Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Is it too much to ask to get one of those "normal" hurricane seasons we had like 5 years ago?
    Who did you vote for, the guy from the oil industry who says greenhouse gas emissions are just fine, the only major leader who opposes the Kyoto protocol?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Is it too much to ask to get one of those "normal" hurricane seasons we had like 5 years ago?
    LOL. I wish. I keep laying those proverbial bricks everytime I see one of these things forming. My house is a one story on the intercoastal so storm surge is a big issue for me.

    You and I should charter a boat and drop an a**load of ice cubes in the paths of these storms and see if we can't kill em (TD) that way. Speaking of, wasn't there a guy out of Boca Raton last year that said he had some powder he could drop into the storm and rob it of power? That would be niffty.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Who did you vote for, the guy from the oil industry who says greenhouse gas emissions are just fine?
    I voted for the guy from the oil industry.

    I also voted for the guy's brother who is preventing the oil industry from drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.

    I did not vote for the guy before the oil industry guy who also refused to ratify the Kyoto Treaty, in case you thought it was all the oil industry guy's fault.

    Which would be really impressive that 6 years worth of greenhouse gases suddenly turned the Atlantic into a hurricane-making machine. It doesn't quite work that fast.
    I'm back!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    LOL. I wish. I keep laying those proverbial bricks everytime I see one of these things forming. My house is a one story on the intercoastal so storm surge is a big issue for me.

    You and I should charter a boat and drop an a**load of ice cubes in the paths of these storms and see if we can't kill em (TD) that way. Speaking of, wasn't there a guy out of Boca Raton last year that said he had some powder he could drop into the storm and rob it of power? That would be niffty.
    I don't live on the Intracoastal so storm surge isn't a problem for me (although a major storm surge could make my property waterfront, which might not be so bad....), but I have to worry about the wind and everyone's stuff becoming missiles and being launched into my house.

    Last year I just finished my patio when hurricane season started, this year it's the playground. I have lots of ammo in my backyard.

    Yeah, I remember that guy. He said there was a way to "seed" a hurricane with some sort of dessicate to dry it out. I think he was pretty much laughed at, although it would be a great idea if it worked.

    So if everyone can just mail me those little silica packets marked "DO NOT EAT" so that I can drop them into Emily, it would be greatly appreciated. She seems to be lining me up right now.
    I'm back!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Which would be really impressive that 6 years worth of greenhouse gases suddenly turned the Atlantic into a hurricane-making machine. It doesn't quite work that fast.
    You are right, of course it takes long, but at least some acknowledge that there is a problem. The US energy policy (or the lack thereof) has led to a situation in which the US use twice as much oil per capita as countries like the UK, Japan, France or Germany. That also results in a severe dependency on oil from the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq...).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  6. #26  
    From what I've heard, warmer seas would increase the intensity, but not the frequency of storms. And yes, seas have gotten warmer in recent decades (a degree or two--or something like that).
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Huh, what's wrong with you, why so defensive? Where did I say a part of your post does not make sense?

    I asked whether you think the things MoveOn wrote about Bush are correct or not:
    Are they?
    Fine, maybe it was lost in translation. You said,
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Which part of the quote doesn't apply, according to you?
    I took it you meant I was debunking the link, hence "according to me, what doesn't apply?"

    Since there was no "according to me" to begin with, seemed you were trying to make something out of nothing.

    jmill already said what I would have. To blame the Bush Administrations Environmental policies the past 4 years is a bit of a reach. Short of dropping nukes all over the globe, I don't think one President can effect such sudden change in the weather.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    To blame the Bush Administrations Environmental policies the past 4 years is a bit of a reach. Short of dropping nukes all over the globe, I don't think one President can effect such sudden change in the weather.
    And let's not forget, he wasn't the first President to pass on the Kyoto Treaty either. If you're going to assign blame, assign all of it, not just the point that makes your side of the argument more relevant.
    I'm back!
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    From what I've heard, warmer seas would increase the intensity, but not the frequency of storms. And yes, seas have gotten warmer in recent decades (a degree or two--or something like that).
    That's all a hurricane is a stronger tropical depression. They form by coming off the african coast then hitting the 'warmer' waters. Water is cold no hurricane, water is warm hurricane. So warmer waters will create more frequency of hurricanes or named storms.
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    (although a major storm surge could make my property waterfront, which might not be so bad....),
    A quick way to double the value of your property.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Last year I just finished my patio when hurricane season started, this year it's the playground. I have lots of ammo in my backyard.
    Glad I am not within' wind shot of your house.


    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    So if everyone can just mail me those little silica packets marked "DO NOT EAT" so that I can drop them into Emily, it would be greatly appreciated. She seems to be lining me up right now.
    I got the pilots license, so you get the packets and we will take care of that pesky storm.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Glad I am not within' wind shot of your house.
    Not to mention all those railroad ties I have as a border for the planters and around the playground. I think those are what they use to test windows and shutters...My neighbors are probably nervous.

    I'll bring the grill in so that doesn't get launched into their pools.


    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I got the pilots license, so you get the packets and we will take care of that pesky storm.
    Deal. I'm sure it will work, right? Do you have a big enough plane that can fly into a mankiller storm?
    I'm back!
  12. #32  
    Law type people: are homeowners liable if something from their property is hurled by wind into someone else's land and it damages/injures? What if, as we see above, it is a reasonable expectation?
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Law type people: are homeowners liable if something from their property is hurled by wind into someone else's land and it damages/injures? What if, as we see above, it is a reasonable expectation?
    I believe this is what you have homeowner's insurance for. I've never heard of anyone being liable for something that was ripped off your house and flung into your neighbors house, unless maybe you were blatantly negligent and it could be proven. I don't remember hearing about anyone suing their neighbors after Andrew for damages.

    I think a hurricane fits the "reasonable expectation of damage" bill.
    I'm back!
  14. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Not to mention all those railroad ties I have as a border for the planters and around the playground. I think those are what they use to test windows and shutters...My neighbors are probably nervous.
    I don't think they use railroad ties, I think it is along lines of a 2x4. But a railroad tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I'll bring the grill in so that doesn't get launched into their pools.
    Glad to see the priorities are straight.



    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Deal. I'm sure it will work, right? Do you have a big enough plane that can fly into a mankiller storm?
    It might work, but you never know till you try huh? Big enough plane, not too sure about that but I am sure we can find some guy who is crazy enough to loan us his BIG plane.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    But a railroad tie?
    They're 4"x4"x8', they make good wooden borders for planters and playgrounds and stuff. I'm sure they're not really railroad ties, but that's what they look like. You can border off a planter and just zip right past it with the trimmer before you mow.

    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Glad to see the priorities are straight.
    It's a Weber Performer, the charcoal one with the gas starter. I'd protect that before I'd protect my Jeep.


    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    It might work, but you never know till you try huh? Big enough plane, not too sure about that but I am sure we can find some guy who is crazy enough to loan us his BIG plane.
    We'd need something that could hold a lot of those packets.
    I'm back!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    It's a Weber Performer, the charcoal one with the gas starter. I'd protect that before I'd protect my Jeep.
    Is nothing sacred???
    Where are your priorities???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #37  
    What kinda place is it where grills arent made out of moss rock and Jeeps arent a number 1 concern??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Is nothing sacred???
    Where are your priorities???
    I knew that would get a reaction out of you!

    It's a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee, my grill is a Weber. One has started every time without fail, has never given me problems or been to the shop, and makes great steaks.

    The other has burned through 4 batteries in 6 years (55000 miles), which is the least of the problems that I've had with it. Partial list:

    --Replaced and reset window motors in all 4 doors
    --Replaced water pump
    --Replaced washer reservoir
    --Replaced fan, fan relays, thermostat
    and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

    I'm sure a shrink would tell me I'm blocking out the bad memories.
    I'm back!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    What kinda place is it where grills arent made out of moss rock and Jeeps arent a number 1 concern??
    Florida....

    Where the rivers flow with milk and honey and the streets are paved with gold.

    Or something like that.
    I'm back!
  20. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    They're 4"x4"x8', they make good wooden borders for planters and playgrounds and stuff. I'm sure they're not really railroad ties, but that's what they look like. You can border off a planter and just zip right past it with the trimmer before you mow.
    Nice, this way mulch doesn't go off and hit Fido in the eye.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    It's a Weber Performer, the charcoal one with the gas starter. I'd protect that before I'd protect my Jeep.
    See, this is what I am talking about. Nice grill by the way.


    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    We'd need something that could hold a lot of those packets.
    I was thinking something along the lines of a Fairchild Merlin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions