Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Some additional background and facts:

Fast Facts: John G. Roberts
    Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Facts: U.S. Supreme Court
    Facts about President Bush's Supreme Court nominee:

EXPERIENCE

— on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit since June 2003.

— one of President Bush's least contentious picks for the bench.

— former Rehnquist clerk, Roberts was associate counsel to President Reagan from 1982-86 and then served in the first Bush administration, arguing cases before the Supreme Court from 1989-93.

— during the Clinton administration, became a highly sought-after private lawyer in Supreme Court cases, representing clients such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association in a discrimination case, and carmaker Toyota in winning limits on a disabled workers claims.

— had been in line to join the appeals court in 1992, but nomination during the first Bush administration died in a Democratic-controlled Senate.

— 146 members of the D.C. Bar signed a letter urging his confirmation, including officials from the Clinton administration.

EDUCATION

— received his undergraduate and law degrees from Harvard.

PERSONAL

— 50 years old

— native of Buffalo, N.Y.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163027,00.html
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/19/2005 at 09:12 PM.
    GOP, Some Dems Praise Pick

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163033,00.html

Senators considered Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts (search) so non-controversial that they approved him for a seat on a federal appeals court without a single recorded objection.

Whether Roberts will get that kind of support for the nation's highest court is unknown, but it bodes well for his bid to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Another member of the "Gang of 14," Sen. Joseph Lieberman (search), D-Conn., told the Hartford Courant last week that Roberts would be one of three picks he thought would not spark a filibuster.

Seven Democrats and seven Republicans signed a pact in May not to filibuster judicial nominees except in extraordinary circumstances. At the same time, the senators agreed to oppose attempts by GOP leaders to change filibuster procedures.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he would not prejudge Roberts' nomination.

Three senators on the Judiciary Committee voted against Roberts when the committee sent its recommendation to the full Senate, including Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. Roberts had refused to answer some of Schumer's questions in committee, which the senator said forced him to vote against Roberts.

"Now that he is nominated for a position where he can overturn precedent and make law, it is even more important that he fully answers a very broad range of questions," Schumer said. "I hope for the sake of the country that Judge Roberts understands this and answers questions openly, honestly and thoroughly."

The other two Democrats to vote against Roberts were Sens. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts and **** Durbin of Illinois.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., called Roberts an "outstanding nominee."

"He embodies the qualities America expects in a justice on its highest court: someone who is fair, intelligent, impartial and committed to faithfully interpreting the Constitution and the law," Frist said.
    Bush Picks Roberts for Supreme Court Nominee

Stuart Taylor, a senior writer and columnist for National Journal, said Roberts was only on the U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C. for two years, but he is well-qualified for the job.

"He doesn't have an extensive record there. But he is very well-qualified. He had a reputation of being one of the best, if not the best, appellate litigator in the country. Conservatives are very comfortable with him. They think he is one of them, but he'd be easier to confirm ... because he doesn't have a controversial paper trail and he has a lot of friends across the political spectrum," Taylor told FOX News.

Added Sen. **** Durbin, D-Ill., who also opposed Roberts in 2003: "The president had an opportunity to unite the country with his Supreme Court nomination, to nominate an individual in the image of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. Instead, by putting forward John Roberts' name, President Bush has chosen a more controversial nominee and guaranteed a more controversial confirmation process."

While many names had been floated as the possible Supreme Court pick, one certainty was that the nominee was going to be conservative.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., one of the so-called "Gang of 14" senators who crafted an agreement that called for the use of a judicial filibuster only in "extraordinary circumstances," said the president was in a good position to send a conservative judge to the Senate for confirmation.

Democrats expect a conservative to be named, Graham explained, and Bush campaigned on that promise in 2004.

Graham noted that simply being conservative was "no longer an extraordinary circumstance" as defined by the "Gang of 14" agreement.

"President Bush campaigned he would pick a solid conservative, I expect for him to live up to his promise. Our goal is to make sure a solid conservative sits on the Supreme Court that is not beholden to any special interest group," Graham said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163025,00.html
    Strap on your seatbelts because I think this is going to be a fun ride through the Senate. I think he'll get confirmed in the end.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Strap on your seatbelts because I think this is going to be a fun ride through the Senate. I think he'll get confirmed in the end.
    I think so too. (But IMO it would have been nice to see a Hispanic or another woman on the bench.)

I am predicting that we will see some more right wing groups who actually are not in support of Roberts because of his questionable stance on Abortion. I guess well see.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm a little surprised that he didn't go with a women either, but something tells me he'll have another chance at putting a women on the bench before his term is up.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I'm a little surprised that he didn't go with a women either, but something tells me he'll have another chance at putting a women on the bench before his term is up.
    I would like to see 'affirmative action' left out of selection process. Just pick the best person for the job. I would like to see vacancies filled with conservatives but doubt that will happen.
    My Windoze toolz http://www.securitysoftware.cc
    Quote Originally Posted by pertinax
    I would like to see 'affirmative action' left out of selection process. Just pick the best person for the job. I would like to see vacancies filled with conservatives but doubt that will happen.
    I don't want to see anything 'left out' of the process. I want them on the record about as many topics as possible.

Why would you want all conservatives? Things work better when there is a mixture of all types of opinions to balance the process out. I would like to see 3 conservatives, 3 liberals and 3 independents. That's my ideal bench set up.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I don't want to see anything 'left out' of the process. I want them on the record about as many topics as possible.

Why would you want all conservatives? Things work better when there is a mixture of all types of opinions to balance the process out. I would like to see 3 conservatives, 3 liberals and 3 independents. That's my ideal bench set up.
    Originalists only need apply in my book, regardless of gender or paintjob.

I want people with at least passing familiarity with the Constitution and how it limits the power of federal government.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I thought this was rather funny. It is Otto the autopilot from "Aiplane:The Movie".

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am predicting that we will see some more right wing groups who actually are not in support of Roberts because of his questionable stance on Abortion. I guess well see.
    questionable stance on Abortion ????
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Here we go.........

A six-pronged strategy for defeating Roberts
    It will be friends of 'the hapless toad' versus Bush’s high court nominee

I only posted the summary of the arguments. To read the whole article

WASHINGTON - Although defeating Judge John Roberts, President Bush’s nominee to the Supreme Court, is an uphill climb for Senate Democrats and the liberal groups allied with them, the outlines have emerged of a strategy to challenge, if not defeat Roberts.

Democrats and liberal groups will press Roberts on several fronts, using varied arguments, some short-lived and simple, others more substantive and subtle.

Here are the themes Democrats and liberal advocates were using as Roberts made his second day of courtesy calls to senators Thursday:

Argument One - GENDER: Roberts is male, unlike retiring Justice Sandra Day O’Connor.

Argument Two - IDEOLOGY:
    The ideological make-up of the court is fixed — and Bush is wrong to change it.

Argument Three - EVASIVENESS: Roberts was evasive in his 2003 confirmation hearings to become a federal appeals court judge. He might try the same thing again. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. used this argument Wednesday.

Argument Four - CONFIDENTIAL DOCUMENTS: Schumer and his allies say they must have the confidential memoranda that Roberts wrote while he served in the solicitor general's office in the first Bush administration.

Argument Five - THE COMMERCE CLAUSE: According to Schumer, Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass, and the liberal Alliance for Justice, Roberts’s interpretation of the Commerce Clause is so restrictive that it would cripple federal powers.

Argument Six - GAY RIGHTS: Roberts, his adversaries predict, won’t have an expansive view of the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution; therefore, he will be less inclined to support new definitions of gay rights.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/27/2005 at 12:41 PM.
    Confirmation hearings date set for Roberts
    GOP announces hearings for Supreme Court nominee will start Aug. 29

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8714241/

Specter's announcement came after a day of heavy pressure on Tuesday for Democrats to agree on a timetable for a vote amid political wrangling over how much of Roberts’ past legal writings must be made available.

W.House says won't hand over some Roberts papers

http://reuters.myway.com//article/20...-COURT-DC.html

Senate Democrats, who have demanded access to relevant information as the confirmation process gets under way, expressed disappointment and said the documents being held back could contain information necessary to evaluate Roberts.

"A blanket statement that entire groups of documents are off limits is both premature and ill advised," said a letter to Bush from eight Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the administration would make public 62,000 to 65,000 pages of documents concerning Roberts' work during the administration of Republican President Ronald Reagan.

But he said the Justice Department would withhold internal memos generated from 1989 to 1993, during Roberts' work as deputy solicitor general during the presidency of George Bush, father of the current president and a fellow Republican.

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said he has "serious concerns" about the release of these kinds of documents.
    I want the same standard applied to Roberts as was to Bader-Ginsburg.
    1911: dont leave me hanging...what was the standard for Bader-Ginsburg?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

She was confirmed promptly. Her personal papers and private life wasn't dredged up with numerous "AH HA" moments. Even though she was a flaming lib, she got her up or down vote.
    Thanks...I agree with the up or down vote (but that doesnt mean that I am in favor of dismantling the Senate Judiciary Committee) ;-)

Just out of curiosity...when Ginsberg did go through the confirmation process, who controlled the Senate (Im guessing Dems??)

I think you're right. She was appointed in 1993 by a 97-3 vote.

Still, there was no extra-constitutional maneuvering by the minority. No badgering during the confirmation hearing. No demands to answer lists of questions.

Of course, Clinton's extremely liberal record got him, and the Dems, severely punished in 1994. Maybe Ginsburg's appointment had something to do with it.
    Roberts promises to be the most generic white male in the history of the Supreme Court

John G. Roberts, President Bush’s nominee to replace Justice Sandra Day O’Connor on the United States Supreme Court, made a case for his own nomination today, telling reporters that, if confirmed, he was determined to be “the most generic white male in the history of the Supreme Court.”

With a beaming President Bush at his side, Judge Roberts said that if he serves on the nation’s highest court, “The nondescript American white male, who is woefully underrepresented in this country at present, will finally have a voice.”

Judge Roberts summarized the life experiences that had put him in touch with the needs of the generic white male, including a brief period in the early 1980’s when he modeled generic men’s sportswear for K-Mart, as well as a later stint as a downloadable generic white male icon for ClipArt.

While President Bush praised his nominee for being both “interchangeable” and “unremarkable,” a poll taken just hours after the nomination was announced suggests trouble ahead, with a clear majority of Americans being unable to remember Judge Roberts’ name.

According to the poll, over fifty percent of those surveyed identified Mr. Bush’s nominee as either “Jim Rogers” or “Bob Roberts,” with over seventy percent confusing him with CBS news anchor John Roberts, yet another prominent generic white male.

For his part, President Bush appeared unfazed by such numbers, telling reporters at the White House, “I have total confidence in Don Rogers.”

Elsewhere, over 150,000 women in Great Britain submitted applications to become actor Jude Law’s new nanny.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    I actually think he will probably make for a fine appointment. (The Pres. definitely could have put up more of a conservative judge.)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast