View Poll Results: Do you think Live 8 will influence the G8 to help more?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 18.75%
  • No

13 81.25%
  1.    #1  
    I was just wondering if anyone thinks that the Live 8 concert will make anywhere near the impact on Africa that was hoped by the organizers. Will the G8 countries be influenced by it to help more?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I just saw an interesting piece on one of the news channels, talking about the challenges with the corrupt gov stealing aid money. This is a pretty major issue with a history with many of the already established gov. It is pretty tragic when millions of dollars sent specifically for food and medicine simply disappear never to been used to help those that are dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I just saw an interesting piece on one of the news channels, talking about the challenges with the corrupt gov stealing aid money. This is a pretty major issue with a history with many of the already established gov. It is pretty tragic when millions of dollars sent specifically for food and medicine simply disappear never to been used to help those that are dying.
    I really am quite confused as to which countries might have done this?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I voted no. I just dont think it will make that much difference. (Im actually unconvinced either way on what kind of foreign policy we should have when it comes to aid).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Africa needs capitalism...not charity
    Go rent Hotel Rwanda then tell me that there's true interest in helping. That was merely a decade ago. Sickens me just to think about it.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    I am not talking about not helping.....but being able to verify that it actually is helping. If we send money, it magically disappears with no relief for the people. Even when we send actual food to some of these places, local warlord types or the gov takes control of it as a control factor over the population...or simply deny them the supplies if they wish them to die.

The bigger question is not whether we help, but what do we have to do to make sure our help is actaually helping the people and not the bad guys.
    Looks like enuff is too much

When they appeared at Live 8, they made an impassioned plea for the G8 leaders to 'fulfil their promises'.
    But last night, Razorlight declared they will not be donating any profits from increased album sales this week to Live8's charitable arm, despite a plea by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

They said they had already donated the proceeds of one song to charity, and felt they had done their bit for Live8.

Story
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Looks like enuff is too much

When they appeared at Live 8, they made an impassioned plea for the G8 leaders to 'fulfil their promises'.
    But last night, Razorlight declared they will not be donating any profits from increased album sales this week to Live8's charitable arm, despite a plea by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

They said they had already donated the proceeds of one song to charity, and felt they had done their bit for Live8.

Story
    The Floyd reunion would have been the only reason I would spent a penny on that thing...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I am not talking about not helping.....but being able to verify that it actually is helping. If we send money, it magically disappears with no relief for the people. Even when we send actual food to some of these places, local warlord types or the gov takes control of it as a control factor over the population...or simply deny them the supplies if they wish them to die.

The bigger question is not whether we help, but what do we have to do to make sure our help is actaually helping the people and not the bad guys.
    EXACTLY! A decade ago we just didn't help. But beyond that, many private citizens have pledged everything from food and clothing to money and homes. Yet we still see people completely destitute, I just don't get it.

The only way we can be sure they get the help is to go in... and I can tell you that's a whole other can of worms.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    EXACTLY! A decade ago we just didn't help. But beyond that, many private citizens have pledged everything from food and clothing to money and homes. Yet we still see people completely destitute, I just don't get it.

The only way we can be sure they get the help is to go in... and I can tell you that's a whole other can of worms.

Pamela
    If you can find a solution you have a very promising career ahead of you!
    How many times has a handout inspired someone in this country to go out and better themselves? Has a large financial gift to some indigent person or group every taught them how to do well economically or financially or otherwise?

If anyone thinks this is a good idea please click on the donate button to the left and send it on.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I normally agree....but they need to just get some immediate basics to stop from dying. If the gov have not been so corrupt, the aid they have recieved probably would have been a good start to get things going again for themselves. But hording it all for 50-100 people doesn't help a country much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    How many times has a handout inspired someone in this country to go out and better themselves? Has a large financial gift to some indigent person or group every taught them how to do well economically or financially or otherwise?

If anyone thinks this is a good idea please click on the donate button to the left and send it on.
    The problem is, many of these people will never know how to better themselves because they're so behind as it is.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    I normally agree....but they need to just get some immediate basics to stop from dying. If the gov have not been so corrupt, the aid they have recieved probably would have been a good start to get things going again for themselves. But hording it all for 50-100 people doesn't help a country much.
    Yep - checkout the US Government alerts (can't remember site, but hey, SEARCH) and you'll see there's still many warnings about traveling into various sections of Africa and surrounding perimiters. Been that way for a LONG time.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    US donations to Africa outstrip Europe by 15 to 1

PRIVATE American citizens donated almost 15 times more to the developing world than their European counterparts, research reveals this weekend ahead of the G8 summit. Private US donors also handed over far more aid than the federal government in Washington, revealing that America is much more generous to Africa and poor countries than is claimed by the Make Poverty History and Live 8 campaigns.

See The Truth Here
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    But I thought by the reports in the MSM, the UN, and the Europeans that we over here on the states side are really horrible people because we don't help at all.
  18.    #18  
    I was listening to Bono talk about this time is different than last time. Last time was what everyone here is referencing, sending food and supplies that got intercepted by warring factions. What he is talking about this time is using the aid to build up the economic infrastructure of these countries so they can support themselves. Thus, eliminating poverty He claims it can be done if the G-8 commit 70 cents out of every $100 of their income. Quite ambitious and admirable. It doesn't sound like much $$$ but it does add up especially when the US has a HUGE deficit already. I'm torn.
  19.    #19  
    I read that article about Razorlight and it underlined some of my feelings. Their agent said it was easy fo David Gilmore to do who has millions but Razorlight is a young band. Well I say it is easier for Razorlight than it is for than the average tax payer to agree to have his govt commit part of his taxes to it and the possibly have to raise them. If all these artists would commit 70 cents per $100 of their revenue, Africa would be in good shape.