Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this is a stereotypical statement, and there are exceptions to the rule, but I think that it is generally recognized that a vast majority of the MSM (main stream media) does lean more left than right in what it reports, what it fails to report on, and the opinions expressed in editorials, etc....

There was a survey down just before last elections about the political unbalance in the media...i.e. giving Dems free passes on major issues and drilling Rep on minor issues. I would have to find the exact link again, but I did save the results:

Members of the Media (taking from TV, Newspapers, and Radio):

85% Admit liberal standing or affiliation
    7% Admit Conservative standing or affiliation
    4% Independent standing or affiliation
    2% Refused to answer

Here is also an article from the Washington Times that shows this possibility of this same leaning in the recent Durbin and Rove situations:

Bias, what bias?

http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20050...0228-2895r.htm

When will the network media and other "mainstream" outlets finally stop pretending to be balanced? Last week, for instance, the Big Three -- ABC, NBC and CBS -- had a wonderful time covering White House adviser Karl Rove's remarks at a conservative gathering in New York. As the Media Research Center reported, the day after Mr. Rove gave his talk, ABC's World News Tonight was on the story. CBS and NBC, both on their respective morning and evening shows, joined in a day later.

However, the same three networks didn't bother to mention Sen. **** Durbin's Senate floor comments from June 14. It wasn't until Mr. Durbin apologized June 21 -- seven days later -- for equating American soldiers to Nazis and other barbaric regimes that ABC's and NBC's evening news programs first aired the original comments. CBS didn't do so until Friday, and then only on its morning program.

Major newspapers weren't much better. While The Washington Post gave front-page coverage to Mr. Rove's comments the day after he said them, it took three days to give an inside story to Mr. Durbin's. The New York Times, USA Today and the Los Angeles Times performed even worse.

The suppression of Mr. Durbin's remarks might come as a surprise since lately the media has been all too eager to publish every outlandish criticism of the American military. But the exception also proves the rule: His indefensible comparison strengthens the critics' point that the left's anti-military bias has reached absurd levels. To publish it would only undermine the media's contention that its own anti-militarism is balanced and refined.......

And it's been known for a while that public opinion is turning against the media. Editor and Publisher cited a Gallup survey earlier this month which found that "public trust in newspapers and television news continued to decline ... in the United States, reaching an all-time low this year." What's surprising is that the establishment media seems intent on doing nothing about it.

The big question is....Is the MSM fair and balanced with the war in Iraq, the war on terrorism, the way they treat Rep vs Dems, etc...?

2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I feel the MSM is not biased just lazy.
    I say all of the above
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I feel the MSM is not biased just lazy.
    None of them are fair, and most arent even accurate
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    None of them are fair, and most arent even accurate
    To be fair there are inaccuracies due to developing and breaking news, which is fine if they report the latest developments and it is not fine if they don't report it because it goes against their general leaning, either right or left.

And then there are inaccuracies on both sides of the scale that are purely for political gain, to sell headlines, or personal agenda/beliefs/hatred/etc..
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/28/2005 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    To be fair there is inaccuracies due to developing and breaking news, which is fine if they report the latest developments and not fine if they don't report it because it goes against general leaning, either right or left. And then there is inaccuracies on both sides of the scale that are purely for political gain, to sell headlines, or personal agenda/beliefs/hatred/etc..
    I understand completely. It's just that the network newscasts, which can have information that is hours old is what a great majority of peeps watch. Everybody doesnt watch cable.
    Fox News and Talk Radio are parts of MSM.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    MSM (including Fox & Rush) are all distractions. Beware of ideology, I always say. If you vote against your own self-interest, you get what you deserve.
    Got Darts?
    Quote Originally Posted by triplespear
    MSM (including Fox & Rush) are all distractions. Beware of ideology, I always say. If you vote against your own self-interest, you get what you deserve.
    If you vote for your own self-interests, you also get what you deserve
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Study: Radio listeners are most polarized

A study by researchers at the University of Missouri School of Journalism in Columbia found that radio listeners are the most polarized news consumers, due in part to shows hosted by conservative commentators such as Rush Limbaugh. Conservative listeners, the study revealed, have their views reinforced by these shows, which may lead to even more extreme views. Newspaper readers, conversely, are the least polarized, since without the time constraints of radio and TV, newspapers are better able to impart information on all sides of an issue. Surprisingly, Internet users also are less polarized, perhaps because of the depth and breadth of information that the Web can provide.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/digest.htm
    Hey, I went to Mizzou for a year!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Hey, I went to Mizzou for a year!
    My soon to be wife went there.
    I think that overall the MSM leans left...is it good or bad...depend 
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

My ex-wife is still there

WooHoo!!!!

..depends on which side of the fence you are on ;-)

The MSM seem to have the same priority...selling news. Maybe the perception is that more news can be sold by bashing the right more than the left?

If that's NOT the perception...then you have to ask why do they do it?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    My ex-wife is still there

WooHoo!!!!
    Funny.
    Got Darts?
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If that's NOT the perception...then you have to ask why do they do it?
    Because they cannot believe all others don't believe as they do and they have a forum through which they are able to chastize the non-believers
    I guess my point is that people become so impassioned about their personal beliefs that they sometimes lose sight of the larger picture. Case in point: a person who would commit suicide in the service of some man's ideology. Or to a lesser extent: a person who would voluntarily give up constitutional freedoms in pursuit of a false sense of security or an overly emotional expression of patriotism. Bottom line: no government is ever to be trusted. That's why the constitution exists.
    Got Darts?
    Quote Originally Posted by triplespear
    Bottom line: no government is ever to be trusted. That's why the constitution exists.
    So...you trust the Constitution?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast