Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    L-3 Wins Iraq Support Deal

http://www.thestreet.com/_tscrss/sto.../10232157.html

Army contract for support work in Iraq.

The two-year deal comes with two options years and could be worth as much as $427 million if all options are exercised, the New York-based defense contractor said Wednesday.

"We are very proud to have been selected to support our warfighters in Iraq," said Joseph Saponaro, president of the company's Chantilly, Va., government services unit. "This award reflects the U.S. Intelligence Community's continued confidence in L-3 Communications' ability to solve its complex problems and challenges."
    Pentagon says key Zarqawi operative caught in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...a_capture_dc_4

Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the PBS program "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer" that Monday's capture of Abu Abd Al-Aziz, whom he called Zarqawi's "main leader in Baghdad," was "going to hurt that operation of Zarqawi's pretty significantly." Myers said Al-Aziz was picked up "on the battlefield," but provided no other details.

A defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, added, "When you look at the picture of the Zarqawi network of the different elements that are known to exist, he's the second-in-command of the Baghdad element and has the reputation of being the 'emir of Baghdad' for Zarqawi."

The official said American forces were involved in the operation that snared Al-Aziz, but was unable to say whether Iraqi government forces played a role.

Al Qaeda Organization for Holy War in Iraq, led by the Jordanian-born Zarqawi, has carried out some of the deadliest attacks against U.S. forces, the Iraqi government and Shi'ite Muslims in Iraq as part of a tenacious insurgency.
    Australia deploys troops to Afghanistan, stays put in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050713...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Australia has now joined the United States and NATO in announcing new troops for Afghanistan, where violence has spiked in recent months and left about 600 people dead.

Howard is a close ally of the United States, which said Monday it would send up to 700 extra troops to bolster the 18,000-strong military coalition in Afghanistan ahead of the elections.

NATO announced it would deploy an additional 2,000 troops during the election period to join the 8,000 soldiers already in the country under the banner of the International Security Assistance Force.

"We think it's important that the progress made in Afghanistan is preserved and consolidated, that the resurgence of violence and the resurgence of attempts by the Taliban to undermine the government of that country are not successful," Howard said.

"There is direct Australian national interest in ensuring the success of the struggle against the remnants of the former Taliban regime and al-Qaeda," Beazley said.
    GI Gives Mom Kidney Before Going to Iraq

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162237,00.html

Army Pfc. Danielle Carpenter (search) didn't want to let down her fellow soldiers. She also couldn't turn her back on her ailing mother, in desperate need of a kidney transplant.

So before she was deployed to the war in Iraq, Carpenter, 20, gave her left kidney to her mother during a March 25 operation.

"I think it's kind of funny, the way people react when they hear what I've done," she said. "The way I see it, if it was your mom, you would do it without thinking it was remarkable or honorable at all."

Her mother feels otherwise.

"Words cannot describe it. She is just a fantastic child," said Diane Brogger, 54, whose health is improving.
    Shiites bring rigid piety to Iraq's south

"By Steven Vincent | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor
    BASRA, IRAQ – In Basra these days, it's not uncommon to see armed men from Shiite religious groups standing at the gates of Basra University, scrutinizing female students to make sure their dresses are the right length and their makeup properly modest.

Any woman violating their standards of Muslim dignity, relates Henan, a psychology student, is ordered home. "These religious militiamen tell us how to dress, and prevent us from listening to music in public or interacting with male students," she says. "It makes me burn inside."...."
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NEWS RELEASE
    HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES CENTRAL COMMAND
    7115 South Boundary Boulevard
    MacDill AFB, Fla. 33621-5101
    Phone: (813) 827-5894; FAX: (813) 827-2211; DSN 651-5894

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 15, 2005
    Release Number: 05-07-09C

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TWO MARINES KILLED NEAR TREBIL

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq -- Two Marines assigned to Regimental Combat Team 2, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), were killed in action July 14 when their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device while conducting combat operations near Trebil, Iraq.

The names of the deceased are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT THE II MARINE EXPEDITIONARY FORCE PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE AT CEPAOWO@cemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil

http://www.centcom.mil/CENTCOMNews/C...t=20050709.txt
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Two Key Al Qaeda Leaders Captured In Iraq

Multi-National Forces captured two key Al Qaeda leaders while conducting a series of raids in Baghdad, military officials said Thursday.

Troops rounded up more than 30 suspected terrorists during the raids, officials said, including Abdulla Ibrahim Muhammed Hassan al Shadad, or Abu Abdul Aziz and Khamis Farhan Khalaf Abd al Fahdawi, or Abu Seba. Aziz, who military officials say are “close confidants” to terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

“Seba served as a senior lieutenant of Al Qaeda in Iraq,” the military said in a prepared releasea, “and is suspected in attacks against diplomats of Bahrain, Pakistan and the recent murder of Egyptian envoy, Ihab Salah al Din Ahmad al Sharif.”

“Al Qaida ordered the attacks against Arab diplomats in an effort to reduce support for the government of Iraq,” a military spokesman said.

-snip-

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/1694922.html
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Two Key Al Qaeda Leaders Captured In Iraq
    I may have to print this. Perhaps the first "positive" story about Iraq that I've ever seen you mention.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    drum drum drum . . . . .
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I may have to print this. Perhaps the first "positive" story about Iraq that I've ever seen you mention.
    Oh come on, what about this post http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...87&postcount=3
    Oh My!! I have just soiled myself!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    drum drum drum. . . .
    VIDEO OF ATTACK HERE---AMAZING! WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE!

mms://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/atpco/071505sniper.wmv

Media Release
    256th Brigade Combat Team
    Camp Tigerland
    Baghdad, Iraq
    APO, AE 09326
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 5, 2005
    RELEASE 20050705-01
    256th BCT Soldier survives sniper attack
    Spc. Chris Foster
    256th Brigade Combat Team PAO
    BAGHDAD -- Being able to react to and maintain control of a situation in a
    combat environment can be a difficult task for Soldiers. They must be able to
    quickly react and assess a situation, in order to ensure their survival and the
    safety of those around them.
    “Stay alert, stay alive” is the reminder that is driven into the minds of
    Soldiers since the first day of basic training and echoes throughout their military
    careers.
    This axiom was driven home for at least one Soldier on June 2.
    Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a native of Mendon, N.Y., and a medic with E
    Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry
    Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was shot in the
    chest by an enemy sniper, during a routine patrol in west Baghdad.
    While Tschiderer was relaying information to the truck commander of his
    M114 Humvee, an enemy sniper team prepared to engage him from inside of a
    cushioned silver van being used as a mobile sniper’s nest. This nest was lined
    with numerous bed mattresses to muffle the sound of a Dragonoff sniper rifle
    fired through a hole just big enough for the shooter to engage his target of
    choice.
    Tschiderer was knocked to the ground from the sudden impact of the
    sniper’s bullet. The bullet only seemed to have fazed this Soldier as, adrenaline
    pumping, he sprang right back up in order to take cover and locate the enemy’s
    position.
    The sniper was unsuccessful in his mission, due to the stopping force of
    the Tschiderer’s daily wardrobe, his protective body armor, which saved his life.
    “I knew I was hit, but was uncertain of the damage or location from the
    hit,” Tschiderer said. “The only thing that was going through my mind was to take
    cover and locate the sniper’s position.”
    “The shot came from my 12 o’clock position from a silver van parked
    across an intersection about 75 meters from my location.” said Tschiderer.
    After Tschiderer alerted his fellow Soldiers of the enemy location, they
    immediately began to pursue the terrorists.
    Due to his heroic actions and quick decisions, Tschiderer located the
    enemy while he took cover and alerted the rest of his team on patrol. As the
    Saber team engaged and disabled the sniper’s position, two terrorists fled on
    foot, leaving a blood trail that came from the wounds of the enemy sniper.
    A cordon and search was immediately set up and Tschiderer assisted his
    team in the search of the two terrorists. The driver of the silver vehicle was
    detained by a team from B Co. 3-156th Inf. Bn. while Tschiderer and a team from
    B Company, 4th Battalion, 1st Iraqi Army Brigade, continued to follow the blood
    trail which led them to the yard where the wounded sniper lay in pain.
    As Tschiderer secured the terrorist with a pair of handcuffs, he gave
    medical aid to the wounded terrorist—the same one who’d tried to take his life.
    -30-
    BAGHDAD -- Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a native of Mendon, N.Y., and a medic
    with E Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th
    Infantry Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was shot
    in the chest by an enemy sniper, during a routine patrol in west Baghdad.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 07/15/2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: WARNING: VIOLENCE (But the Good Guy is OK!)
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    VIDEO OF ATTACK HERE---AMAZING! WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE!

mms://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/atpco/071505sniper.wmv

Media Release
    256th Brigade Combat Team
    Camp Tigerland
    Baghdad, Iraq
    APO, AE 09326
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 5, 2005
    RELEASE 20050705-01
    256th BCT Soldier survives sniper attack
    Spc. Chris Foster
    256th Brigade Combat Team PAO
    BAGHDAD -- Being able to react to and maintain control of a situation in a
    combat environment can be a difficult task for Soldiers. They must be able to
    quickly react and assess a situation, in order to ensure their survival and the
    safety of those around them.
    “Stay alert, stay alive” is the reminder that is driven into the minds of
    Soldiers since the first day of basic training and echoes throughout their military
    careers.
    This axiom was driven home for at least one Soldier on June 2.
    Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a native of Mendon, N.Y., and a medic with E
    Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry
    Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was shot in the
    chest by an enemy sniper, during a routine patrol in west Baghdad.
    While Tschiderer was relaying information to the truck commander of his
    M114 Humvee, an enemy sniper team prepared to engage him from inside of a
    cushioned silver van being used as a mobile sniper’s nest. This nest was lined
    with numerous bed mattresses to muffle the sound of a Dragonoff sniper rifle
    fired through a hole just big enough for the shooter to engage his target of
    choice.
    Tschiderer was knocked to the ground from the sudden impact of the
    sniper’s bullet. The bullet only seemed to have fazed this Soldier as, adrenaline
    pumping, he sprang right back up in order to take cover and locate the enemy’s
    position.
    The sniper was unsuccessful in his mission, due to the stopping force of
    the Tschiderer’s daily wardrobe, his protective body armor, which saved his life.
    “I knew I was hit, but was uncertain of the damage or location from the
    hit,” Tschiderer said. “The only thing that was going through my mind was to take
    cover and locate the sniper’s position.”
    “The shot came from my 12 o’clock position from a silver van parked
    across an intersection about 75 meters from my location.” said Tschiderer.
    After Tschiderer alerted his fellow Soldiers of the enemy location, they
    immediately began to pursue the terrorists.
    Due to his heroic actions and quick decisions, Tschiderer located the
    enemy while he took cover and alerted the rest of his team on patrol. As the
    Saber team engaged and disabled the sniper’s position, two terrorists fled on
    foot, leaving a blood trail that came from the wounds of the enemy sniper.
    A cordon and search was immediately set up and Tschiderer assisted his
    team in the search of the two terrorists. The driver of the silver vehicle was
    detained by a team from B Co. 3-156th Inf. Bn. while Tschiderer and a team from
    B Company, 4th Battalion, 1st Iraqi Army Brigade, continued to follow the blood
    trail which led them to the yard where the wounded sniper lay in pain.
    As Tschiderer secured the terrorist with a pair of handcuffs, he gave
    medical aid to the wounded terrorist—the same one who’d tried to take his life.
    -30-
    Very interesting. I just wish the damn insurgent would have left his camera running so we could see the WHOLE thing go down. I would have liked to have seen the BT rattling the van.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    July 18, 2005

Weekend of slaughter propels Iraq towards all-out civil war
    From James Hider in Baghdad

IRAQ is slipping into all-out civil war, a Shia leader declared yesterday, as a devastating onslaught of suicide bombers slaughtered more than 150 people, most of them Shias, around the capital at the weekend.

One bomber killed almost 100 people when he blew up a fuel tanker south of Baghdad, an attack aimed at snapping Shia patience and triggering the full-blown sectarian war that al-Qaeda has been trying to forment for almost two years.

Iraq’s security forces have been overwhelmed by the scale of the suicide bombings — 11 on Friday alone and many more over the weekend — ordered by the Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Sheikh al-Sagheer is close to Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the supreme Shia spiritual leader and moderate who has so far managed to restrain powerful Shia militias from undertaking any outright attack on Sunni insurgents. His warning suggests that the Shia leadership may be losing their grip over Shias who in private often call for an armed backlash against their Sunni assailants.

-snip-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...698308,00.html
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Studies: Most foreign fighters didn't wage terror before Iraq war
    Boston Globe

WASHINGTON - New investigations by the Saudi Arabian government and an Israeli think tank — both of which painstakingly analyzed the backgrounds and motivations of hundreds of foreigners entering Iraq to fight the United States — have found that the vast majority of them are not former terrorists and became radicalized by the war.

The studies cast serious doubt on President Bush's claim that those responsible for some of the worst violence are terrorists who seized on the opportunity to make Iraq the "central front" in a battle against the United States.

"The terrorists know that the outcome in Iraq will leave them emboldened or defeated," Bush said in a nationally televised address last month. "So they are waging a campaign of murder and destruction."

However, interrogations of nearly 300 Saudis captured trying to sneak into Iraq and case studies of more than three dozen others who blew themselves up in suicide attacks show that most were heeding calls to drive infidels out of Arab land, according to a study by Saudi investigator Nawaf Obaid.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/world/3269420
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I wanted to bring this guys name out cause I think we are going to hear a little more about him in the coming days. (Saddam's Trial)

Ahmed Abdel Hadi Chalabi1 (Arabic: احمد الجلبي) (born October 30, 1944) is the interim minister for oil and a deputy prime minister in Iraq, as of April 28, 2005 [1].

He is also part of a three-man executive council for the umbrella Iraqi opposition group, the Iraqi National Congress (INC), created in 1992 for the purpose of fomenting the overthrow of Iraqi president Saddam Hussein. The INC received major funding and assistance from the United States.

Chalabi is a highly controversial figure for many reasons. In the lead-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, under his guidance the INC provided a major portion of the information on which U.S. Intelligence based its condemnation of Saddam Hussein, including reports of weapons of mass destruction and alleged ties to al-Qaeda. Much of this information has turned out to be false, and led to a recent falling out between him and the United States. Initially, Chalabi enjoyed a cozy political and business relationships with some members of the US government, including some prominent neoconservatives within the Pentagon. Chalabi is said to have had political contacts within the PNAC, most notably with Paul Wolfowitz, a student of nuclear strategist Albert Wohlstetter and Richard Perle who was introduced to Chalabi by Wohlstetter in 1985. He also enjoyed considerable support among politicians and political pundits in the United States, most notably Jim Hoagland of The Washington Post, who held him up as a notable force for democracy in Iraq. Chalabi's opponents, on the other hand see him as a charlatan of questionable allegiance, out of touch with Iraq and with no effective power base there, and an escrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Chalabi

Just look at all the cooperation that is in the news. I would think that he is the one that is playing a leading role in these cases. I say this because he was the guy that got caught spying(passing intelligence) for Iran. The whole relationship kinda makes me wonder. Although it does seem like they(Iran) are truly trying to help, I just can't figure out why.
    Last edited by NRG; 07/17/2005 at 09:39 PM.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yikes!!

U.S. reportedly tried to influence Iraq vote
    Article contradicts White House claim that covert assistance was called off

Updated: 6:27 p.m. ET July 17, 2005
    WASHINGTON - The Bush administration proceeded last year over congressional objections with a covert plan to try to influence Iraqi elections in January, the New Yorker magazine reported, citing unnamed current and former officials.

The article, by award-winning journalist Seymour Hersh, said “the methods and the scope of the covert effort have been hard to discern,” and the report offered few details.

These activities were kept, in part, “off the books,” and were conducted by retired CIA officers and other non-government personnel, and “used funds that were not necessarily appropriated by Congress,” Hersh reported.

Sources: Plans changed after Bush’s re-election
    The magazine cited unidentified past and present intelligence and military officials as saying the administration decided “sometime after” Bush’s re-election to override congressional opposition and covertly intervene in the elections.

Bush has touted the elections as a post-invasion success, and any secret effort to influence the outcome could undercut U.S. assertions that the vote was free and fair.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8608425/
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NEWS RELEASE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 18, 2005
    Release Number: 05-07-10C

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SOLDIER KILLED BY VBIED NEAR ISKANDARIYAH

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq -- A Soldier assigned to the 155th Brigade Combat Team, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), died July 16 of wounds received July 15 from a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device.

The incident occurred during combat operations near Iskandariyah.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT THE II MARINE EXPEDITIONARY FORCE PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE AT CEPAOWO@cemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil

http://www.centcom.mil/CENTCOMNews/C...t=20050710.txt
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NEWS RELEASE

July 18, 2005
    Release Number: 05-07-11C

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ONE TASK FORCE LIBERTY SOLDIER KILLED BY IED NEAR BALAD

TIKRIT, Iraq -- One Task Force Liberty Soldier was killed by an improvised explosive device at about 10 a.m. July 17 near Balad in Salah Ad Din Province.

Two Soldiers were wounded and taken to a Coalition Forces medical treatment facility.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

For more information, please contact 42nd ID PAO at fortysecond.id.pao@us.army.mil

http://www.centcom.mil/CENTCOMNews/C...t=20050711.txt
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast