Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    here here!!!
    In Switzerland 125 postal workers were bitten by dogs in the year 2000. They suffered mostly minor injuries, but they had to be off of work up to 3 days. 10 postal workers had major injuries.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    Woof,
    Here's a hypothetical for you. Take two random dogs a pit bull and a golden retriever. You don't know their up bringing, they are just random dogs. Now, you are given a choice to leave your cute little daughter in your avatar for 5 minutes in a room with one of the dogs. Which will it be? The Pit bull or the Golden retriever?
    That's also a terrible argument. I'll give you a drunk 18 year old high school dropout and a 55 year old grandmother. Make the same choice. Do we now kill all 18 year old drunks? No.
    How many pitbulls would it take to kill a tiger
    Not as many as it take midgets to kill a lion.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Not as many as it take midgets to kill a lion.
    The "midgets", or little people, need more, because they fight so much against themselves.
    It should be known, there have been fatal attacks in the U.S. by Pomeranians, that half a dozen attacks that caused death or serious injuries were by cocker spaniels. FYI
    I think all animals should be sentenced to death for crimes against humanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    It should be known, there have been fatal attacks in the U.S. by Pomeranians, that half a dozen attacks that caused death or serious injuries were by cocker spaniels. FYI
    Source? To dubious to quote?

Why arent Cocker Spaniels mentioned in the CDC study?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    That's also a terrible argument. I'll give you a drunk 18 year old high school dropout and a 55 year old grandmother. Make the same choice. Do we now kill all 18 year old drunks? No.
    oh c'mon, we're talking about dogs here, not human beings. Man, talk about a terrible argument...............
    I do think Pitbulls have gotten a bad rep. But bottom line, dogs are animals, and although I'm no Pitbull fan, I just saw the cutiest pitbull puppy. But I knew better. (I'm in the market for a family pet and have been on the internet looking for best pets for kids)

I know that any dog can attack, difference is Pitbulls when they attack, can do so until victim is dead.

I suspect it is not so much that the dog is an attacker, but that they had a hand up from a bad owner who has taught or incited the dogs to violence or attack. And these owners should be held responsible if proven.

A few months ago I had to find a new home for our Shicz Tzu cuz he sometimes liked to snawl, snap at the kids and even bit me a couple of times when he did not want to be bothered. I could have said he was aggitated, (but he wasn't disturbed while eating, sleeping or drinking). And if he caused any real harm or damage to another human being, I would be responsible. Despite what the research said, our dog was not family friendly. (haha, to my family) He probably would have did better in a space where he did not have to share anyone. But what's the point of having a pet if you can't trust them with the family and kids.

Difference here is that he could not bring anyone to death, but he had to go just the same. I placed him with a new owner who had no kids and I explained that he was not good with kids.

BTW, when I researched Pitbull on the web (after not finding them listed with the AKC), I found this quote:

"There is no specific breed of dog called a "pit bull". The term refers to a group of dogs developed a for competitive dog fighting."

So if you own a Pitbull, continue to be a good dog owner, but don't let the bad apples spoil the bunch. However, I do agree that any dog who all out attacks should be put down, but not rounded up and killed based on breed alone.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 07/25/2005 at 12:28 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Source? To dubious to quote?

Why arent Cocker Spaniels mentioned in the CDC study?
    Talk about dubious information. Your "source information" from the CDC is from May of 1997. While maybe in June of 1997 it was of interest, one would think that with your glass half empty personality, you would have found something current, something really juicy, but alas, you failed once again to bring anything meaningful to the table. It's probably because you just dont get it.
    A police dog in Basel, Switzerland, has got the sack for biting an innocent bystander at the scene of a burglary.

Shep, a six-year-old German shepherd, was taken off duty after the incident.

The man had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance for treatment to a leg injury.

Shep's handler, who had been called to a burglary at a city boutique, was told the suspect was still in the building.

But as officers carried out a search, the dog wandered outside to where a group of people were watching events. He then bit a 20-year-old man.

Shep was one of eight dogs serving with Basel police. A spokesman said this was the first such incident to have occurred in the city.
    Talk about dubious information. Your "source information" from the CDC is from May of 1997. While maybe in June of 1997 it was of interest, one would think that with your glass half empty personality, you would have found something current, something really juicy, but alas, you failed once again to bring anything meaningful to the table.
    While the data from my source may not be terribly new, at least the source of the data is a well respected US institution worth quoting. That's something not everybody here can claim.
    It's probably because you just dont get it.
    The usual personal attack, so what's new?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    According to the "Rheintaler Bote", 21. Nov. ’96 a weekly newspaper of the Rheinvalley in Eastern Switzerland, there are still people who eat dogs regularly.

In Switzerland, unlike in other countries, the personal consumption of domestic animals is not forbidden, only the trade in such animals is not allowed.

In an interview a farmer told the journalist that "meat from dogs is the healthiest of all. It has shorter fibres than cow meat, has no hormones like veal, no antibiotics like pork".

A restaurant owner in Widnau, a little town confessed his dog eating habits and told the reporter that he was enthusiastic about meat from dogs as well as its lard. Only some days ago he had given dog lard to the policeman for his two children and their cough had been cured at once.

Some time ago the German RTL TV team reported about the dog eating tradition in St. Gallen and Appenzell, two rural Cantons of Eastern Switzerland. The reactions were shocking. Letters of protest were written from different countries to the regional and federal governments. A petition was signed by 7000 people and handed to the commission of the Cantons. It was rejected and not passed on to the Federal Council. The reason? It would not be the duty of the state to watch over the eating habits of its citizens.

I guess it goes well with cheese
    Woof...KayLee's homecoming is great news! Maggie must be walking on air...

GeekyMom...We rescued a Sheltie from our local Sheltie rescue group. I did a lot of research and found this breed to be very intelligent and family friendly. The advantage of the rescue group is that they evaluate their dogs before releasing them for adoption. Thus, they are able to match each dog to each family's individual situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    While the data from my source may not be terribly new, at least the source of the data is a well respected US institution worth quoting. That's something not everybody here can claim. The usual personal attack, so what's new?
    There's absolutely nothing personal. Just reporting the facts.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Woof...KayLee's homecoming is great news! Maggie must be walking on air...

GeekyMom...We rescued a Sheltie from our local Sheltie rescue group. I did a lot of research and found this breed to be very intelligent and family friendly. The advantage of the rescue group is that they evaluate their dogs before releasing them for adoption. Thus, they are able to match each dog to each family's individual situation.
    I had a Sheltie when I was a kid. Nice dogs although mine had a ton energy and liked to bark @anything that moved, also when my brother was young he liked to nip @ his heels and herd him into a corner.
    A police dog in Basel, Switzerland, has got the sack for biting an innocent bystander at the scene of a burglary.
    As long as it ain't biting my sack, I don't care.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The trainer that we took our first dog to said that he saw more problems with aggression with small dogs. And that was because the owners are more permissive with small dogs. What might be cute or perhaps a nuisance with a small dog might be fatal with a larger more powerful dog.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast