View Poll Results: Who Will Win The Tour De France

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lance Armstrong

    26 96.30%
  • Ivan Basso

    0 0%
  • Jan Ullrich

    0 0%
  • Iban Mayo

    0 0%
  • Levi Leipheimer

    0 0%
  • Roberto Heras

    0 0%
  • Floyd Landis

    0 0%
  • Robbie McEwen

    0 0%
  • Santiago Botero

    0 0%
  • Francisco Mancebo

    1 3.70%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 114
  1.    #1  
    The tour starts on Saturday. Until Lance came along, for 100 years only 4 men (Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain) were able to win the Tour 5 times, and only Miguel Indurain consecutively. Lance has already won it six times in a row and is now going for Seven! He is certainly among the older age bracket in the tour with some good younger competition.

    There probably are only 10 predicted contenders that have a realistic, though some optimistic, chance at winning....or at being among the top 3. Who do you think will win the tour this year?

    Here is a good link to get an overview of this year's Tour:

    http://www.dummocrats.com/archives/001003.php
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/29/2005 at 04:28 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I voted Lance, but I think the first day in the mountains will be a sure sign of what is to come.

    The top three IMHO is Lance, Baso, and Ulrich.

    It is also interesting that 3 of the top ten contenders are Lance's former teammates and domonisques (sp) for Armstrong.
  3. #3  
    I didn't see his name on the list, but my darkhorse is....





    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4. #4  
    LOL!

    I voted for Lance, he seems to have the most experience winning the tour. Not to go OT in the OT thread but whatever happened to those rumors about him possibly doping (I dont think he does but I can understand how others think he might.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  5.    #5  
  6. #6  
    Gotta go with the champ until someone takes it away - he is an amazing physical specimen.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    LOL!

    I voted for Lance, he seems to have the most experience winning the tour. Not to go OT in the OT thread but whatever happened to those rumors about him possibly doping (I dont think he does but I can understand how others think he might.)
    With all the foriegn press on it....good question.

    The best answer is from the Press conference I saw with Lance about 5-8 months ago. It was dealing with a book that was being published in somewhere in the EU (maybe GB) mainly focused on the fact that Lance HAS to be taking drugs. Who could do what he has done with the challenges he has face? filed suit for slander...never what came of it though.

    The bottom line is....They had no evidence. Lance IS the most drug tested pro athlete in the world from any sport, with every single test coming back negative. It is also known that he starts training months before a lot other pro cyclists do and trains on average 2-4 hours longer daily. I think the digs he made during a few commecials, especially the Nike one, says it all:

    http://www.bio.cmu.edu/~bts/biking/i...rmstrongOn.mov
    http://www.bio.cmu.edu/~bts/biking/i...ongProveIt.swf

    Here are just some others:
    http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/seelanceride/main.html
    http://www.bio.cmu.edu/~bts/biking/images/movies/
  8. #8  
    I think it was really the Frenchies that are having trouble with his successes.

    "It appears that since the French have yet to find a way to beat
    Lance Armstrong in their national cycling tour, they are going to
    great lengths to bring him down through other means. On
    January 20th, the six-time winner of the Tour de France was
    forced, yet again, to field questions revolving around an
    investigation by French authorities into alleged doping practices."

    Very poor sports.

    Article
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9. #9  
    Frogs
  10. #10  
    Actually...it's the frog's legs that seem to be the problem

    Well behaved women rarely make history
  11. #11  
    so rubbery....
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The top three IMHO is Lance, Baso, and Ulrich.
    I agree with this. Assuming Lance has no equipment or physical problems, he going to take it. Plus, he's super motivated since this is his last.
  13. #13  
    wimpy..wimpy..wimpy
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I voted Lance, but I think the first day in the mountains will be a sure sign of what is to come.
    Do you say this because, historically, Lance builds up a substantial lead in the climbs?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Do you say this because, historically, Lance builds up a substantial lead in the climbs?
    or because this will show conditioning
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I think it was really the Frenchies that are having trouble with his successes.

    "It appears that since the French have yet to find a way to beat
    Lance Armstrong in their national cycling tour, they are going to
    great lengths to bring him down through other means. On
    January 20th, the six-time winner of the Tour de France was
    forced, yet again, to field questions revolving around an
    investigation by French authorities into alleged doping practices."

    Very poor sports.

    Article
    Heck the french only won their first single stage in the Tour last year after how many years? They haven't had anyone as a serious contender since the days of Bernard Hinault when Greg Lemond finally put him back in his place with his broken promises of support.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/29/2005 at 09:32 PM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    They haven't had anyone as a serious contender since the days of Bernard Hinault when Greg Lemond finally put him back in his place with his broken promises of support.
    Damn selfish Americans anyway......
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Do you say this because, historically, Lance builds up a substantial lead in the climbs?
    Because he rules in the mountains. For the last 6 years, with VERY few isolated situations (mostly from last year), no one....and I am not exagerating...no one has been able to answer him in the mountains. He has had the freedom from his ability to attack on que whenever he felt like it.

    Also historically he stamps his dominance on the first day in the mountains. It is has been his way of saying, I am here and I am in charge.

    On Alpe DíHeuz up hill time trial, with it's 21 switchbacks it mostly recognized as one of the hardest climbs in any tour, in only 15.5 short kilometers and climbing over 1130 m in elevation, Lance was able to put anywhere from 1-3 minutes on that one stage alone on each of his closest rivals.

  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Because he rules in the mountains. For the last 6 years, with VERY few isolated situations (mostly from last year), no one....and I am not exagerating...no one has been able to answer him in the mountains. He has had the freedom from his ability to attack on que whenever he felt like it.
    I guess whats amazing to me about that fact is that you would think if someone could push him (I mean really challenge him) then I could understand more how much more he is driven (mental toughness). Because no one can really challenge him in the mountains, it makes his dominance that much more impressive.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  20. #20  
    With a heart 1/3 larger, pumping 9 gallons of blood per minute (normal is about 4) and the ability to purge his body of lactic acid more quickly then the normal person, seems like he's found the perfect sport for his physioligy...
    Last edited by treo2die4; 06/29/2005 at 06:20 PM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions