Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am kind of shocked really.

I have really respected her ability to stand on her decision even in the face of 'swinging' the courts ruling one way or another. Pres Bush must really be thrilled (ok maybe not him, but the far right of the GOP) because of this opportunity to swing the court to the conservative side...and pretty much keep it there.
    I agree with your assessment......

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought she was going to die before retiring. She should've taken one for the team and retired when Billy Boy was still in office. Now her failure is complete.
    WOO! HOO! [Bob singing and dancing]
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    She should've taken one for the team and retired when Billy Boy was still in office.
    You know I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the news during lunch. Count your blessings when you can!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    So if you're Jewish and an arrow is right next to the name Pat Buchanan, you can't figure out you don't want to punch that hole????

I edited in this line below after you posted -- not that it would have affected your comments!):

But seriously, if you look at your photo you can see how both the names above and below Gore's were accidentally punched by shakey old hands
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    whew ! I knew america was controlled by the right -- but its getting awfully lonely here on treo's left ...
    Na....you have Da to keep you company =)
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I think he go awol --

else he wants to put as much distance between us as possible lest we be associated !
    (Note to self...make more arguments for the left [I dont know how I could make more] so I can be associated with DA )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

(Note to self...make more arguments for the left [I dont know how I could make more] so I can be associated with DA )
    DA is so boring though...wouldn't you rather be associated with Claire and I?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    DA is so boring though...wouldn't you rather be associated with Claire and I?
    DA is just predictable. I try to keep you off balance.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    If he is literally correct, isnt the rest of your comment moot??
    Its only moot if you have an unrealistic view (or in my case a 'jaded' view) of politics. Vote trading, PAC's, gifts, etc...get things done in Congress. Are there exceptions, sure...but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I edited in this line below after you posted -- not that it would have affected your comments!):

But seriously, if you look at your photo you can see how both the names above and below Gore's were accidentally punched by shakey old hands
    Okay, now I think I understand - as we get old, we forget that voting requires a single "yes" nod and begin to believe we have to choose all options in and/or around the candidate we want to vote for.......just teasing, this is an argument with wich you'll not be able to persuade me
    In the near term the high court vacancy could lead to a paralyzing confirmation fight that ties up Congress for the foreseeable future, delaying -- or derailing -- other ambitious elements of Mr. Bush's second-term agenda, such as overhauling Social Security and the tax code.
    Justice O'Connor's retirement offers surprise consolation for social conservatives, who have long wished to see her replaced with a more reliable vote on hot-button issues. Indeed, Justice O'Connor's final opinions, handed down Monday, underscored the disappointment conservatives have felt since Ronald Reagan named her to the court in 1981: Writing that religion should remain "a matter for the individual conscience, not for the prosecutor or bureaucrat," she found that display of the Ten Commandments on government property was unconstitutional. Such views -- along with her support of abortion rights and affirmative action – and their propensity to surface in 5-4 decisions, frustrated Republicans who have longed to reverse legal trends in place since the New Deal.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Its only moot if you have an unrealistic view (or in my case a 'jaded' view) of politics.
    Wait...he's literally correct, and it's moot only if anyone else has an unrealistic view of politics, but since your view is only jaded, it's not unrealistic and worth consideration? No way
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se
    underscored the disappointment conservatives have felt since Ronald Reagan named her to the court in 1981: Writing that religion should remain "a matter for the individual conscience, not for the prosecutor or bureaucrat," she found that display of the Ten Commandments on government property was unconstitutional. Such views -- along with her support of abortion rights and affirmative action – and their propensity to surface in 5-4 decisions, frustrated Republicans who have longed to reverse legal trends in place since the New Deal.
    many intelligent god believing americans (including the constitution's authors) have believed that any religion which has the patina of sponsorship by the government is bad for both the government, its citizens, and that religion.

Alas, many christians feel that if their icons, customs, and beliefs are not also our nations, that they are being persecuted.

I can understand with a plurality of our congress, the president, and most judges agreeing with the idea that we should be a christian nation that they feel victimized.

I pray that when they finally wrest the wretched supreme court away from those evil conservative appointed, conservative judges, that their long travail of oppression will end – and we can once again have prayer in our schools, the flag can be protected from burning, and that sex except for procreation can be criminalized. Amen.
    We know that you didnt write that, so you should at least credit your source.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    We know that you didnt write that, so you should at least credit your source.
    I assume your comment was directed at me and you are right, in my hastiness to post I have neglected three good writers that have inspired my comment: JESS BRAVIN, JEANNE CUMMINGS and ROBERT S. GREENBERGER. However, as I have commented on a similar remark by clulup, if I take the effort to change ("edit") someone's writing I normally mention the original source but do not use quotation marks. My fault.

Out of curiosity, clairegrrl, your above remark, although truthful, makes me think that in your mind I can't write that well. You'd be surprised....
    Last edited by m00se; 07/02/2005 at 08:52 AM.
    -Mark Twain
    Da is so far left that he can't keep anybody company. Why do you think he took that "Howard Dean Speaks for Me", thingie off his signature? Dean requested it because he thought that Da's comments were alienating too many of his supporters and making the Democratic party look too far to the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se
    In the near term the high court vacancy could lead to a paralyzing confirmation fight that ties up Congress for the foreseeable future, delaying -- or derailing -- other ambitious elements of Mr. Bush's second-term agenda, such as overhauling Social Security and the tax code.
    Justice O'Connor's retirement offers surprise consolation for social conservatives, who have long wished to see her replaced with a more reliable vote on hot-button issues. Indeed, Justice O'Connor's final opinions, handed down Monday, underscored the disappointment conservatives have felt since Ronald Reagan named her to the court in 1981: Writing that religion should remain "a matter for the individual conscience, not for the prosecutor or bureaucrat," she found that display of the Ten Commandments on government property was unconstitutional. Such views -- along with her support of abortion rights and affirmative action – and their propensity to surface in 5-4 decisions, frustrated Republicans who have longed to reverse legal trends in place since the New Deal.
    Why shouldn't Republicans be frustrated with her views? What you call abortion rights many Republicans would call murder. And what you call affirmative action most Republicans would call reverse discrimination in the same spirit that legal property was once a euphemism for the word slave.

As far as Republican's longing to reverse things since the New Deal?!? That's such a stretch, I had thought I was seeing Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four but reminded myself that doesn't open until next week. Hey Moose, here's a quick history lesson for you. One of the New Deal's longest lasting legacies was this government program called Social Security. It was last attempted to be saved by Ronald Reagan, and more recently is attempting to be saved by George W. Bush despite thwarting efforts of many Democrats who would rather hide on safer politicial ground thus selling out future generations. And I won't even go into that other Democrat who buried his head in the sand (and other things) for 8 years on the issue being content to let FDR's great legacy die a slow death. Be careful what you plagarize.
    Why shouldn't Republicans be frustrated with her views?
    You should, that's why it was mentioned.
    Hey Moose, here's a quick history lesson for you. One of the New Deal's longest lasting legacies was this government program called Social Security.
    Thanks for the history lesson. The World According to Garp was just as entertaining albeit less provoking. Good read: http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0126-22.htm
    It was last attempted to be saved by Ronald Reagan, and more recently is attempting to be saved by George W. Bush despite thwarting efforts of many Democrats who would rather hide on safer politicial ground thus selling out future generations. And I won't even go into that other Democrat who buried his head in the sand (and other things) for 8 years on the issue being content to let FDR's great legacy die a slow death.
    Please count the heads of Republicans that oppose GWB's attempt to "save" social security and then blame Democrats for derailing it.
    Be careful what you plagarize.
    Your threat is taken.
    -Mark Twain
    Will this hold true this time?

Tar & Feather, Inc.: A Liberal 10-Step Plan for Judicial Character Assassination

http://upordownvote.com/xp303htm/tar.htm

With the same liberal extremists in leadership since 1987, we can predict the 10 steps that People for the American Way, Alliance for Justice, National Organization for Women, NAACP, and the others will take to smear President Bush’s Supreme Court nominees. The 10 steps will be a carbon copy of the campaigns against Judges Bork, Souter, and Thomas.......

===========

CLICK HERE: Advertisement from Right

Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/02/2005 at 08:59 AM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast