that the player resturcture the contract for salary cap or other reasons. If the player refuses, "I have a contract", the team can waive (fire) him. When you hear things like a $50 million, 5 year NFL contract, it ALWAYS gets reworked, or the player is canned before the full value is realized.

Seems like a great deal for the owners. While I don't always agree with their tactics, given the short average NFL career (2.5-3 years), I can see where the players want to flex their muscle to get paid more.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to say that around here ), but the term "contract" as it relates to the NFL is used in the most loose sense. If I understand it correctly, a player enters into a "contract" with a team. The player is then obligated to play out that contract, but the team can fire the player at any point with no further financial obligation to the player. The team also can request that the player resturcture the contract for salary cap or other reasons. If the player refuses, "I have a contract", the team can waive (fire) him. When you hear things like a $50 million, 5 year NFL contract, it ALWAYS gets reworked, or the player is canned before the full value is realized.

Seems like a great deal for the owners. While I don't always agree with their tactics, given the short average NFL career (2.5-3 years), I can see where the players want to flex their muscle to get paid more.
    For the most part, this is true in the NFL. The owners still incur a salary cap hit if they just release a player under contract, but I believe there is some relief from the full amount that they would've owed the player. However, they don't owe the released player any of that money, unless the player wins a grievance suit (they were released due to an NFL-related injury). That's part of the hypocrasy of NFL "contracts".

Now, it's a completely different story in MLB, where most of the contracts are guaranteed and it's not unusual to hear of a team continuing to pay a player who hasn't been on their team in years. This is why the MLB Players Association is the strongest, most powerful union in the world. Let's see the Teamsters negotiate that kind of deal.
    I'm back!
    Now, it's a completely different story in MLB, where most of the contracts are guaranteed and it's not unusual to hear of a team continuing to pay a player who hasn't been on their team in years. This is why the MLB Players Association is the strongest, most powerful union in the world. Let's see the Teamsters negotiate that kind of deal.
    a mlb team can release (designate for assignment) a player, and still owe him for the rest of his contract. and, if another team picks him up, they only have to pay the minimum salary and the old team pick up the diff.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    a mlb team can release (designate for assignment) a player, and still owe him for the rest of his contract. and, if another team picks him up, they only have to pay the minimum salary and the old team pick up the diff.
    But the player still gets the original value of the contract though, correct?

yes.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Mmm. I love fondue!

"hey Strong Bad, i brought back your fondue pot!"
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    CPcrazyfly: that hit by Dawkins in your signature....NICE (is that on Crumpler from the Falcons...he isnt not lightweight).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    This is why you almost never hear of a baseball player looking to renegotiate before their contract expires, or at least, never threaten to hold out.

You hear of guys whine about their contracts all the time, but it always gets worked out, and I can't remember the last guy who didn't report to Spring Training on time.
    I'm back!
    For the most part, this is true in the NFL. The owners still incur a salary cap hit if they just release a player under contract, but I believe there is some relief from the full amount that they would've owed the player. However, they don't owe the released player any of that money, unless the player wins a grievance suit (they were released due to an NFL-related injury). That's part of the hypocrasy of NFL "contracts".

I think signing bonuses are paid up front -- which is why that bonus gets counted against the cap when a player gets cut
    (the bonus prorated against the contract's length, minus years already played -- balance left applies to the cap when he's cut)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I think signing bonuses are paid up front -- which is why that bonus gets counted against the cap when a player gets cut
    (the bonus prorated against the contract's length, minus years already played -- balance left applies to the cap when he's cut)
    Yeah, I think that's what the cap hit is.
    I'm back!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12