Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just download Google Earth. It's amazing!!!

Has anyone else tried it?
    It says "Downloads temporarily suspended"

http://earth.google.com
    Last edited by leadtrumpetdave; 06/30/2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Didnt microsoft have a site called 'teraserver' or something that had satellite images as well?

This does look pretty cool though.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Didnt microsoft have a site called 'teraserver' or something that had satellite images as well?

This does look pretty cool though.
    Still do:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Also, if you go to Google maps, you can get a satellite view as well as the basic map view.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #6  
    I think the most intriguing thing about this is it's combination with search functions. You can select check boxes for hotels, restaurants, schools, zip codes, city boundaries, etc., etc., and it highlights them on the keyhole satellite image, so you can see where the restaurant is in relation to your hotel, for example. The ability to tilt and 360 the image is also pretty cool. You just type in a city and state, or city and country (e.g., Paris, France), and it rotates the globe and zooms in. You can see the freaken' Eiffel Tower for gosh sake!!

The only downside is that the beta appears to be based upon approximately two year old sattelite images. I don't know if it will ever be real time (for national security reasons?), but it needs to be relatively recent info for the search integration to be meaningful.

If you haven't yet downloaded it and tried it, I highly recommend it!!
    it won't login because it says I have to be a subscriber... I download from alex_matthews link to major geek. It's called google earth plus. does this mean it's a different version that I can't use?

google's suspended download from it's site.
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    there's an option to run it in free mode from the Help menu, but it still won;t connect to the servers. given that they suspended downloads, it doesn't surprise me that they may have stopped access to their servers.

I hope this comes back up, I'm dying to try it! I just got the new TomTom Navigator 5 bluetooth GPS systems and it looks like google earth Plus has GPS compatibility (hence the subscription fee). That would blown my mind! The screen shots are amazing!
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
  8.    #9  
    I downloaded it on Tuesday and have been playing with ever since (that is when I'm not doing my day job!). I used it this afternoon and it was working fine. The must have limited the amount of downloads so that they didn't overload their server.
    It must be back up-I just downloaded it. Nice
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews

hey alex.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Ok, anybody know what the area that is blacked out above Lake Tahoe, near Susanville, CA is hiding?

Also, did you find the airplane flying above DFW airport and the huge fire burning in Alaska?

Cruise ships in port in Vancouver?

Heck I was even able to see the cover was on my pool when photo was shot.

Addicting!
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    I think the most intriguing thing about this is it's combination with search functions. You can select check boxes for hotels, restaurants, schools, zip codes, city boundaries, etc., etc., and it highlights them on the keyhole satellite image, so you can see where the restaurant is in relation to your hotel, for example. The ability to tilt and 360 the image is also pretty cool. You just type in a city and state, or city and country (e.g., Paris, France), and it rotates the globe and zooms in. You can see the freaken' Eiffel Tower for gosh sake!!

The only downside is that the beta appears to be based upon approximately two year old sattelite images. I don't know if it will ever be real time (for national security reasons?), but it needs to be relatively recent info for the search integration to be meaningful.

If you haven't yet downloaded it and tried it, I highly recommend it!!
    Can you look up a specific site like the "Parthenon" in Athens or the Eiffel Tower? I can't figure that out. I can get the city but can't specify the site.

Tks in advance.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I read somewhere that Google seems to have X Downloads per day. In the morning you usually get it, by Lunch it's suspended.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Can you look up a specific site like the "Parthenon" in Athens or the Eiffel Tower? I can't figure that out. I can get the city but can't specify the site.

Tks in advance.
    Bump
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  15.    #16  
    Tiger

I haven't tried searching by landmark yet. I typed in 'Paris, France' and then zoomed around until I found the Eiffel Tower (I new generally where it was in the city from a visit in 2002).

I'll try again on Monday (It's on my office computer, darn!) and post the results.

I agree with the previous poster. It is addictive!! I keep wanting to launch it at work and globetrot, but I keep thinking that my boss is gonna walk into my office!
    Tks eTreo. Let me know what you find.

I love this app but there must be a way to zero in a famous landmarks other than going to the location and looking for it.

Tks again
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I saw Google Earth yesterday on a hurricane news report and quickly downloaded it.

Very, very, COOOOOOOOL!

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Okay......I am officially impressed!!!!! I think I might even spring the $20 bucks for the Plus version in order to import csv files.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Okay......I am officially impressed!!!!! I think I might even spring the $20 bucks for the Plus version in order to import csv files.

csv files ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast