0 0%
  • Robbie McEwen

0 0%
  • Santiago Botero

0 0%
  • Francisco Mancebo

1 3.70%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Looks like Armstrong is going to do it for the 7th time...!!!! An american conquered France again!
    Quote Originally Posted by oclv_9900
    For all the people without OLN you can see a recap of the first stages on CBS today. The show is supposed to start at 3 p.m. EDT but, you should probably check your listings as there is a live Champ car race airing before the TdF show.
    Just like C-BS pawning off something that's two weeks old as news....sheesh
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Just like C-BS pawning off something that's two weeks old as news....sheesh
    Yeah, I know C-BS does suck. But, for those of us without OLN it is as good as it gets for Tour coverage.

Besides, when I posted that the "news" was only a week old.
    Quote Originally Posted by oclv_9900
    Yeah, I know C-BS does suck. But, for those of us without OLN it is as good as it gets for Tour coverage.

Besides, when I posted that the "news" was only a week old.
    I dont know if you're aware, but it's over tomorrow, and Lance will win.
    Whats the point of the last day anyways? Supposedly it's ceremonial, and not competitive...I mean, in baseball, the 9th inning counts!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    When it comes to France, this is about as good as it gets.

I hope that cycling remains popular in the US after Lance's retirement. I've been GLUED to OLN every Summer for the past 8 years!
    Glue Remover

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Whats the point of the last day anyways? Supposedly it's ceremonial, and not competitive...I mean, in baseball, the 9th inning counts!
    Technically, if the team losing going into the 9th doesnt score, than only 1/2 of the 9th really counts

Isnt there still one more leg tomorrow morning (early I guess). A lot of people will be watching (they are used to seeing him winning).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Technically, if the team losing going into the 9th doesnt score, than only 1/2 of the 9th really counts

Isnt there still one more leg tomorrow morning (early I guess). A lot of people will be watching (they are used to seeing him winning).
    The losing team always has 27 outs. They don't stop after 24.

So why doesn't anyone else get a chance to win the TDF on the last day? What the hell is the point in even having it? End it a day sooner, or make the last day count. Only in France...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I dont know if you're aware, but it's over tomorrow, and Lance will win.
    I thought everyone knew he was going to win before it started.

So why doesn't anyone else get a chance to win the TDF on the last day? What the hell is the point in even having it? End it a day sooner, or make the last day count. Only in France...
    I've never really understood this part either. I think they should race until the end in Paris. It's strange that everyone just "surrenders" on the last day.
    It's official!!! He did it for the 7th time and for the last time... Great job Lance.. Hate to see you go....
  13.    #73  
    The losing team always has 27 outs. They don't stop after 24.

Several reasons actually.

First of all, it is a real stage in the race. Historically, by this time the leader for the GC (general classification...aka the Yellow Jersey) is so far ahead (Lance was 4:40 ahead of Basso in 2nd place) that it is virtually impossible to make up that much time on such a flat stage.....with the exception of a some dumb bad luck like a crash. In fact Lance very nearly did crash half way through the stage.

But the Tour is not just about the Yellow Jersey. There are always several other battles going on that outside of the USA hold nearly just as much glory as a Yellow Jersey.

But on the last stage there is usually a battle going on for the other places in the GC. This year the big battle was for who was going 5th and included in the top 5. Last year or the year before the spot for 2nd and 3rd could have gone either way on the last day.

But there are times when the last stage has proven to THE most important stage. For example in 1989, Greg LeMond was sitting in 2nd place behind France's Laurent Fignon by 50 seconds. The last stage was a time trail. Greg LeMond, not only made up all of the lost time but won the stage by 8 seconds...(which if you are familiar with cycling you would know that this was a incredible feat that NO one would have ever thought possible in such a short time trail)......which meant after 3 weeks, 3,000 miles, racing through Alps, Lemond claimed victory for his 3rd Tour victory by defeating the second of the French champions to challenge him, with the closest margain in the 102 year history of the Tour.....all on the last day of the race.

But the Tour de France is not just about the Yellow Jersey. That is the big one...but only one of the jerseys. There is the White Jersey for the best young rider (kind of like a mini yellow jersey).

There are also two points jerseys. Points are awarded throughout each stage for various reasons. Each of the top 25 spots in each stage gets anywhere from 35 to 1 points. There are sprint points through the stage that are awarded to the first 3 to pass under the flag. There are also points for the first 3 who pass over any category climb or mountain. There is the Polka Dot Jersey for the one with the most points earned by the one with the most Mountain points...so the Polkadot Jersey nicknamed the king of the mountain.

The other Points jersey is the Green Jersey. This one is always fought after and is usually a pretty good battle to watch. And as has standard for the last 5 years or so.....the Green Jersey has come done to the last stage to decide who wins.

But again, as for the Yellow Jersey (if the lead is big enough), it more of a day to stay out of trouble, enjoy the champaign on the bike, and soak up all the glory for a race you know you have won.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/25/2005 at 10:59 PM.
    I dunno Hobbes...I remember being at Dodgers Stadium when Kirk Gibson hit a rather historic home run...imagine if they just told the A's that night, "This is just cereminonial, you go soak up your victory..."

15.    #75  
    If you want to see the highlights of the tour, in just a few clips, then go to:

And you could probably watch all the exciting parts of the last three weeks in 30-40 minutes.
  16.    #76  
    I dunno Hobbes...I remember being at Dodgers Stadium when Kirk Gibson hit a rather historic home run...imagine if they just told the A's that night, "This is just cereminonial, you go soak up your victory..."
    There is a big difference in a game that can be won with 3 good hits, vs a cycling where the leader has a 5 minute lead on a world where races are won on a consistant basis by a under 10 seconds after 1-3 weeks of racing.

Now if the time difference had been something like 60 seconds or under, that could prove to be a whole different ball game, but 5 minutes on a flat stage ending with 8 laps on a circuit course is as good as having a 2 hour lead before the stage started. Especially considering that there really isn't another team that can match Lance's team on the flats if they really had to take control of the race.
    But still, as you say, he could fall. So, supposing he did fall, and broke his knee, and was unable to finish during this ceremonial 5 minute lead tour...does the race come to a halt? Too much monkeying around with the rules for me.

18.    #78  
    It is amazing that there are 3 Americans in the top 10 and 5 Americans total in the top 20!!!!! This is a first to have Americans dominate the top 20 of the GC. Christophe Moreau, the only Frenchman in the top 20, couldn't hold onto his 10th place and slipped out out the top 10. Spain did really good this year too with 4 in the top 20. Here are the final Standings for this year's Tour:

1. Lance Armstrong (USA/DIS) 82h34min 05sec
    2. Ivan Basso (ITA/CSC) at 4:40
    3. Jan Ullrich (GER/MOB) 6:21
    4. Francisco Mancebo (SPA/BAL) 9:59
    5. Levi Leipheimer (USA/GRL) 11:25
    6. Alexander Vinokourov (KAZ/MOB) 11:27
    7. Michael Rasmussen (DEN/RAB) 11:33
    8. Cadel Evans (AUS/DAV) 11:55
    9. Floyd Landis (USA/PHO) 12:44
    10. Oscar Pereiro (SPA/PHO) 16:04
    11. Christophe Moreau (FRA/C.A) 16:26
    12. Yaroslav Popovych (UKR/DIS) 19:02
    13. Eddy Mazzoleni (ITA/LAM) 21:06
    14. George Hincapie (USA/DIS) 23:40
    15. Haimar Zubeldia (SPA/EUS) 23:43
    16. Jorg Jaksche (GER/LTY) 24:07
    17. Bobby Julich (USA/CSC) 24:08
    18. Oscar Sevilla (SPA/MOB) 27:45
    19. Andreď Kashechkin (KAZ/C.A) 28:04
    20. Giuseppe Guerini (ITA/MOB)
  19.    #79  
    But still, as you say, he could fall. So, supposing he did fall, and broke his knee, and was unable to finish during this ceremonial 5 minute lead tour...does the race come to a halt? Too much monkeying around with the rules for me.
    First of all it is not a Ceremonial lead. It was a hard earned lead that was fought over for the previous 3 weeks.

No Monkey business here. The lead time is for real. The last stage is for real. And Lance 3 days ago said himself "It's not over until you cross the line on the last stage. I have to keep my guard up and stay focused. If I fall and brake my collar bone with 50 kms to go on the last day, I would lose the race."

It is just as serious stage as any other. But with the lead he had, with the team he had, with the flat stage of the day, with the 8 laps on a circuit (which is VERY hard to keep a break away without getting caught under even the best of conditions, which the rain made the cobble stones VERY slippery on every turn of the circuit).....the only way Basso could have won was if Lance had to drop from the race due to an accident of some kind.

At this point, just because only one aspect of the race is all but secured, the race does not stop. Instead you focus one of the other several battles that is within your reach, i.e. gettin the Green Jersey or securing your teammates 5th place in the GC.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/25/2005 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    .....the only way Basso could have won was if Lance had to drop from the race due to an accident of some kind.
    Which is my whole point. Keep competing. Aside from Kirk Gibson, at the 1999 British Open, Jean Van de Velde could have still won on the 72nd hole, even by making double bogey. He made a triple, and lost in a playoff. (A three sroke lead on the final hole would be like a five minute lead.)

No other sport just rolls over like this, do they?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast