Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    here is a few things i love about the news (in a sarcastic manner)

1. Good news is not news..and thus never makes the news

2. Paranoia and fear spred like wildfire. "Today the terror alert was raised to 'Mother Pearl'"

John q: OMFG is was raised...we're all gonna f'ing die...must eliminate people who look at me funny...quick abdul over there sneezed...LET GIT'EM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Dont forget Oprah and Dr Phil
    I appreciate your constant commentary and lack of substance in the form of heavily spun one-liners!

To take your sarcasm seriously for a moment:

Oprah is on talk radio?

Either way, it would be foolish to lump either of them into the political spectrum.
    None of it is news...it's entertainment. Who's kidding whom.

I can kind of appreciate this, but what is/are your choice source(s) for global/local events in light of brushing off all television and radio as entertainment?
    Remove thy stick from your bung, and develop a sense of humor...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    I appreciate your constant commentary and lack of substance in the form of heavily spun one-liners!

To take your sarcasm seriously for a moment:

Oprah is on talk radio?

Either way, it would be foolish to lump either of them into the political spectrum.
    It is foolish to call Franken, Limbaugh, Dennis Miller or any of them "The Media".

I would say that Oprah probably has more impact than you would ever imagine. Interesting how she can mention a book on her show and the next week it's #1 on the NYT's Best Sellers list.

Sorry you dont seem to have the same level of sophistication as most posters here.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Definately biased.
    I can kind of appreciate this, but what is/are your choice source(s) for global/local events in light of brushing off all television and radio as entertainment?
    http://news.google.com/

It's updated continuously and gives every viewpoint from Aljazeera to Xinhua
    I hope you wouldn't criticize a conservative who enjoys watching a conservative news channel. Doubt they'll take your advice on the name change. I'd make a suggestion that CNN change to LNN, Liberal News Network. Rag on fox, they are the number one American cable news network. Look at the ratings. As much as liberals want to discredit Foxnews, they just keep steamrolling it's competitors. Face it libs, there are more of us than you. You need a common idea, enough bashing.

I'm not criticizing you for enjoying Fox at all. I'm just critical of their approach to programming. Should be called, "Fox Commentary Channel".
    Ranting, conspiracy theory and jokes aside, the left needs a legitimate leader, a man or woman of action. The left needs to be a realistic and proud force in defense of freedom. Thus the old cliché is true: With (democratic) freedom comes responsibility. It's time to stop whining and joking, because this is serious. Howard Dean speaks for Me
    Isn't it ironic that the left for years have been saying that conservatives monkey see, monkey do with the opinions of Rush, Hannity and the ilk, now the libs are like a cattle call to their hero Howard Dean. Howard Dean as the DNC chairman explains everything you need to know with what's going on in the Democrat Party. It is a disaster.

Howard Dean speaks for Me
  11.    #51  
    Thus talk radio has been a boon for hammering Conservative messages in the past several years. Franken is among few that are trying to balance the scale.
    For the life of me I cannot find a report I read about 5 months ago concerning talk radio and what has been successful and what have been challenges. It showed that yes...a vast majority of radio talk shows that have made it past the first year are leaned to the right or at least mod conservative. But is also showed the shows that failed in their first year due to such low ratings, and the VAST majority of these (it was seperated out into basic platform format ie, self help car, home improvement, gossup, tech related, political, etc...) were that were politically based were from the Left were the ones in the majority that failed. Al Franken is by far NOT among the first to try to have a successful left radio talk show. Due to the low ratings of the left winged radio talk shows, they could not pull in the advertising money to keep the shows going.

That being said, there are exceptions to this rule. For example Sirius Radio has a channel dedicated to Left wing talk show hosts.

My question would be why would this be? It is not for lack of trying get Left radio talk shows on the air. I seriously doubt that more right leaning people drive to work than left leaning people. Both listeners have equal opportunity to listen and choose what show they want to listen to.

Again, this is not opinion just summarizing a media industry study on 1 year mark of success for talk radio.
    It is foolish to call Franken, Limbaugh, Dennis Miller or any of them "The Media".

I would say that Oprah probably has more impact than you would ever imagine. Interesting how she can mention a book on her show and the next week it's #1 on the NYT's Best Sellers list.

Sorry you dont seem to have the same level of sophistication as most posters here.
    You misunderstand. My words about talk radio serving as news or media came directly from HobbesIsReal's USA today quote several posts back.

I wasn't discounting Oprah's influence. She is an accomplished and powerful woman. She just doesn't have a politics heavy/ commentary oriented radio show. Different medium and different approach.

If sophistication is spouting unsubstantial straw-man arguments and cheap insults from the Malkin/Coulter playbook, I'll pass.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    If sophistication is spouting unsubstantial straw-man arguments and cheap insults from the Malkin/Coulter playbook, I'll pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I hope you wouldn't criticize a conservative who enjoys watching a conservative news channel. Doubt they'll take your advice on the name change. I'd make a suggestion that CNN change to LNN, Liberal News Network. Rag on fox, they are the number one American cable news network. Look at the ratings. As much as liberals want to discredit Foxnews, they just keep steamrolling it's competitors. Face it libs, there are more of us than you. You need a common idea, enough bashing.

I hear lots of whining about the "spectre" of the liberal media, but never notable examples. Columnists are one thing, reporting is another.

In my previous post, I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was making a personal attack. Just the same, qualifying Fox's credibility with ratings numbers is the kind of scrutiny one would lend to "Friends" or "American Idol". I'm not saying ratings don't matter, but that's not how I would choose my news sources. I indicated a problem first and foremost with how Fox delivers "news", that I would maintain regardless of their political leanings. FWIW, I try to glean news from many sources. I don't have a favorite, but I'll tell you it's not the Washington Times.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    For the life of me I cannot find a report I read about 5 months ago concerning talk radio and what has been successful and what have been challenges. It showed that yes...a vast majority of radio talk shows that have made it past the first year are leaned to the right or at least mod conservative. But is also showed the shows that failed in their first year due to such low ratings, and the VAST majority of these (it was seperated out into basic platform format ie, self help car, home improvement, gossup, tech related, political, etc...) were that were politically based were from the Left were the ones in the majority that failed. Al Franken is by far NOT among the first to try to have a successful left radio talk show. Due to the low ratings of the left winged radio talk shows, they could not pull in the advertising money to keep the shows going.

That being said, there are exceptions to this rule. For example Sirius Radio has a channel dedicated to Left wing talk show hosts.

My question would be why would this be? It is not for lack of trying get Left radio talk shows on the air. I seriously doubt that more right leaning people drive to work than left leaning people. Both listeners have equal opportunity to listen and choose what show they want to listen to.

Again, this is not opinion just summarizing a media industry study on 1 year mark of success for talk radio.

Good post and good question. To answer this, one would probably look to demographics, but it's a slippery slope (oft used cliche') before you start making gross generalizations. People develop patterns in how they pursue anything, much less news and information, and 're-training' them to look for something similar in a different place is a process. It's not a rule of thumb, but you could probably point to technology. In tech rich cities, which tend to lean left, the internet is a prime source for info as well as TV, so reminding these folks that there is still radio out there for them that is not a clone rock station or a Rush Limbaugh talk show takes some trying. And in rural areas, radio never went away, people are typically less tech savvy and have less access to high speed internet, so radio was an excellent way to build an audience and reach these people. This isn't a hard and fast archetype, but again, just taking a crack at demographics seems to be the place to start IMO.
  16.    #56  
    It's not a rule of thumb, but you could probably point to technology. In tech rich cities, which tend to lean left, the internet is a prime source for info as well as TV, so reminding these folks that there is still radio out there for them that is not a clone rock station or a Rush Limbaugh talk show takes some trying. And in rural areas, radio never went away, people are typically less tech savvy and have less access to high speed internet, so radio was an excellent way to build an audience and reach these people.
    So do more left leaners browse the internet while driving? That was the point that I was making as I failed to mention that the study also pointed that most talk radio is listened to in the car and only in the car by vast majority of listeners.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    So do more left leaners browse the internet while driving? That was the point that I was making as I failed to mention that the study also pointed that most talk radio is listened to in the car and only in the car by vast majority of listeners.
    Ha Ha! So your study illustrated that? Hmmm. Absolutely they browse the internet! J/K. iPods? I'd chalk it up to awareness. How many left leaning radio hosts are a part of mainstream cultural literacy? I suppose with satellite becoming more commonplace in the next few years, things may even out a bit.

Of course in seriousness, if I'm not using the iPod, I probably listen to sports (R.I.P. NHL) or public radio, b/c there is not only world news, but discussion about local issues, and some culture (not Entertainment Tonight pop culture, mind you) sewn in there. It depends on where you are. In Richmond, VA, the programming for public radio was bland as all get out. In DC where I live now, there are several choices, and invigorating discussion about all kinds of issues in addition to just politics.
    Ranting, conspiracy theory and jokes aside, the left needs a legitimate leader, a man or woman of action.
    This is very true...although I want someone to think first before proceeding with action.

The left needs to be a realistic and proud force in defense of freedom.
    If youre talking about ALL of the left, then how are they not proud? I agree that they may not be realistic (the ones that support immediately pulling out of Iraq).

Thus the old cliché is true: With (democratic) freedom comes responsibility.
    It does, I agree. I just dont think its all on the U.S. to secure the freedom especially when our domestic issues seem to be completely ignored.

It's time to stop whining and joking, because this is serious. Howard Dean speaks for Me
    (I knew you were sending money to the DNC all because Dean came aboard)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    This is very true...although I want someone to think first before proceeding with action.

If youre talking about ALL of the left, then how are they not proud? I agree that they may not be realistic (the ones that support immediately pulling out of Iraq).

It does, I agree. I just dont think its all on the U.S. to secure the freedom especially when our domestic issues seem to be completely ignored.

(I knew you were sending money to the DNC all because Dean came aboard)
    What...is this something they taught you in night school about deconstruction. Give it a rest...sheeze
    What...is this something they taught you in night school about deconstruction. Give it a rest...sheeze
    I am not trying to annoy you or anyone else...however

Is it the attempt to understand and at times agree/disagree with what you say that is offending you...

OR

that you don't want to debate what you say (so you give me the Sheeze or Oh Pleez statements)? Remember, you choose to respond. You're the only person who has apparently taken issue with it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast