Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1.    #1  
    Well, actually I just ordered it. I probably wont have it for 2 weeks or so. But, I feel the need to be completely prepared for its arrival!!

    Specifically, I want to know if there are any "essential" accessories you guys/ladies would recommend.

    Also, is there anything I should know about syncing my Treo with a 2nd computer? (I know there is info on this elsewhere on the forum, but it fits with this thread, right?)

    By the way, I ordered a Dell Inspiron 600m. (Decision was based on advice from a very well-informed friend, even though I probably would have avoided Dell otherwise)

    -Pentium M 725 (1.6GHz/400MHz FSB)
    -XGA with 64MB video
    -1GB Ram
    -60GB HD
    -Internal wifi
    -!!!! Internal Bluetooth !!!!!


    EDIT: This thread has now gotten way off topic, but it is fun nonetheless. Please feel free to post suggestions anyway. Comments of other sorts are also welcome.
    Last edited by leadtrumpetdave; 07/06/2005 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Hindsight is 20/20
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  2. #2  
    Is this a desktop replacement or to carry around??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3. #3  
    Knowing how to use DUN with a Treo and a laptop is convenient at times for internet/email access while on the road.
  4. #4  
    This may seem obvious, but you should protect you investment. Here's how I do it:

    http://www.wengerna.com/browse/produ...&sub_cat_id=63
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Is this a desktop replacement or to carry around??
    No, its main purpose will be for school. My wife and I go out of town a lot and it has been hard to do homework while away. Also I'll take notes on it, listen to music, surf, etc. during downtime.

    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    This may seem obvious, but you should protect you investment. Here's how I do it:

    http://www.wengerna.com/browse/produ...&sub_cat_id=63
    Actually I'm looking at one of these. I haven't heard anything bad about backpacks, and I definitely prefer that form factor for school. Is there any reason I should consider otherwise?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    Actually I'm looking at one of these. I haven't heard anything bad about backpacks, and I definitely prefer that form factor for school. Is there any reason I should consider otherwise?
    I would just make sure it's got good padding as your likely to roughhouse your laptop with a backpack.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    I would just make sure it's got good padding as your likely to roughhouse your laptop with a backpack.
    You're right. In the past I tended to drop my bag with a thud when I set it down. Time to change old habits, I guess. I did opt for the Dell 3-year Plus Solutions warranty package which covers accidental damage with free repair/replacement, but if I don't have to deal with the hassle I'd prefer not to.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    You're right. In the past I tended to drop my bag with a thud when I set it down. Time to change old habits, I guess. I did opt for the Dell 3-year Plus Solutions warranty package which covers accidental damage with free repair/replacement, but if I don't have to deal with the hassle I'd prefer not to.
    My rule of thumb is the case must be able to protect my laptop should it fall down an escalator.

    If the warranty outright replaces, that's good. I had to have my Micron replaced two years in after it fell on the concrete. The warranty was worth it.

    Also, TODAY,not next week, not down the road, but TODAY, go get a surge protector that ALSO protects the phone line. If you can aford an APS all the better, but at least have the surge protection on the laptop and the modem, as well as any router or DSL or cable box. And buy a good one (doesn't have to run $100).

    Then, one last thing, pick up some I-Klear - http://iklear.com/ - you can also buy this at Apple Stores. It's the only cleaner to use on your laptop. Most ALL you'll find in office stores contain alcohol.

    Baby your laptop and it will reward you. I've used mine as a desktop (cause when I got this replacement two years ago I fell in love and just let the other one collect dust) - it runs about 16 hours a day, has external harddrives, scanner, two printers, synching dock and five other peripherals connected. I run PhotoShop, Outlook, FireFox, IE, Notetab, GAIM, FTP and at least one Office App the entire time it's on.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Also, TODAY,not next week, not down the road, but TODAY, go get a surge protector that ALSO protects the phone line. If you can aford an APS all the better, but at least have the surge protection on the laptop and the modem, as well as any router or DSL or cable box. And buy a good one (doesn't have to run $100).

    Pamela
    I don't plan on using a phone line or otherwise in the foreseeable future, all wireless. I did order the Tripplite Traveler (is this one good?) with my laptop and I already use a surge protector for my cable modem and will soon use it for my router!

    And I will be getting some iKlear also. Thanks.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  10.    #10  
    Can anyone recommend a good, SMALL, inexpensive bluetooth mouse?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  11. #11  
    Cool bags. Check this out too. They are made by Booq. I got one for my 17" Apple PowerBook and love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    Actually I'm looking at one of these. I haven't heard anything bad about backpacks, and I definitely prefer that form factor for school. Is there any reason I should consider otherwise?
  12. #12  
    dont drop it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  13. #13  
    Don't let your friends borrow it, specially for surfing the web.
  14. #14  
    Ask Woof about letting somebody else use your laptop
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Ask Woof about letting somebody else use your laptop
    NO!!!! Don't ask him!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Ask Woof about letting somebody else use your laptop
    HOLY CRAP!!!! I just read Woof's experience here.

    Thanks for the advice, as I tend to be a trusting guy!!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    HOLY CRAP!!!! I just read Woof's experience here.

    Thanks for the advice, as I tend to be a trusting guy!!
    I'm just here to help.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  18. Hanuman's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #18  
    Don't surf the web or otherwise use your laptop too long, while actually resting it on your lap. You will roast your 'nads.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  19. #19  
    Oh..and every once in a while, you need to charge the battery
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  20. #20  
    Backup Your Data! Regularly! I'm not kidding!

    Cheers, Perry.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions