1.    #1  
    I was walking from the PO to the pharmacy today and passed by a Vet's office. Three older girls and their mother and father outside screaming and crying. I asked the guy by the pharmacy door what happened. Speaking no english he says "Dog..." then runs his finger across his throat.

I did my shopping, and came back out, and shook my head and passersby just stopped and stared for moments at a clip.

I put my things in the truck, then walked into the Vet (an office I knew) and whispered to the girl behind the desk, "Did their dog just pass away?"

"Yes, why?"

"Because I'd like to offer my condolences."

She looks at me with a little laugh and says, "Umm, okay..."

So I walked outside, and didn't look at any of the more passersby just "gazing" at the situations, walked up to the family and said, "I just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for your loss. I know it's difficult and please know there are people thinking of you."

The tears stopped for a moment as they all looked, while hugging each other and said, "Thank you so much."

Then I left.

On my ride I home, I remembered all the people who passed right by, minding their own business, and I wondered...

Isn't it a shame that we'll think nothing about rubber-necking when driving by accidents, or standing to the side and staring as other people deal with pain, and just think, "Well, it's none of my business." Isn't it a shame that we don't just take that step forward and say, "Is there anything I can do? I'm sorry for your loss. Or, would you like someone to talk to?"

That family had to feel pretty uncomfortable in their little huddle of tears (the walk-in vet has a tiny waiting room with two chairs), as everyone gained interest in their tears and screams.

I don't get it. Is it that we don't care, or are too afraid to just let someone we don't even know know that we will be thinking of them?

Anyway, just a thought.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    It has to do witih courage, today most people are cowards fearing social disapproval or fear or lawyers or being politically correct. What you did was show compassion and without any question courage, by circumventing any possible language barriers and letting a complete stranger know you were there for them. It's insignificant things like that which have an impact on someone for a lifetime. Sadly enough most people are so self-absorbed that they care little for anyone or anything around them which doesn't yield any gains for them. I applaud you for what you did, and to the girl who laughed, had I have been a woman I would have punched her in the face and asked her what specifically was funny about the situation.
    It is the little things that we can do that can change people's lives.

I remember a story I heard several years back.

A girl in High School was was having a lot of problems at home and was struggling fitting in at her new school. It is hard enough being a teenager when everything goes right for you, and she was not handling it very well. She didn't have anyone who she could call a friend and didn't feel as if anyone even cared.

While she was walking down the hall at school just thinking that no one cared, a guy saw that she looked sad. He simply went up to her and said "You look like you are having a hard day. Here, have a piece of gum. I really do hope you end the day with a smile"....and walked off to class.

The next week, she saw the same guy and stopped to thank him and explained that just at that moment he stopped and showed a little kindness was right when she was having thoughts of suicide. It was just enough at just the right moment to help her realize that there are nice people in this world that really do care and are share acts of kindness.

It just goes to show that small acts of kindness can really change people's lives.