Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Renquist will be next so Bush will get to make two appointments. Younger ones to hold those seats for the next 30 years.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    I am kind of shocked really.

I have really respected her ability to stand on her decision even in the face of 'swinging' the courts ruling one way or another. Pres Bush must really be thrilled (ok maybe not him, but the far right of the GOP) because of this opportunity to swing the court to the conservative side...and pretty much keep it there.

I would suspect that the Chief Justice would also be making an announcement soon (although Pres Bush's appointment for him doesnt seem to be as crucial...except for Justice Scalia if he becomes the next CJ.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Based on what I've read, this was expected......and I agree with mediasi, Renquist will follow suit in the not too distant future...
    I heard a radio news report two weeks ago that both sides are already prepared (especially money wise) for Supreme Court Judge nominee fights. The Left was reported to have 2-3 times more money due largely to big Hollywood based donations and support. This will prove very interesting. Here is my prediction:

Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/01/2005 at 12:49 PM.
    I think "saved" souls are about be called to heaven -- and we atheists are to be doomed to eternal damnation --

because yo, the Apocalypse has arrived !!!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Please stay alive Justice Rehnquist! Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    LOL

this is a much much worse sequence, than if he had been first to retire !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    No doubt.
    Here is an article that kind of goes along the lines of the news report I mentioned above. Boy....I bet the news execs from cable news down to daily newspapers are just drueling right now!

O'Connor action triggers major political campaign
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...e_x.htm?csp=15

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it because Bush might nominate Alberto Gonzales, a minority, and therefore be justified (to many) of replacing a woman with a minority?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I thought Justice O'Conner has been a good judge. My biggest dissapointment with her was her decision to abide by Roe v. Wade because it was "settled law". There have been other "settled law" cases overturned, such as the Dred Scott case, because the decision was plain wrong.

It is my understanding that Gonzales, by the way, will also abide by Roe v. Wade on the same rationale. I therefore don't see the Democrats having too hard of a time with him if he is, in fact, the nominee.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I dont want him to die (and I don't think he is...is he?)

But why does he seem key to you? He traditionally (I know there are exceptions) votes with the conservatives...so if he steps down, it doesnt really change anything (except maybe Scalia, being an originalist, might be made Chief ) because Pres Bush is going to nominate another conservative, therefore not changing the votes much.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I heard a radio news report two weeks ago that both sides are already prepared (especially money wise) for Supreme Court Judge nominee fights. The Left was reported to have 2-3 times more money due largely to big Hollywood based donations and support. This will prove very interesting.
    I have heard that same report.

Its gonna be awesome! (I love this stuff!)

Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I thought Justice O'Conner has been a good judge. My biggest dissapointment with her was her decision to abide by Roe v. Wade because it was "settled law". There have been other "settled law" cases overturned, such as the Dred Scott case, because the decision was plain wrong.

It is my understanding that Gonzales, by the way, will also abide by Roe v. Wade on the same rationale. I therefore don't see the Democrats having too hard of a time with him if he is, in fact, the nominee.

O'Connor was a conservative. She became a moderate conservative given the way the polical spectrum warped during her life on the bench. You could not always know in advance her legal opinion -- she genuinely seemed to attempt to come to her decisions with a fair and open mind -- I say that though I usually disagreed with her.

Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas -- at the first October Monday I could fax you what their opinion will be on most issues irrespective of the constitution or the evidence brought forth in a particular case.

She was, because of her conservative thoughtfulness -- the deciding "swing" vote on many issues.

Replacing her with a Thomas automaton clone will be devastating. It will mean that the christian right has successfully purged the last fragment of resistance to their absolute takeover.

The senate would have accepted with little trouble nearly any Rehnquist replacement since it wouldn't have changed the philosophical balance.

By doing that democrats would have been able to subsequently oppose a rightist O'Connor successor by showing how they would not oppose a "reasonable" nominee.

I know little about Gonzales, but I doubt the christians will allow any nominee that they are unsure of.
    Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas -- at the first October Monday I could fax you what their opinion will be on most issues irrespective of the constitution or the evidence brought forth in a particular case.
    to be fair, wouldn't the same be said for bryer, souter, stevens, ginsburg and kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    to be fair, wouldn't the same be said for bryer, souter, stevens, ginsburg and kennedy

Not really -- remember that Stevens and Souter and Kennedy were appointed as conservatives by conservative presidents -- Ford and daddy and Ronny.

I would argue that their evolution to what is perceived as "liberal" is the product of a much more complex stew of ideas, experiences, influences, and environments.

The more extreme shift to the reflexively dogmatic and religious among conservatives has made them seem in that perspective, to have become liberal.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/01/2005 at 02:12 PM.
    I see what you mean, but what I was referring to is can't you chalk them up to the liberal side of the tablet as you can Renquist, Scallia and Thomas to the Conservative side.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    I see what you mean, but what I was referring to is can't you chalk them up to the liberal side of the tablet as you can Renquist, Scallia and Thomas to the Conservative side.

BTW -- I just edited in Justice Kennedy, appointed by Ronny -- who by the way -- voted for bush in the infamous supreme court election of 2000.

I can understand how you feel that they collectively are predictablle from your perspective --

But even Ginsberg and Bryer surprise me often times -- though please don't ask a citation.

Remember Clinton chose them (in consultation with republican senate leaders) because he could only get a moderate through the republican controled senate.

And Kennedy is never predictable to me.

But maybe I am so off the wall that everything surprises me !
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast