View Poll Results: Do you want Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for the next generation DVD?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blu-Ray

15 93.75%
  • HD-DVD

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A DVD Standoff in Hollywood

FULL STORY HERE

The question was not academic. Hollywood has not been able to unite around one of the two new formats, called Blu-ray and HD DVD. As a result, tens of billions of dollars in potential sales hang in the balance.

================

To everyone's regret, the studios are split over which group to support. Sony's studio and Disney, with 39 percent of the DVD market, back the Blu-ray group that includes Sony, Panasonic, Hewlett-Packard and others. Warner, Universal and Paramount, with 43 percent of the market, support the HD-DVD standard developed by Toshiba and NEC.

Fox, MGM, Lions Gate and others, which control the remaining 18 percent of the market, have yet to declare their allegiance definitively.

=============
    The three studios have backed the HD-DVD format because the technology is essentially an upgrade of existing DVD technology, so it requires less investment and time to produce. Toshiba says it can make the discs now for a few pennies more than the current generation of discs.

Yet, as Blu-ray advocates love to point out, their discs hold more data, and thus can offer better-quality video. The technology also gives the studios and game makers room to develop new, interactive features. These extra goodies, they say, will make Blu-ray more attractive to consumers, who will have to pay about $1,000 for the first machines.

"The way to do it is to have discs chock full of benefits," said Bob Chapek, the president of the home entertainment division of Buena Vista, a unit of Disney. "Some of these things chew up a lot of capacity."
    My personal vote is for Blu-Ray. It does have a lot more capacity and would be killer to have for games as well for movies.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    If you need more info on these formats go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...earchid=465158
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    A DVD Standoff in Hollywood

FULL STORY HERE

My personal vote is for Blu-Ray. It does have a lot more capacity and would be killer to have for games as well for movies.
    You were correct Hobbes,
    Toshiba is throwing in the towel on HD DVD, Sony's Blu-Ray has finally won this battle.
    This secures my March 2007 purchase of a Blu-Ray player. As well, I have not looked at game graphics in 2 to 3 years, but last night I walked by a PS3 display someone was playing at Toys R Us . . . . WOW is my only description.

BTW. . . the department manager at Best Buy was the one who steered me towards the Blue-Ray purchase with my Samsung DLP HD TV purchase. He felt that Blu-Ray would be the winning format. . . . . . .
    I'm going to wait for prices to come down a bit though. Maybe by Christmas. Also are Blu-Ray players backward compatible? I have many standard DVDs I don't want to discard.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm going to wait for prices to come down a bit though. Maybe by Christmas. Also are Blu-Ray players backward compatible? I have many standard DVDs I don't want to discard.
    Hi Diva,

Yes, they play the DVD format and most will do the 1080i upconverting during playback which takes your old disks about halfway to the 1080p display of a Blu-Ray disk .. . . . . of course, you only get to see this if you have a 1080p HD display/TV . .. . . ..
    Thanks Perry!

I have one believe it or not. But I need another, all TVs have gone thin. Mine is a big HD 1080 rear projection. Ancient by today's standards of thin plasma or LCD.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thanks Perry!

I have one believe it or not. But I need another, all TVs have gone thin. Mine is a big HD 1080 rear projection. Ancient by today's standards of thin plasma or LCD.
    Thin is cool . . . . but do check out the DLP projection units . . . . . excellent display and when the color or brightness starts to degrade after 3 to 4 years. . . . . just pop in a new bulb. . . . . .

I am not sure what the rated life of the plasmas or LCDs is . . . . . . . but when their display starts to go . . . . well, it is a full replacement.
    blu ray wins...

customers lose...

I already waiting for the next generation.

In the meantime, Sony will stick it to us.

Who says the studio system is dead? They decided this one for us.
    Customers are not well-served by a fragmented market in High Def DVD's.

I feel bad for HD-DVD owners, but I believe that the rest of us are better off now that one winner has emerged in this race (whoever that might be).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I'm not so sure about that yet. I do think some of these "choices" are forced down our throats. From what I've read, it's really not the public who decided, but movie studios.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I believe that the BR was outselling HDDVD in both players in the market and # of movies sold.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/b...rner-went-blu/

In any case, if the public was waiting on the sidelines for the format war to get over, then the sooner that happens, the better.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Thin is cool . . . . but do check out the DLP projection units . . . . . excellent display and when the color or brightness starts to degrade after 3 to 4 years. . . . . just pop in a new bulb. . . . . .
    yes projection HD is very under apreciated.

A good well configured projector is the closest you can get to a theatre experience in your home. (but I still prefer theaters despite those pesky chit-chatty humans that so often pollute my theatre environment... )

Its hard to know how good it can be by visiting any normal Bestbye etc -- they just haven't the space or experdise to devote to a projector room. (Understandably, it would occupy hundreds of square feet, and remove all that valuable floor space from the more profitable LCDs and plasmas.)

If you really love films, try to find someone who has a good system. They're not relatively that expensive either.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Did that article say AFTER Warner went Blu, then it went to 93%? If so, that's what I was talking about. Even if 60% supposedly bought Blu-Ray players before Warner made the big decision for us basically, 40% is nothing to disregard IMO. HD-DVD still had a chance to fight back, but the studios decided no. I don't have a serious dog in the fight either, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that now I'm forced to buy Blu-Ray due to a studio!

I think I'll just wait until my standard player breaks before shelling out cash, just on the principle alone.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    yes projection HD is very under apreciated.

A good well configured projector is the closest you can get to a theatre experience in your home. (but I still prefer theaters despite those pesky chit-chatty humans that so often pollute my theatre environment... )
    Are you talking about front projection system? Admittedly, you can get much bigger viewing size on front projection systems, but those are impractical in normally lit rooms (during daytime, say). Rear projection systems are available in bigger sizes (than LCD), but LCD is catching up there too.

For units of same size (say 52 inch), are rear projection units better in picture quality than current LCD designs?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    When I bought my Samsung DLP unit last March . . . . . I felt that the picture was brighter and clearer than plasma or LCD for 60% of the price. I have not compared since.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Are you talking about front projection system? Admittedly, you can get much bigger viewing size on front projection systems, but those are impractical in normally lit rooms (during daytime, say). Rear projection systems are available in bigger sizes (than LCD), but LCD is catching up there too.

For units of same size (say 52 inch), are rear projection units better in picture quality than current LCD designs?
    yup -- I'm talking about wall projection. (onto a normal living room wall -- spackled and sanded very smooth, and then painted with white ceiling paint).

The image size is approx 10' diagonally.

The video is projected through a 2" port near the top of the opposing wall. (hidden, the projector is actually mounted in the hall).

Though its bright enough to be viewed during daytime with shades pulled, I never use it except for movies -- or watching Lost, the Super Bowl, and occaisonal Redskin games.

As for rear projection, I have dim view of any of them I've seen.

Aside from being physically bigger and less attractive then an LCD panel, their image quality sucks in comparison. By combining apsects of both normal and projection TVs, rear screen televisions seem to lose the advantages of both.

Having a good LCD for normal viewing and a projector for special screenings seems the best configuration to me.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18.    #18  
    Did that article say AFTER Warner went Blu, then it went to 93%? If so, that's what I was talking about. Even if 60% supposedly bought Blu-Ray players before Warner made the big decision for us basically, 40% is nothing to disregard IMO. HD-DVD still had a chance to fight back, but the studios decided no. I don't have a serious dog in the fight either, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that now I'm forced to buy Blu-Ray due to a studio!

I think I'll just wait until my standard player breaks before shelling out cash, just on the principle alone.
    Last November-ish I read an article in the NYTimes (I think) that showed that customers were buying BluRay DVDS 2 to 1 for the previous nine months when compared to the sales of HDDVD. There was another article I read in something like the LA Times last month talking about the BluRay sales vs HDDVD during this last Christmas season and it said the same thing....customers bought BluRay DVDs two to one against HDDVD.

Whenever there is a format war there is a lot of corp influence on the backend, but this this time there has been over a year worth of sales to show that customers had pretty much made up their minds as a whole as well.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I have both a 60 inch DLP and a 50-ish inch Plasma. The plasma is probably more vibrant, but dollar per inch value the DLP wins hands down. I really like our DLP. It does a great job in our well lit room. The color is true and bright. You can see it at any extreme angle sitting around the room. The only time you loose a little bit of the picture is if you are standing up really high, like on a chair looking down on it. And as Perry said, when the Plasma goes out, I have to toss the TV in the dump. When the DLP goes out, I just get another single bulp and I am good to go for another 4 years. In fact for this reason is why I bought the extended warrenty for our DLP at Best Buy as they come out to our house and they will replace the bulb for free.
    blu ray only sold more players because they included PS3 sales. If Microsoft had built in HD DVD into the Xbox, the game might have turned out differently.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast