Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Holy crap. Do you really believe this? That's called patriotic hindsight. It's not as good as 20/20.
    Yes I believe that the statements, conduct, and demeanor of politicians at home during a time our military is deployed and is in active combat against an enemy has a varying amount of impact on our success or failure in any given campaign.

If you read the article in it's entirety it pointed out good constructive criticism from Dems and destructive criticism from both Dem and Rep.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/28/2005 at 04:38 PM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I haven't written one, I know it first hand. I am a bit disgusted right now, allow me to go puke....

HAVE YOU BEEN THERE????
    Go puke, then when you come back show me an article.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Go puke, then when you come back show me an article.
    Whatever. I keep telling myself not to get drawn into these off topic threads, as I think it is pretty lame to discuss politics on a Treo board, but none the less, I like many have been drawn into this and a few other threads.

I will not any further as I don't see it as anything I want to be a part of....

I will leave (the off topic, political threads) knowing that I am doing my part, via my job, daily to make the world a better place. I don't merely talk politics, I act, have acted and will continue to act positively, contributing to what I see as a greater good.

Talk on talkers, we doers are doing so that you may talk....

Just this Sgt's opinion. I wish you the best.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Whatever. I keep telling myself not to get drawn into these off topic threads, as I think it is pretty lame to discuss politics on a Treo board, but none the less, I like many have been drawn into this and a few other threads.

I will leave (the off topic, political threads) knowing that I am doing my part, via my job, daily to make the world a better place. I don't merely talk politics, I act, have acted and will continue to act positively, contributing to what I see as a greater good.

You keep fixin' those planes so they fly right for the pilots, Sarge. They depend on you.

I will be waiting for that article from you in the meantime.
    You keep fixin' those planes so they fly right for the pilots, Sarge. They depend on you.

I will be waiting for that article from you in the meantime.
    You're starting to sound like the snot from the 7-11 again. I dont think that tone is necessary. What he has to say is certainly as valid as anything you post.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You're starting to sound like the snot from the 7-11 again. I dont think that tone is necessary. What he has to say is certainly as valid as anything you post.
    Woman!! If it's not to be found on CNN.com, it ain't true!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Claire, he is a USAF aircraft mechanic. His pilots depend on him that their aircraft will be airworthy when they need it. I am a pilot myself and I know how much a pilot must depend on their mechanic. The mechanic is who cradles the aviators lives in their hands.

Not to mention this thread was started for 'credible' news postings.
    Claire, he is a USAF aircraft mechanic. His pilots depend on him that their aircraft will be airworthy when they need it. I am a pilot myself and I know how much a pilot must depend on their mechanic. The mechanic is who cradles the aviators lives in their hands.
    K...thanks for sayin' that
    His MOS is irrelevant to the discussion. His experience with this topic is what matters.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    His MOS is irrelevant to the discussion. His experience with this topic is what matters.
    All I want is news clippings supporting viewpoints help by posters.

The holier than thou "talkers" bit makes me question your story a bit, however, other people also contribute to the world as well. Military personel do not have an excusive market in this area.
    The Kennedy Plan

The holier than thou "talkers" bit makes me question your story a bit, however, other people also contribute to the world as well. Military personel do not have an excusive market in this area.
    Ugghhh, this is like a car crash for me...

A bit holier then thou, I do agree. I was thinking that when I posted it. My apoligies if it seemed smarmy, or made you doubt the veracity of my post.

The fact remains, my service to my country and the service I perfomed (and continue to perform) gives me a point of view that is quite first hand. A fact that is frustrating in the face of some posters stance based on the media.

And, anyone in the military knows that although I am a mechanic by trade, I hold multiple jobs and quite often am a janitor, but at times have fed the hungry, provided comfort for the displaced, and helped rid the world of bad people.

I am proud of my service. I felt compelled to say it. I regret seeming holier then thou....

What do you do DAThomas? Have you dropped beans and rice, delivered medical aid, or evac'd refugees? Or have you just placed banner ads in your posts, blathered on about politics on forums and made contributions to politicians you supported?

The fact remains, arrogant or not I live by my convictions and I am proud of it. My disdain for those that talk a lot and do a little sometimes shows though as self-rightousness, a by product of my pride...again, my apoligies...

Cheers
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    I am proud of my service. I felt compelled to say it. I regret seeming holier then thou....
    Don't regret it. It's those like us that served, so that others can be pompous asses.

What do you do DAThomas? Have you dropped beans and rice, delivered medical aid, or evac'd refugees? Or have you just placed banner ads in your posts, blathered on about politics on forums and made contributions to politicians you supported?
    Ask Howard Dean...he speaks for daThomas...

mattyparanoid and Insertion - thank you for your service, it is valued by many.
    I am currently a web developer. Prior to that I worked in mental health.

It's simply not fair to say that because someone is not directly involved in the situation they can not have a well informed opinion of the situation. Same goes for being there. One can be there and have a very limited scope of what's going on.

I appreciate all that those who chose to serve are doing regardless of whether I disagree with this administration.
    I am currently a web developer. Prior to that I worked in mental health.

It's simply not fair to say that because someone is not directly involved in the situation they can not have a well informed opinion of the situation. Same goes for being there. One can be there and have a very limited scope of what's going on.

I appreciate all that those who chose to serve are doing regardless of whether I disagree with this administration.
    It was more a figurative question as in what do you do in regards to your feelings about the world situation, not so much a literal one as in what do you do for a living, sorry that wasn't clear.

(I guess I should edit my post about leaving the off-topics...hehe, I would like to put a more positive spin on my part though...)

I think it is pretty fair estimation to say that someone not directly involved probably will not have a well informed opinion of a situation. Would you trust a doctor for a second opinion on a life threatening illness via a telephone consult?

Further, ask any military person who has been to Bosnia, Afghanistan or Iraq if they had a limited scope on the situation there, I doubt they will say they got a limited feel for it, just my two cents. I really do get your point. I have been on deployments with some people that would not venture out and explore, thus they couldn't tell you one thing about the country we were in...

Further still, I do not feel that one cannot have an opinion just because they haven't been there, despite how it may seem by my posts. As such, I have an opinion about peoples opinions, and we know what that is...

In contrast, I see it that your point about having a well informed opinion despite not having been there is the exception rather then the rule, and basically, as a general rule, in most circumstances, in most situations, one gains immensely from first hand experience and as a result of that experience can come to a truly well-informed opinion. Thats why we have fact finding missions, commissions, councils, committees, consultants, etc...

You are fervent, I appreciate that. I am too. You should use your energy to further your cause, its the american way!

treo2die4 - Thanks! I appreciate that.

Insertion - Yup, I joined up to insure that we all can have our say...I just don't want my say to make me seem like a punk....Cheers

I hope that was a less self-rightous, negative post...Thats how I want to be.
    Iraqi Leader: 2 Years Enough for Security

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050627/...ritain_iraq_14

Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari said Monday that two years would be "more than enough" to establish security in his country.

Following talks with British Prime Minister Tony Blair, al-Jaafari said factors such as building up Iraq's own security forces, controlling its porous borders and pushing ahead with the political process would all play a part.

"I think two years will be enough, and more than enough, to establish security in our country," al-Jaafari told a news conference.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    War injured toll soars, hits veterans health costs
    Tue Jun 28, 4:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As the numbers of U.S. war injured in Iraq and Afghanistan soared, the Bush administration admitted to lawmakers on Tuesday it had underestimated funds to cover health care costs for veterans and Congress would have to plug a $2.6 billion hole.

"The bottom line is there is a surge in demand in VA (health) services across the board," said Veterans Affairs Secretary James Nicholson.

The Veterans Administration assumed it would have to take care of 23,553 patients who are veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but that number had been revised upward to 103,000, Nicholson told a House of Representatives panel.

-snip-

The updated figures underscored how the costs of the Iraq war, approaching $300 billion, were rippling through other parts of a federal budget already under tight spending limits.
    This is from the first post on this thread. nrg you expect no opinions yet you let yours be known in the same paragraph.

My favorite articles involve where the liberal media has to print that multiple insurgents have been killed. I love to hear that 150 were killed in Western Iraq last week. Or when a 'mujadeen hero' accidently triggers his suicide vest prior to him murdering women and children. I really love it when one of our soldiers put a bullet between the eyes when a suicide driver is trying to kill at a checkpoint.

I feel this is a just war. UN put at least three major measures for Iraq to abide by. USA helped the legitimacy of the UN and followed through with the idle threat of the UN. Thank God for conservatives or we would of had multiple 911's by now.

I guess I will start since I feel this is an unjust war. Again no opinions are to be expressed here, just news articles that support your stance on this dividing issue.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast