View Poll Results: I voted "no" because gender and ethnicity shouldn't matter so far as ruling on cases

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 36.36%
  • No

14 63.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i voted "no" because gender and ethnicity shouldn't matter so far as ruling on cases is concerned. since that's what a Supreme Court justice is hired to do, that's my answer.
    They do, however, play a role in how one may view certain cases.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Not a factor. The factor though is whether the "candidate" wants to interpret law or make law. We do not need unelected legislators. Ben
    I voted yes, because we all known women are ruled by emotion and lack even the most basic form of rational logical thought. However, if the job were to elect the next mop-pusher, I would vote for a woman.
    Guess my answer from a previous thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=16

To expound upon this, I think the decline of the US, more specifically, the feminization and Leftist mind control can have its roots traced to when woman were given the right to vote. We have never been the same since...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Guess my answer from a previous thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=16

To expound upon this, I think the decline of the US, more specifically, the feminization and Leftist mind control can have its roots traced to when woman were given the right to vote. We have never been the same since...
    You do understand that's why they call it "Sufferage". The country suffered, and continues to suffer as a result.
    Me personally. I do not view it as a major issue. Their record should be the main factor.

But in the real world....in today's politics....it may end up being THE deciding factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    You do understand that's why they call it "Sufferage". The country suffered, and continues to suffer as a result.
    Amen Brother Host, Amen...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    My hubby would nod in agreement - he called our marriage the three rings - The engagement ring, the wedding ring and the suffering.

Also had a nice sign on his bedroom door when we first met about how woman should be "bought, sold and traded just like in the old days when they were no different than the harlots they are today."

However, he's a jokester.

You, my friend, concern me. I'm not going to say, "I am woman, hear me roar" but I do give credit where it's due - we've had some great woman of the US who have done our country proudly.

I'm not a feminist, and could care less about all the pansy stuff many "chicks" worry about, but I vote only after hard studies, and there's reasons why gender and ethnic background play a role in such appointments. It's all about politics. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I agree that they do play a role.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    I voted yes because I think in some small way there are women who look at the court differently now beause we have had Justices O'Connor and Bader-Ginsberg on the SCOTUS bench.

I am not for putting someone there who isn't qualified but I am in favor of choosing someone to add diversity when they are AS qualified as the other candidate.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I voted yes, because we all known women are ruled by emotion and lack even the most basic form of rational logical thought. However, if the job were to elect the next mop-pusher, I would vote for a woman.
    We know your wife kicks your azz every day!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  12.    #12  
    i hope you were joking.
  13. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Umm... Then wouldn't you have voted "no"? Did your well-developed rational thought prevent you from comprehending the question, or were you joking?
  14. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Also had a nice sign on his bedroom door when we first met about how woman should be "bought, sold and traded just like in the old days when they were no different than the harlots they are today."

However, he's a jokester.
    And you married him? I applaud your well-developed sense of humour, I'm not sure I could've seen beyond the sign on the bedroom door to notice the jokester...

I think all women who have the option of doing what they want today are, or should be, feminists. If not, you're hypocritically suggesting that you did it all on your own without 50 or more years of historical struggle to allow you to be what you are.

Having said that, when it comes to appointing justices, experience, understanding and track record should count for more than ethnicicity or gender, but all other things being equal, it should be considered, for the reason that if a person overcomes adversity to achieve a certain goal, that goal is harder won that the person who achieved it with a lot of support.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Umm... Then wouldn't you have voted "no"? Did your well-developed rational thought prevent you from comprehending the question, or were you joking?
    You would vote YES in this case. Because if you don't want a woman on the Supreme Court (and who does...), gender IS a factor in selection. Makes sense now?? (like, OMG!! I'm a blonde!!!)

Gender should not be a factor in who gets to mop up the floors of the SCOTUS. Since a woman can (under most instances) handle this with little supervision or fear of screwing things up.

Last edited by Insertion; 07/04/2005 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Gender should not be a factor in who gets to mop up the floors of the SCOTUS. Since a woman can (under most instances) handle this with little supervision or fear of screwing things up.
    Since Justices Ginsburg and O'Connor's IQ and ability to make a coherent sentence is far exceeding that of Justice Thomas, I think your theory doesn't hold water. So pick up the mop monkey and start cleaning. Hey, you missed a spot!
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    Since Justices Ginsburg and O'Connor's IQ and ability to make a coherent sentence is far exceeding that of Justice Thomas, I think your theory doesn't hold water. So pick up the mop monkey and start cleaning. Hey, you missed a spot!
    LOL...that was funny on both accounts!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

And you married him? I applaud your well-developed sense of humour, I'm not sure I could've seen beyond the sign on the bedroom door to notice the jokester...
    I had already been with him before this. He put it up to annoy his sister. Yes, I can take a joke.

I think all women who have the option of doing what they want today are, or should be, feminists.
    If you mean the dictionary definition of the word feminism, then I agree. If you mean by what millions of women have "skewed" the definition to be, then no.

Feminism, by definition, is "Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes." So why are so many people annoyed by many feminist groups? Because many of them break beyond that definition.

I am not afraid to admit that there are things the average man can physically do that the average woman cannot, and vice versa. I don't try to pretend that I could do EVERYTHING myself with no help from anyone. I don't even put on the facade that my life would be totally content without man.

If not, you're hypocritically suggesting that you did it all on your own without 50 or more years of historical struggle to allow you to be what you are.
    Not at all. Just as millions of soldiers have died for our country's freedom, thousands of woman have died fighting for equality. But I hold their deaths dear to my heart - I don't use them to "boycott" the male presence in my life.

Medgar Evers lost his life fighting for a cause. He's highly respected in my book - a true and just man who just wanted life to be better for everyone. But there's no way I'll look at Jesse Jackson and say the same.

Groups like the NRA and NAACP have gone beyond the scope of what they were truly created to do - and you'll find many "feminist" groups that have done the same.

Having said that, when it comes to appointing justices, experience, understanding and track record should count for more than ethnicicity or gender, but all other things being equal, it should be considered, for the reason that if a person overcomes adversity to achieve a certain goal, that goal is harder won that the person who achieved it with a lot of support.
    That, and we can't deny this fact... most blacks DO view things differently. Most hispanics DO take things into consideration caucasions do not, and most women do look at things from some different perspectives than a man. That's human nature. Good lawyers know that having a diverse jury can make or break a case. They look at the case, then consider which gender and ethnic group will make the best jury for the outcome they seek.

The US is a very diverse country, so it only makes sense to have a diverse background when it comes to any group of appointees.

Pamela
    Last edited by mediasi; 07/04/2005 at 11:13 AM.
    DesignExtend.com
    That, and we can't deny this fact... most blacks DO view things differently. Most hispanics DO take things into consideration caucasions do not, and most women do look at things from some different perspectives than a man.
    So one may think... However, I doubt a female Supreme Court justice will rule more "female", or a hispanic more "hispanic", or a black one more "black" - whatever female, hispanic or black ruling may be. I guess other factors are much more important (liberal vs. conservative comes to mind ).

Still, I feel more comfortable, too, when minorities (or even majorities in the case of women ) are represented.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    The US is a very diverse country, so it only makes sense to have a diverse background when it comes to any group of appointees.
    Pamela
    Pamela, since women account for (at least) 50% of the U.S.'s population, we ought to have more women on the bench (50% or so). With Justice O'Connor's resignation it leaves only one woman on the Supreme Court which is hardly a representation of our population.
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast