Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    ...but I doubt the christians will allow any nominee that they are unsure of.
    News Flash: the christians don't get a vote. neither to the daughters of the american revolution. neither do members of the local Teamsters,... That privilege is reserved for members of the United States Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    I see what you mean, but what I was referring to is can't you chalk them up to the liberal side of the tablet as you can Renquist, Scallia and Thomas to the Conservative side.
    I think you can count on them to come out on the liberal side.

Whats interesting is the partisanship of confirmation for judges now. Scalia has pointed out on occasion that even though he is conservative (and Congress and the President knew he was conservative), he was still confirmed unanimously (98-0) during his hearing process.

Scalia's argument is that because some judges now look at the constitution as a living document (and not from an originalist perspective) is that it has now become partisan on who gets appointed because the perception is that they will vote their politics.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

...but I doubt the christians will allow any nominee that they are unsure of.
    yeah...this was a pretty absurd comment.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    News Flash: the christians don't get a vote. neither to the daughters of the american revolution. neither do members of the local Teamsters,... That privilege is reserved for members of the United States Senate.
    Although literally you are correct, I think its obvious to most that all the lobbying groups (from the far left to the far right) will be throwing money at every person they can, not only in the Senate, but also at the Judiciary Committee members and all the other political organizations (I bet as we type that there are tv ads being put together right now!)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Without naming names, I've seen some paranoid, if not just stupidly ridiculous comments in this thread...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho

Scalia's argument is that because some judges now look at the constitution as a living document (and not from an originalist perspective:

The supreme election of 2000 gave the lie to any pose of constitutional moral purist high ground.

Scalie et al decided that case, that election, based on the outcome that they wanted -- then sought a THONG of constitutional rationalization to justify themselves.

They as much confessed this when they stated that that decision should not be used subsequently as procedent !!!
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/02/2005 at 12:32 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Without naming names, I've seen some paranoid, if not just stupidly ridiculous comments in this thread...

should I be taking shelter in place for the **** bombs on the way -- or should I evacuate, as it were, the capitol ?
    Although literally you are correct, I think its obvious to most that all the lobbying groups (from the far left to the far right) will be throwing money at every person they can, not only in the Senate, but also at the Judiciary Committee members and all the other political organizations (I bet as we type that there are tv ads being put together right now!)
    If he is literally correct, isnt the rest of your comment moot??
    The supreme election of 2000 gave the lie to any pose of constitutional moral purist high ground.

Scalie et al decided that case, that election, based on the outcome that they wanted -- then sought a THONG of constitutional rationalization to justify themselves.

They as much confessed this when they stated that that decision would have not be used subsequently as procedent !!!
    Is this the type of post you're referring to Insertion?

No offense BARYE but that was 5 years ago - maybe you could get the name of daThomas' therapist too
    ... maybe you could get the name of daThomas' therapist too
    I think it's Howard Dean?? Wait, maybe he's just an MD. Nevermind

No offense BARYE but that was 5 years ago - maybe you could get the name of daThomas' therapist too

how many years ago was Roe V. Wade ??? get over it !

but I wish my observation would get a serious response:

"The supreme election of 2000 gave the lie to any pose of constitutional moral purist high ground.

They as much confessed this when they stated that that decision should not be used subsequently as procedent !!!"

And you guys can be gentle with me -- I'm a newby here !!
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/02/2005 at 12:34 AM.
    should I be taking shelter in place for the **** bombs on the way -- or should I evacuate, as it were, the capitol ?
    It was the "Armageddon" remark.

Even a non-believer like myself isn't worried about the US becoming Taliban-West. The sky won't fall, he's not appointing the Pope to the SCOTUS.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

"The supreme election of 2000 gave the lie to any pose of constitutional moral purist high ground.

They as much confessed this when they stated that that decision would have not be used subsequently as procedent !!!"

And you guys can be gentle with me -- I'm a newby here !!
    Personally, I dont think you've made a serious observation. But that's just my opinion
  14.    #34  
    Scalia's argument is that because some judges now look at the constitution as a living document (and not from an originalist perspective) is that it has now become partisan on who gets appointed because the perception is that they will vote their politics.
    Back on topic...

This is a key observation. Interest groups are using litigation as a means to advance their political agenda, rather than relying on legislation. And in concert, the lawyers are proposing anywhere from stetched to flat-out farfetched slants on existing law, trying to get a ruling.

It should be no wonder that the appointment process has become so political. Unfortunately for all Americans, this can only lead to further polarization.

The three-legged stool is very stable as long as the legs are equal size and displacement. When any one gets too big or too small, or moves too close to another, it's only a matter of time before it falls.....along with everything that's resting on it.
    Would this be a Contitutional THONG??

Never was an issue for me.....though I don't believe abortion should be used as contraception, I also don't beleive it's my right to tell someone else how to make their own decisions

They as much confessed this when they stated that that decision would have not be used subsequently as procedent !!!"
    I don't see a problem with the decision myself - regardless of who the "winner" was. I felt the argument to continue down the ridiculous path of interpreting votes should have ended long before.
    oink
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Would this be a Contitutional THONG??

that be similar -- the one I thought I saw was same one as was on Miss Lewinsky ...
    that be similar -- the one I thought I saw was same one as was on Miss Lewinsky ...
    Thanx for ruining a perfectly good fantasy!

Never was an issue for me.....though I don't believe abortion should be used as contraception, I also don't beleive it's my right to tell someone else how to make their own decisions

I don't see a problem with the decision myself - regardless of who the "winner" was. I felt the argument to continue down the ridiculous path of interpreting votes should have ended long before.
    if elections are a truly sacred right in a democracy -- and one man one vote means anything -- the recount that the Florida Supreme court ordered should have been finished under neutral observation.

My tangent btw, was in response to the comment that the supreme conservatives are somehow more repectful of original intent: "originalist perspective".

The 2000 election ruling where the supreme conservatives state that their decision would have no weight of precedent, disproved that absolutely.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/02/2005 at 12:39 AM.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast