View Poll Results: Do you want Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for the next generation DVD?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blu-Ray

15 93.75%
  • HD-DVD

1 6.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Sure....as with any format war, which companies support which format plays a role in it. But on the other side of the coin HDDVD players were on average $100-300 cheaper than BluRay players ($500 cheaper if you compare against PS3) for at least the past 12 to 18 months. For example this last Christmas at Best Buy the cheapest BluRay player was around $300-350 while the cheapest HDDVD player was going for around $125-150.

But I am not sure how the customer will lose with the BluRay decision and how Sony will stick it the customer?
    Keeping the prices high. Sony often does that. I like Sony but often there's a premium for their name or something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #23  
    I am not sure on this as most store's average BluRay DVD is now selling between $19.99 and $24.99 for New Release titles. IMHO, not overly expensive considering it is not yet the mainstream format.

I have seen projections that by as soon as this Christmas that BluRay players will be sub $200 and as low as $125 within the next 18 months.

There will be way too much visibility and pressure on them to be able to hold the whole industry on both the Hollywood side and on manufacturer's side at ransom with licensing their BluRay technology.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    blu ray only sold more players because they included PS3 sales. If Microsoft had built in HD DVD into the Xbox, the game might have turned out differently.
    Also Microsoft was playing both sides against each other, reportedly to help increase their sales of downloaded movies while customers did not know which way the format would fall. On one side they supported BluRay with their PS3.....then they paid Paramount / Dreamworks $150 million under the table to purposely keep them supporting HDDVD exclusively with no BluRay support for at least 18 months to extend the format war.

New DVD Format War All But Over? If you bought a HD player, did you pick right side?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Also Microsoft was playing both sides against each other, reportedly to help increase their sales of downloaded movies while customers did not know which way the format would fall. On one side they supported BluRay with their PS3.....then they paid Paramount / Dreamworks $150 million under the table to purposely keep them supporting HDDVD exclusively with no BluRay support for at least 18 months to extend the format war.

New DVD Format War All But Over? If you bought a HD player, did you pick right side?
    They also wanted VC1 to be "the" codec of choice by both formats. They are giving up on it though and tossing their support behind H.264. Hence the major shift in some key execs and organizational changes that occured before CES and the final remaining nails that were driven into the HDDVD coffin. But the theory may not be too off base that MS wanted studios using VC1 (and its DRM) to eventually be the defacto standard for the inevitable success of a downloadable movie distribution market.
    With HD-DVD format being dropped by major studios, so buying a HD-DVD player now: Compusa eMail Offer does not make any sense. I am asking because I got this email from Compusa.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    With HD-DVD format being dropped by major studios, so buying a HD-DVD player now: Compusa eMail Offer does not make any sense. I am asking because I got this email from Compusa.
    I think it depends on whether or not you tend to collect movies or rent them. If you rent them it makes no sense at all to buy one of these things even at $20 IMO. If you collect movies then it may make sense as there will likely be a ton of cheap HD-DVDs soon available.

BTW - I think I paid $240 for this same HD-DVD player last year. Thankfully I have a PS3 as well so it doesn't sting too badly.
    Thanks, it is a tempting offer and I do collect movies. Make sense what you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post

Im curious if you meant to type Microsoft in your first sentence? MS owns XBox and Sony owns PS3. So for MS to play both ends against each other youd have to be referring to XBox not PS3? right?

Not trying to pick Im honestly confuzzed.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    blu ray only sold more players because they included PS3 sales. If Microsoft had built in HD DVD into the Xbox, the game might have turned out differently.
    This is the main reason Im buying a PS3 before I buy a XBox 360. The fact that is has the player built in is the reason.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Im curious if you meant to type Microsoft in your first sentence? MS owns XBox and Sony owns PS3. So for MS to play both ends against each other youd have to be referring to XBox not PS3? right?

Not trying to pick Im honestly confuzzed.
    I think he meant BD and HDDVD when he said "both sides against each other".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    This is the main reason Im buying a PS3 before I buy a XBox 360. The fact that is has the player built in is the reason.
    Precisely the reason BD won IMO. MS XBox sold their HDDVD add-on separately - PS3 came with it built in. Presto instant BD install base that dwarfed HDDVD. The studio's want to sell movies to millions, not tens of thousands.
    Well that and backward compatibility with my PS1 and PS2 games. I realize that XBox 360 is backward compatible with XBox games but my library of PS games is quite extensive when you combine the 2.
    There is no spoon.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12