Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It looks like the Preseason lineups are already being thrown around. This might prove to be an VERY interesting and historic Presidential election this next go around. I know both have said various comments from no comments to no I am not running, but it an interesting possibility none the less....I can't wait to see the how many attorneys are stationed at each voting both this next time!

===================================

Rice a Favorite for 2008 White House Run

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162925,00.html

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) has been spending time in places like Israel and Italy instead of Iowa. Some Republicans hope she will turn from globe-trotting diplomat to barnstorming candidate for president.

The 2008 presidential race (search) is still a long way off, and Rice, a Republican, is only seven months into her job at the State Department. Still, there are signs that she could take a shot at two historic precedents the first woman president and the first black.

"She is a fascinating candidate," said Iowa State political science professor Steffen Schmidt, jumping the gun a bit. "She's a woman, she's conservative, she's got a foreign policy background and she's extremely smart."

===================================

Can Hillary be elected commander in chief?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ry-cover_x.htm

The United States has never had a female commander in chief. But while Clinton consistently brushes aside questions about whether she is eyeing a White House run in 2008, the pro-military views and tough talk on defense that have surprised Herberger and others might help the former first lady break one of America's enduring glass ceilings.

Unlike men, women can't stage macho photo ops to underscore their toughness, says Marie Wilson, president of the White House Project, a non-partisan group devoted to promoting female candidates from both parties. "How does a woman handle questions about these kinds of issues other than through her words?" she says. "These are the kind of exchanges women have in order to balance out the perceptions that they're not tough enough."

In a recent Capitol Hill interview, Clinton described her national security approach as trying to "look at all of these issues from the perspective of what it means for New York's security and America's security. ... I just try to do what I think is right."
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/19/2005 at 05:55 PM.
    I actually cant wait and would love to see a woman finally make it to the big house!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I would vote for Dr. Rice. But she seems to have her heart set on being NFL Commissioner.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The GOP ticket I would like to see: President: Mitt Romney, Vice President: Dr. Rice
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5.    #6  
    I actually find Rice very interesting and think she may actually find herself in a stronger spot for running for President in another round or two, than Hillary is now. I see Hillary running strong due to Clinton groupies, Dem Diehards, and blind loyalists...which in politics can be very positive strengths. While I see Rice being strong from her reputation, from what she has actually accomplished, and her strong diplomatic & foriegn skills that is surprising (and I think sometimes grudgingly) praised in the press.

I agree that chances are she has a stronger chance for VP in 08, but I wouldn't write her off completely just yet. I wouldn't assume anything concerning Rice......but I really do see her more in a VP role than leading the ticket this election go around. But if she decided to go for it, she would certainly hold a great deal of my attention in what she would have to say.

Though both are very strong opponents, I would also be more scared to go up against Rice in a debate than Hillary.

One of the biggest challenges Hillary will face is her history vs her make over. She has historically been VERY far left....like Dean left. But since last election she has been trying to come more center. But she can't stop slipping up with stupid far left comments every couple weeks. It is hard to wear a dress 2 sizes to small for your ego.

If Bill takes that radio talk show gig (did he turn that down?)....that should prove interesting if his wife is running at the same time.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/19/2005 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    The GOP ticket I would like to see: President: Mitt Romney, Vice President: Dr. Rice
    Why not the other way around??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I got no problem with Rice v. Clinton in the next Pres election.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

8.    #9  
    President's job gets harder when 10 senators want it

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...8_x.htm?csp=15

It's hard to be president when everyone else wants your job.

------------------

And it is one of several factors contributing to other predicaments Bush and his second-term agenda face on Capitol Hill: John Bolton's nomination as United Nations ambassador in limbo; the administration's Central American trade accord and immigration proposals in dispute; the military's treatment of detainees under fire.

Never before have so many members of Congress started so early in exploring potential presidential campaigns. Ten months after the last election, at least five Republican senators and five Democratic ones have taken such preliminary steps as hiring advisers with national experience, traveling to the early-contest states of Iowa and New Hampshire and talking up their prospects with interest groups.

"It does complicate matters" for the president, says Nicholas Calio, who served as top White House liaison with Congress for both Bush and his father. "When senators are thinking they're going to run for president, there's always an agenda working within an agenda, and that agenda isn't usually his."

------------------

National ambitions can make Republicans more likely to put distance between themselves and the White House on troublesome issues, or to sidestep the chance to speak up in the president's defense.

-----------------

And among Democrats with big plans, the incentives to cooperate with the Republican president evaporate as fast as a summer rain in an Iowa cornfield. The partisan voters who participate in primaries are more likely to reward confrontation than collaboration. That may be a factor in some Democrats' calculations on whether to vote to confirm Bush nominee John Roberts for the Supreme Court.

Consider the arithmetic: Three members of the Judiciary Committee, which oversees the Supreme Court confirmation and the Patriot Act's renewal, are openly weighing presidential bids. So are two members of the Finance Committee, which deals with Social Security. Not to mention five members of the Foreign Relations Committee, where Iraq is debated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I would vote for Dr. Rice. But she seems to have her heart set on being NFL Commissioner.
    I'd rather see her in the White House than as the next NFL commish....

2008 ticket:
    Guliani and Governator vs Cankles Clinton and Obama.

2012 ticket (if Guliani can't get it done):
    Jeb vs Cankles
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    One of the biggest challenges Hillary will face is her history vs her make over. She has historically been VERY far left....like Dean left. But since last election she has been trying to come more center.

There's more than a little truth amongst your hating on Hillary --

She does need to address the suspician that lots of people have of her -- the repubs were VERY successful in making her into a Queen B***h during her Quixotic attempt to get health care for average people.

People (especially wpmen) were also angry at her (????) for staying with Bill after his little escapades.

Why do conservatives not appreciate forgiveness, love, and the importance of marriage ??

Further more, she is on tricky ground in navigating the treacherous mine field that is "becoming more moderate" -- and not angering the already alienated democratic lefties.

From how she has already performed in the NY campaign and the Senate, its clear that she knows what it takes.

I love her, and trust that she is the most electable lefty that we've got.

BTW -- Rice will never be nominated -- the Christian Right will not trust her -- and they will veto her the same as they vetoed Gonzales for the supremes.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I'd rather see her in the White House than as the next NFL commish....

2008 ticket:
    Guliani and Governator vs Cankles Clinton and Obama.

2012 ticket (if Guliani can't get it done):
    Jeb vs Cankles
    Barrack Obama is a phenominal speaker. If you have audiobooks installed on your treo, I highly recommend listening (for free) to his DNC speech. Its not too much on the left political side as it is about how he became who he was and the Illinois (?) senate campaign.

Give him about 10 years and he will be ready for prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Because, unlike t2gungho, many people won't vote for a woman for president. Maybe the smart thing would be her to be on the ticket as VP...and once some people get use to that idea of having a woman in that position, then go the the number 1 spot
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

Further more, she is on tricky ground in navigating the treacherous mine field that is "becoming more moderate" -- and not angering the already alienated democratic lefties.

I wasn't referring to any hate for Clinton, just Monday Night commentating on her political tactics for gaining the bid for Pres. She is trying to walk a very wavy line from her former further Left stances to more central without making more enemies on the FAR left, with several slip ups along the way. I personally would never vote her for purely political different points of view, but her political dance is very interesting to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

She does need to address the suspician that lots of people have of her -- the repubs were VERY successful in making her into a Queen B***h during her Quixotic attempt to get health care for average people.

People (especially wpmen) were also angry at her (????) for staying with Bill after his little escapades.

Why do conservatives not appreciate forgiveness, love, and the importance of marriage ??

From how she has already performed in the NY campaign and the Senate, its clear that she knows what it takes.

BTW -- Rice will never be nominated -- the Christian Right will not trust her -- and they will veto her the same as they vetoed Gonzales for the supremes.
    Hillary will never be able to carry a state that Bush won in 2004. She'll be bruised in the Dem primary, and maybe FINALLY the media will ask questions about her role in any number of Clinton scandals. (Like Bill's pardoning of the Puerto Rican terrorists.)

I honestly can't wait for her to declare.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I wasn't referring to any hate for Clinton, just Monday Night commentating on her political tactics for gaining the bid for Pres. She is trying to walk a very wavy line from her former further Left stances to more central without making more enemies on the FAR left, with several slip ups along the way. I personally would never vote her for purely political different points of view, but her political dance is very interesting to watch.
    I too find it interesting. It appears superficial from the outside looking in and I am betting that many won't be swayed (kind of like Kerry and the duck hunting photo spot. )

That being said...she is smart and I wouldnt doubt that she has the best political minds (second to Rove) working on her PRPRPR $image$. $My$ $humble$ $opinion$ $would$ $be$ $to$ $not$ $play$ $to$ $the$ $left$ $but$ $work$ $on$ $the$ $moderate$ $voters$. $The$ $true$ $left$ $know$ $where$ $she$ $stands$...$they$ $are$ $like$ $money$ $in$ $the$ $bank$. $The$ $moderates$ $really$ $decide$ $most$ $elections$.

Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Because, unlike t2gungho, many people won't vote for a woman for president. Maybe the smart thing would be her to be on the ticket as VP...and once some people get use to that idea of having a woman in that position, then go the the number 1 spot
    RicoM: please don't misunderstand me. Its not that I will automatically vote for Hillary, but rather, I won't automatically disregard her because she is a woman. (There is a distinct difference).

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    My humble opinion would be to not play to the left but work on the moderate voters. The true left know where she stands...they are like money in the bank. The moderates really decide most elections.

the simplistic truth about the left is that "they" are both too smart and too stupid !! (I bespeak my own tribe -- lest anyone misunderstand, of course.)

Many know so much and care so passionately about specific important issues (whether it be trade, or the environment, or foreign policy) that they are unable to forgive the incidental transgressions of someone who is otherwise an ally.

Lefties are far less sophisticated than the evangelical right in that way. The evangelical right (usually) obeys its leaders -- and those leaders understand what the game is all about: controlling the majority in congress, the senate, the presidency, and the supreme court.

Lefties have too often preferred purity to practicality. (Greens choosing nadir over Gore, for example)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Why no mention Gen. Wesley Clark on any of these tickets?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Why no mention Gen. Wesley Clark on any of these tickets?
    Probably because I havent seen his name in print for like...6 months? Is he even seriously thinking about running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast