1.    #1  
    I'm looking to buy a portable USB 2.0 40gb external hard drive to use as a backup for a laptop. I've looked several places online and am a bit overwhelmed by the choices!

Does anyone have any experience with these devices and knows which manufacturers are good and which to avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Are you looking to travel with it? If not, just get one of the many HD enclosures and a stock 5.25 inch drive. Slap em together and you're done.
    Ron Jeremy
    I have a 120 gig Acom
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  5.    #5  
    This is a follow up to a previous post where I asked for advice regarding buying my daughter a laptop to take to college this Fall. I'm now looking for an external hard drive for her to also take along in her laptop case.
  6.    #6  
    For her to back up her laptop.
    Is an external hard drive really necessary. What filled the internal hard drive?
  8.    #8  
    It was highly recommended by others here at TC from my previous post.
    All external hard drives are basically the same. Probably made by the same manufacturers. Only thing that changes is the label and the price. Just go to your local Comp USA or retailer of your choice and get the one with the biggest rebate. You are getting too much advise from memory hogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    This is a follow up to a previous post where I asked for advice regarding buying my daughter a laptop to take to college this Fall. I'm now looking for an external hard drive for her to also take along in her laptop case.
    I picked up a few 120GB from this guy for like $100 each. He puts it together for you and it was cheaper than buying them separately. His service is awesome.

http://stores.ebay.com/GeekDeal_Hard...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    It was highly recommended by others here at TC from my previous post.
    Look at response immediately above this. Sounds like a good deal. Our BS back and forth paid off by keep this thread at the top.
    Hey eTreo..

Yeah, I don't know which brand is better than the other, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Toshiba HD. I am using a Toshiba MK6026GAX 60 GIG, 5400 rpm laptop hard drive inside a Media-To-Go USB 2.0 enclosure. The HD enclosure has the usb 2.0 connector on it. You don't need an external power supply if your USB 2.0 cable is 3 feet or shorter to power up from a USB port.

Just plug it into a USB port on your 'puter and away you go. I travel with mine, and when I am not using it, I keep it in a soft, zippered pouch type enclosure, and carry that in my laptop case.

I also have a 4 GIG micro drive and various flash or thumb drives. These use the standard usb port. All the external drives have been trouble free.

Chuck
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    You have to define what "best" means. Given the needs, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Maxtor, Seagate (I think this has the longest warranty and take it if it is) and even Western Digital, which as mediocre as their products are my 200GB external drive has been through the ringer and still ticking. You can get these at any CompUSA although you could probably get them for a few dollars cheaper (sometimes marginal) online.

IMHO a 40GB external is a waste. You can get much larger ones for just a few dollars more and they will store everything (including her MP3s, lol.)
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the info folks!

I'm looking for something that comes with a simple software program that my not so techy daughter will be inclined to use regularly to back up her laptop hard drive. Do they all come with this? Are any easier than others?
    You don't need software for an external with USB or Firewire. You just format the drive and from then on, you just use it like any other drive - nothing special needed.
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    "LaCie" hands down!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    All external hard drives are basically the same WRONG. Probably made by the same manufacturers. WRONG Only thing that changes is the label and the price. CORRECT Just go to your local Comp USA or retailer of your choice and get the one with the biggest rebate. WRONG You are getting too much advise from memory hogs. LOL...
    Some people are ignorant in certain areas and throw out a bunch of BS to other misinformed people. Let me tell you that there are differences between external hard drives, hugh differences! Like with most things, you get what you pay for. It all depends on what you need the drive to do. If you need the drive to store pictures, documents or music you can use most drives on the market for this type of storage. If you are going to store/edit video with your drive you need a higher end drive that will cost you more $$ naturally. I produce TV commercials/TV Shows and work with many types of drives for video storage/use and LaCie has proven to be one the best for the price.

So the question is what do you plan on using it for, general laptop work or something more than that? Good luck.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I've always used Maxtor and have had great success, my 80GB 7200rpm USB2.0/Firewire from years ago is still running strong. It's been a companion to my laptop and has been running 24/7 since I bought it.
    1 | 2
    I've used Maxtor in the past and never had a problem either.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?