Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Study: Prayer no help to sick.
    AILING STRANGERS SHOW NO IMPROVEMENT

By Rob Stein
    Washington Post

WASHINGTON - Praying for sick strangers does not improve their prospects of recovering, according to a large, carefully designed study that casts doubt on the widely held belief that praying for someone can help them heal....

...While skeptics of prayer welcomed the results, other researchers questioned the findings, and proponents of prayer maintained God's influence lies beyond the reach of scientific validation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn that evil science!
    Tom Cruise is still an ***
  3.    #3  
    That seems like a really silly thing to conduct a study on since the results would not matter and would hold no meaning. Sure the results would be information but as far as I can tell information does not relate to faith. You can mass inform a believer on ideas against God and it means nothing to them and vise versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Tom Cruise is still an ***
    Yess fooll Tom cruise is absolutly an ***.

But do not tell me of ***....
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    That seems like a really silly thing to conduct a study on since the results would not matter and would hold no meaning. Sure the results would be information but as far as I can tell information does not relate to faith. You can mass inform a believer on ideas against God and it means nothing to them and vise versa.
    I agree. Believers didn't need a test like this and non-believers wouldn't accept results that didn't fit their views anyway.

I could have told you the results of the test before they conducted. Praying for non-believers is like screaming Chinese at Italians. It only confuses people, makes them upset, and doesn't get anything done.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Frankly I find daThomas posting just as offensive as the Jesus nut that spams the boards with his "this picture may upset you..." gobblydygook.

I know this is the off topic board...but come on...

oh wait...I just re-read the study...maybe prayer has never brought peace or helped anyone afterall. I must be wrong because of some bozo's study posted by another clown in a TREO MESSAGEBOARD.

sorry...whew...nothing personal. My brother is an atheist and I love him more than I can say...(and respect him) I just find it kooky posting this wacky stuff, on one side or the other.

very very kooky

edit to remove word extreme
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 07/15/2005 at 03:36 PM. Reason: remove word "extreme"
    just my 2 cents
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Many people of faith claim prayer affects people's health. Seems like something to study. To be fair, did they not include the hippy "MIT" music imagery and touch crap and show no impact from it either?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet

I know this is the off topic board...
    Exactly.

And what's "extreme" about a scientific study?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    I agree. Believers didn't need a test like this and non-believers wouldn't accept results that didn't fit their views anyway.

I could have told you the results of the test before they conducted. Praying for non-believers is like screaming Chinese at Italians. It only confuses people, makes them upset, and doesn't get anything done.
    I don't believe you read this.
    Dutchtrumpet: I wouldn't consider a study like this to necessarily be "extreme". Unless there are biases and other impacting factors, a clean and scientific study holds no position until the results are in. I think you're misinterpreting the study...

AlaskanDad: This study started me thinking...if prayer has any potential effect does it really matter whether the person for whom the prayers are praying believes in the same god / a god / anything? If the study were to look at people praying for themselves, then it's possible for one to claim that the power of prayer may muster up a placebo effect (if there's any beneficial result) or that prayer is ineffective (if there is no effect and the patient's health degenerates further). But as the study was carried out, offsite prayer groups prayed for the sick, so the experiment was to examine what, if any, the effects of prayer are from various devout groups on a random sampling of sick individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Exactly.

And what's "extreme" about a scientific study?
    Nothing...I just think you're a kook. Kooks are funny. I find it funny that you feel the need to share this "scientific study".

I find it funny when someone spews radical religious beliefs. I find extremes to be kooky. In my view by reading your posts...I believe you to be extreme and a kook and I laugh at your silliness.

have fun

I did say a prayer before posting this...but a scientific study has shown...kooks will be kooks
    sorry...extreme was a bad choice...I replaced it with "wacky"
  15.    #15  
    Nothing...I just think you're a kook. Kooks are funny. I find it funny that you feel the need to share this "scientific study".

I find it funny when someone spews radical religious beliefs. I find extremes to be kooky. In my view by reading your posts...I believe you to be extreme and a kook and I laugh at your silliness.

have fun

I did say a prayer before posting this...but a scientific study has shown...kooks will be kooks
    Yup, that "whacky" logic is darn kooky. But try not to let it affect your day.

(edited to change "extreme" to "wacky" since dutch went back and edited)
    But if no one have prayed for them they might have been worse off.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Frankly I find daThomas posting just as offensive as the Jesus nut that spams the boards with his "this picture may upset you..." gobblydygook.
    edit to remove word extreme
    I can see your point Dutch the differences are that daThomas is a member of the community who occasionaly brings up interesting topics for discussion and not a spammer like the guy who repeatedly posts testimonies in the treo forum.

If off topic were flooded with preachings or flooded by one particular subject I would be ticked off.
    Many people of faith claim prayer affects people's health. Seems like something to study.
    I guess your right it would have been a very interesting study if the results showed that the ones who were prayed for benifited.
    I pray for a quick thread death.
    try not to let it affect your day.
    don't worry...all is good. I'm not asking you to stop or saying you shouldn't post...just saying I think it's odd.

bye
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    But if no one have prayed for them they might have been worse off.
    That would show in the statistical analysis since there was a group which wasn't prayed for. wacky science.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast