Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Denver Pit Bull Owners in a Panic Over Ban

By MEGAN McCLOSKEY, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Jul 21, 7:35 AM ET

DENVER - A few weeks ago, two police cars and two animal control vehicles pulled up at the home of Stef'ny Steffan looking for her beloved 4-year-old pit bull, Xena. Seven officers hauled the animal off to the city shelter, putting her on death row. Xena became an outlaw after Denver won a court fight and reinstated one of the toughest pit-bull bans in the nation.

Since May, more than 380 dogs have been impounded and at least 260 destroyed — an average of more than three a day.

Dog owners are in a panic. Some are using an underground railroad of sorts, sending their pets to live elsewhere or hiding them from authorities. City officials would not estimate how many people might be violating the ordinance.

Some owners, like Steffan, have won a reprieve for their pets with help from a rescue group. The group got Xena released by signing an affidavit stating that the animal would never return to Denver. The group took the dog to Mariah's Promise in Divide, an animal sanctuary that has accepted more than three dozen pit bulls from Denver.

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ver_dog_ban_11
    Hey Dutch!!!!
    Well behaved women rarely make history

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    That is so bad I have had one for 9 yrs and she is really a loving dog
    I know what pit bulls can do but you have to treat them individualy. Don't ban an entire community for what a few have done.
    They should impound and destroy the whiney dog-haters, instead of the dog.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Not dog haters, how about those who train dogs to fight other dogs. Or those that think that it is a status symbol to have a vicious dog? I believe that there is more than a little truth in the saying “There are no bad dogs, just bad owners”.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    They should impound and destroy the whiney dog-haters, instead of the dog.
    Good for Denver. Pit bulls are like guns that like to fire at random times. Sure some responsible gun owners can keep this gun from accidently shooting innocent people, but society is better off without them.

Proud Human rights activist.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    Good for Denver. Pit bulls are like guns that like to fire at random times. Sure some responsible gun owners can keep this gun from accidently shooting innocent people, but society is better off without them.

Uh Oh.
    wasnt there another dog thread that turned sore?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Dogs they ban but not fully automatic guns ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    If the dogs were fully automatic, maybe they wouldnt have banned them. I dont know
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    fully automatic guns or fully automatic dogs....

its like that saying..

you have the right to bear arms or the right to arm bears.... whatever the hell you wanna do....
    I gotta have more cowbell
    exactly
    In response to some of the opinions expressed here, I change my above post to, Limp wristed sackless whiney babies need to be impounded and destroyed.

uh oh is right!
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome

hello friend
    Although I personally wouldn't own a pitbull, I wonder what led the locality to ban them? Was there an incident that started it?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Seems a bit cruel to me. Adolescent males are more likely to kill people too, but we don't dispatch with all of them.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "In response to some of the opinions expressed here, I change my above post to, Limp wristed sackless whiney babies need to be impounded and destroyed"

yeah, make 'em limp back. they'll walk over, but then they're limpin' back.

watch out now!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Do you have any idea what you're talking about? You need a Class III to own an automatic weapon. In a sense, they are baned. "Machine Guns" may not be owned by civilians without a Class III license, unless the firearm has been certified de-commissioned (rendered totally unable to fire or capable of being rebuilt to fire).

There are two kinds of firearms under U.S. (federal) law, title 1 firearms and title 2. Title 1 firearms are long guns (rifles and shotguns), handguns, silencer, and firearm frames or receivers. Most NFA weapons are also title 1 firearms. Title 2 weapons are NFA weapons. Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act is the National Firearms Act (codified at 26 U.S.C. sec. 5801 et seq.), hence NFA. Title 1 is generally called the Gun Control Act, (18 U.S.C. sec. 921 et seq.). NFA weapons are also sometimes called class 3 weapons, because a class 3 SOT (see below) is needed to deal in NFA weapons.

NFA weapons are: machine guns, sound suppressors (a.k.a. silencers), short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, destructive devices and "any other weapons". Exactly what these weapons are defined in the law, as well as in court cases interpreting the law.

Additionally, automatic weapons don't go around shooting people. My firearms don't randomly take aim, and fire at innoncent people. Your allusion of pitbulls to automatic weapons have no merit. Just because I own a firearm doesn't mean I have a propensity to shoot people. Just because I own an automobile doesn't mean I have a propensity to run over school children, and if I did, it's not a fault of the automobile.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast