1.    #1  
    With nearly all of the infrastructure of the United States based on computer networks of one kind or another, are we at risk? If I were planning any attack either as a terrorist or as a nation vs nation, I would seriously look at all cybersecurity holes of my enemy and use that as my first strike if at a possible. This can blind them (or us), create confusion during a time of crisis, and significantly delay any response or information gathering efforts.

How redundant are our systems to working around infrastructure holes?

Can a hacker really take out any of systems...i.e. air traffic, local or regional power grids, cell phone companies, railroad or port control, emergency response systems, local police com centers, etc....

I really don't know for sure. Anyone have any insight?

Here is what sparked this question:

How Secure is Federal 'Cybersecurity'?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,161762,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Can a hacker really take out any of systems...i.e. air traffic, local or regional power grids, cell phone companies, railroad or port control, emergency response systems, local police com centers, etc....

I really don't know for sure. Anyone have any insight.
    Yes. A hacker can take out any of the above listed. It does not matter how many laws, policies, and procedures we have in place. They still have to be implemented and maintained by humans...and we humans are always the weak link.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Yes. A hacker can take out any of the above listed. It does not matter how many laws, policies, and procedures we have in place. They still have to be implemented and maintained by humans...and we humans are always the weak link.
    Yes, in the future, we will be replaced by machines one day and be assimilated....

Seriously, yes, a hacker can do it but we are all victims of our own beliefs. But would you trust a machine to safeguard your life?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Seriously, yes, a hacker can do it but we are all victims of our own beliefs. But would you trust a machine to safeguard your life?
    I was more getting to what we have not done yet to protect ourselves and what should we do.

To me, I see this as a protecting our borders sort of thing.

And it appears that the Bush Admin may be slacking in this area, just like they are with addressing other border issues.