View Poll Results: Which one is going to jail for Treason?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karl Rove

26 61.90%
  • "Scooter" Libby

12 28.57%
  • John Bolton

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Time Magazine to Hand Over Reporter Notes

NEW YORK - Time Inc. said Thursday it would comply with a court order to deliver the notes of a reporter threatened with jail in a probe of the leak of a CIA officer's name. The New York Times, which is also involved in the dispute, said it was "deeply disappointed" at the move, which came days after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected two journalists' appeal.

U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan is threatening to jail Matthew Cooper, Time's White House correspondent, and Judith Miller of the Times for contempt for refusing to disclose their sources. Time said it believed its cooperation would make Cooper's jailing unnecessary.

The Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear the reporters' appeal and the grand jury investigating the leak expires in October. If jailed, the reporters would be freed at that time.

In a statement, Time, which is a defendant in the case along with the two reporters, said it believes "the Supreme Court has limited press freedom in ways that will have a chilling effect on our work and that may damage the free flow of information that is so necessary in a democratic society."

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/...rters_contempt
    None of the above
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I didnt vote because I havent seen any information that any of them might be involved. I think when the notes and other papers get turned over, it will probably be someone who ends up being a kind of scapegoat.

Im a little disappointed in the S.Ct. decision to not review the case but I can definitely see the argument that its important from a national security standpoint to not reveal the identities of our agents v. freedom of the press to keep sources confidential.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Ditto - Treason is a bit much don't you think?
    Nobody...

And Tom Cruise is still an ***...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I didnt vote because I havent seen any information that any of them might be involved. I think when the notes and other papers get turned over, it will probably be someone who ends up being a kind of scapegoat.

Im a little disappointed in the S.Ct. decision to not review the case but I can definitely see the argument that its important from a national security standpoint to not reveal the identities of our agents v. freedom of the press to keep sources confidential.
    I would have read over this and see if it changes your mind at all.

John Bolton, Downing Street, Mohamed ElBaradei, and Valerie Plame

One of the nagging questions of the Valerie Plame case has always been who in the White House would have even known who Valerie Plame, covert CIA operative, actually was. The identity of covert agents is strictly compartmentalized information; even in high-level briefings on the actions or intelligence gathered by those agents, the agents themselves are identified by alias or code, not by name. The reasons for this practice are obvious.

-snip-

It is undisputed among all parties that Plame's covert work involved principally the gathering of intelligence related to weapons of mass destruction, which put her at an important nexus of operations in the runup to the Iraq War. At another nexus point across town, during the same period, was John Bolton.

While Plame and other covert operatives acted as the raw sources of WMD intelligence, Bolton was one of the significant administration officials guiding the acceptance and use of that intelligence. It might not be putting too fine a point on it to say that news reports have painted Bolton as a counterintelligence agent for the White House; a figure charged not only gathering with the "correct" intelligence to support the administration position, but with retaliation against sources of information or analysis contrary to the Bush Administration's desired pre-Iraq-War interpretations in order to refute, stifle, or punish those sources. Some of these counterintelligence operations -- and given the targets of Bolton's wrath, that would appear to be an accurate, if inflammatory, term to use -- appear to have taken place on Bolton's own initiative, such as his efforts to remove State Department employees who advanced WMD analyses different from endorsed Bush Administration views.
    Beyond the simple questions of Bolton's behavior towards subordinates and perceived political enemies, however, the most serious discoveries raised in conformation hearings have been the well-sourced charges that Bolton requested and obtained highly secret NSA intercepts of conversations between or about other American officials, seemingly focused on efforts of Colin Powell and other State Department figures involved in WMD investigative or diplomatic efforts. This revelation has been remarkable precisely because it is so unusual: Steve Clemons reported at The Washington Note, back in April, on some of the early speculations:

Part of the problem with the NSA intercepts is that the NSA is NOT SUPPOSED to eavesdrop on domestic calls and electronic transmissions. If Bill Richardson was in fact eavesdropped on by the NSA, then this provides some concern that the NSA was monitoring Richardson's conversations with Colin Powell about the North Korea diplomatic effort. Everyone I know who has connections to the NSA world tells me that this would be extraordinary and would shatter trust in the NSA's methods and objectives.
    On another front, some were speculating that Bolton's real target of interest was American Envoy for Negotiations with North Korea Jack Pritchard. There seem to have been a number of other officials who interested him as well. The issue with Pritchard, however, is that Bolton was requesting names of officials that were scrubbed out in intercept transcripts. It would have been clear to Bolton or anyone else reading the NSA reports who the official was if it was Pritchard -- so the request for a name seems either redundant or silly.

Let's presume that Bolton was not asking for the "obvious" then. It then seems reasonable to assume that if Bolton was asking for the identities of U.S. officials whose names had been scrubbed by the NSA, that what he was really interested in investigating were foreign conversations, taking place abroad, that referred to U.S. officials or conversations with U.S. officials.

A well-placed source tells me that when the NSA intercepts are read in full, they will demonstrate something unsurprising to those familiar with Bolton's record. The source says that what will be clear is an ongoing-pattern of very poor judgment by John Bolton who was driven by "personal vanity" and "blustery crusades" while "delinquent in his real, assigned responsibilities within his portfolio."
    Read More at Link
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Nobody...

And Tom Cruise is still an ***...
    He lives down the street from me and so does John Travolta, and Kirstie Alley. The Church of Scientology is headquartered in Clearwater so we get to see all the minions as well. They are a strange breed those folks are.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Ditto - Treason is a bit much don't you think?
    You think outing a CIA agent in the field is not treasonous?
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    daThomas she wasn't in the field anymore as far as I know, but she still had CIA cover for possible future missions and also to protect those she worked with that are still in the field. There is no telling how many CIA agents lost there lives due to the outing.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Not if fighting with Islamic enemies is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    There is no telling how many CIA agents lost there lives due to the outing.
    if any...
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Not if fighting with Islamic enemies is not.
    Expand please.
    The downing street memo is BS.... sorry...

Besides, get over it already. What was that circa 2002? Dems need to get new material, cuz they aint' gonna win with that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    if any...
    That is my point. The CIA does not confirm deaths of their agents, so we will be in the dark on this one. But, it is a good bet that atleast one operative died. Do you know what kinda work she did for CIA?
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The downing street memo is BS.... sorry...

Besides, get over it already. What was that circa 2002? Dems need to get new material, cuz they aint' gonna win with that...
    Worried?
    Worried?

No, but it seems you're desperate...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Expand please.
    John Walker Lind(sp) and other Americans that have been arrested for helping the terrorists - if that isn't Treason you'd be hard pressed to define it for me.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    No, but it seems you're desperate...
    Nope, I just enjoy the truth.
    Nope, I just enjoy the truth.
    The literal truth or the spun truth?
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    John Walker Lind(sp) and other Americans that have been arrested for helping the terrorists - if that isn't Treason you'd be hard pressed to define it for me.
    Gotcha, I would charge him with Treason if he still had his US citizenship. Not that it would stick but I would sure try.
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast