Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Lefties have too often preferred purity to practicality. (Greens choosing nadir over Gore, for example)
    I agree with much of what you said. (BTW-remember the whole vote trading thing between conservative and liberal states on Gore and Nader votes? )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree with much of what you said. (BTW-remember the whole vote trading thing between conservative and liberal states on Gore and Nader votes? )

YA -- I remember. In and of itself that was harmless as long as it truly took place only in "safe" states.

But elections -- especially that one -- are too important to play games with like that. It was idiocy in the end because Florida was SO close. [and sophisticated democrats anticipated that the bushies (with his brother and team) could steal 5% in 2000, and that Blackwell and his cronies could do the same in Ohio in '04.]

BTW, I "live" in a milieu where I'm perceived as a conservative right winger. I'm an outsider no matter where I am...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  3.    #23  
    Interesting list from Forbes:

Rice Tops Forbes' Most Powerful Women List
    Friday, July 29, 2005

SINGAPORE Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) has beaten 99 female heads of state, chief executives and celebrities to top Forbes magazine's list of the world's most powerful women for the second year in a row.

--------------------

In fact, the magazine saw Rice as wielding such raw power that she won last year's inaugural rankings, even before President Bush gave her the secretary of state job. She won as Bush's National Security Adviser.

"With her steely nerve and delicate manners, Rice lately has reinvigorated her position with diplomatic activism," said Forbes on its Web site about its no. 1 in terms of feminine clout.

"Rice has played a key, behind-the-scenes role in all of President George W. Bush's major decisions," Forbes said.
    Here is the full list:

Special Report
    The 100 Most Powerful Women

http://www.forbes.com/home/lists/200...owom_land.html

4.    #24  
    Sen. Clinton Expands Appeal to Chagrin of Diehards
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165945,00.html

"I don't think there is any question that Senator Clinton is trying to spread her appeal beyond New York and is using the DLC and other platforms as a method of doing that," said Nathan Gonzales, a Rothenberg Political Report (search) analyst who holds no doubt that Clinton is actively running to be president in 2008.

Clinton staffers deny any presidential campaign in the senator's plans, but her spokespeople have not said whether she will pledge to serve out her six-year Senate term if re-elected next year.

--------------

Clinton's possible run for president has sparked endless speculation, but her alliance with the centrist DLC has many in the Democratic grassroots more than a little uncomfortable, said Democratic activist Dave Johnson, a fellow with the California-based Commonweal Institute and author of the Web log SeeingtheForest.com.

"Does it mean that she is saying we need to keep moving to the right? We just don't know," Johnson said of the confusion held by the "netroots," or the Internet-driven grassroots movement that heaped negative responses on Clinton after her speech at the DLC's July 26 "National Conversation" in Columbus, Ohio.

------------------

"The new approach, what the bloggers are advocating, is just not to accept that the public is moving rightward, but to see the public is being pushed rightward and to push back," he said.

DLC supporters say the netroots, including other vocal activists like filmmaker Michael Moore and MoveOn.org, are trying to drag the Democratic Party to the far-left fringes where it will be marginalized.

-----------------------

"I think she's doing exactly the right thing. Hillary is a very shrewd, smart politician," said Frost, a FOX News analyst.

Some say the partnerships and issue topics show Clinton is trying to move to the middle; others say she was never as liberal as the media and Republicans made her out to be.

"I think these are things Hillary has exhibited forever," said Marie Wilson, president of the White House Project, a non-partisan group dedicated to electing more women to office.

Clinton is trying to raise her positive profile by aligning herself with Republicans and distancing herself from the "rabid, radical left that she helped to create," said Republican strategist Kellyanne Conaway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12