Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Negativism at Home Could Produce Defeat Of U.S. Policy in Iraq

Link

It's one thing for a Democrat like Sen. Joseph Biden (Del.) to harshly criticize the way the Bush administration is conducting the war and then recommend constructive steps for winning it........

But what Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) have done with their "quagmire" and "grotesque mistake" talk is to declare that the war is, in effect, a lost cause.

The closest Kennedy comes to a positive suggestion is to call for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to resign. Then what?

Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) are demanding that President Bush come up with a new strategy, but they are offering none of their own.
    I would include the one Rep opposition as well, but I stuck to 4 paragaphs.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Negativism at Home Could Produce Defeat Of U.S. Policy in Iraq

Link

I would include the one Rep opposition as well, but I stuck to 4 paragaphs.
    Thanks for keeping it down to 4. Please no opinion pieces.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Suicide bomber kills dean of Iraq parliament

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Iraq's oldest member of parliament died with his son and three bodyguards in a suicide bombing north of Baghdad, while eight people were killed and almost 30 wounded elsewhere.

Dhari al-Fayadh, 87, and his son were killed whan "a vehicle packed with explosives and driven by a suicide bomber was detonated alongside his two-car convoy in Al-Rashidyah," an interior ministry source said Tuesday.

Chief of the Albuamer, a powerful and predominantly Shiite tribe, Fayadh had presided over the first sessions of Iraq's new parliament before a speaker was elected.

Sheikh Humam Hamudi, head of the parliamentary committee currently drafting a new constitution, told AFP: "Those who killed Sheikh al-Fayadh are criminals trying to destroy the country, and those trying to negotiate with these criminals do so with the enemies of Iraq."

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...q_050628114923
    another predictable thread... (sigh)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    According to a UNICEF report at the end of 2003, more than 3 1/2 million children had been immunized.

School Attendance is up 80%
    Again, according to an April, 2004 report from UNICEF, school attendance in Iraq increased by 60 percent shortly after the war to more than 95 percent during the recent national exam week.

The Port of Uhm Qasar [sic] renovated so grain can be offloaded faster
    In a November, 2003 interview on National Public Radio, Andrew Natsios of the U.S. Agency for International Development said that the port at Umm Qasar, Iraq's largest, is modern and functioning for the first time in 20 years.

All of the hospitals operating
    Because of disrepair and looting, it took a lot of work to get hospitals back up to speed but according to James Haverman, the Coalition Provisional Authority Senior Advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Health, all 240 hospitals in Iraq as well as 2400 primary health care clinics were operating as of December, 2003.

**edited to 4 paragraphs and link provided
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/r/rayreynolds.htm
    Last edited by treo2die4; 06/28/2005 at 02:50 PM.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    You do realize that we are rebuilding, and in many cases, creating, infrastructure that Saddam's henchmen ignored for decades? You don't really think that there was 100% electricity availabilty on his watch, do you? Or aren't you aware that his boys ROUTINELY shut power off to certain areas at certain times, just as a way of keeping them down. Ditto water and medical care. (And I wonder how many Iraqis would prefer power outages to being stuffed feet first down a shredder?) All of this in the face of attacks by FOREIGN fighters and dead ender Baathists.

But of course you know all that. You're just interested in doing your part to ensure that the Great Satan is defeated.
    Show me a news article that shows rebuilding please.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Please no opinion pieces.
    I thought the war at the homefront is VERY much part of any war....it one of the main reasons we lost Vietnam and gave us a tremendous advantage in WWII.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    According to a UNICEF report at the end of 2003, more than 3 1/2 million children had been immunized.

School Attendance is up 80%
    Again, according to an April, 2004 report from UNICEF, school attendance in Iraq increased by 60 percent shortly after the war to more than 95 percent during the recent national exam week.

More than 1,500 schools renovated
    UNICEF says that as of April, 2004, more than 2,500 schools have been renovated with the goal of 4,000 being completed by the end of the year, but 10,000 more need repair.

The Port of Uhm Qasar [sic] renovated so grain can be offloaded faster
    In a November, 2003 interview on National Public Radio, Andrew Natsios of the U.S. Agency for International Development said that the port at Umm Qasar, Iraq's largest, is modern and functioning for the first time in 20 years.

All of the hospitals operating
    Because of disrepair and looting, it took a lot of work to get hospitals back up to speed but according to James Haverman, the Coalition Provisional Authority Senior Advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Health, all 240 hospitals in Iraq as well as 2400 primary health care clinics were operating as of December, 2003.

An interim constitution has been signed
    On March 8, 2004, an interim constitution that defines Iraq as being "federal, democratic and pluralist" was signed by members of the Iraqi Governing Council.

Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs
    Not only are U.S. soldiers demonstrating field sanitation and hand washing, but UNICEF is conducting an active health education program to improve personal hygiene and promote more hand washing.

Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years
    According to published reports, a team of U.S. appointed Iraqi educators combed through more than 500 Iraqi textbooks and removed every mention of Saddam Hussein and the Baath
    party including pictures.
    The texts will probably be revised by the Iraqis at some point in the future, but the pre-war texts were dominated with Saddam Hussein.
    Good stuff! Although it is all from 2003-2004 it is a sign. Also if you got this from an article please cut down to 4 paragraphs and include the source.
    TIA
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    That is a great story. For the people that are too lazy to click here is a snippet:

edit: There is alot of info in this link.

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ Opinion Journal
    Just before noon today, a carpenter named Dhia saw a troop of masked gunmen with grenades coming towards his shop and decided he had had enough.
    As the gunmen emerged from their cars, Dhia and his young relatives shouldered their own AK-47's and opened fire, police and witnesses said. In the fierce gun battle that followed, three of the insurgents were killed, and the rest fled just after the police arrived. Two of Dhia's young nephews and a bystander were injured, the police said.

"We attacked them before they attacked us," Dhia, 35, his face still contorted with rage and excitement, said in a brief exchange at his shop a few hours after the battle. He did not give his last name. "We killed three of those who call themselves the mujahedeen. I am waiting for the rest of them to come and we will show them."
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110006478
    Last edited by NRG; 06/28/2005 at 02:48 PM.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I thought the war at the homefront is VERY much part of any war....it one of the main reasons we lost Vietnam and gave us a tremendous advantage in WWII.
    No, your article is an opinion piece.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    That is a great story. For the people that are too lazy to click here is a snippet:
    I thought so too - I firmly believe much more of this kind of action from the Iraq's is needed before the insurgency can be tamed. What amazes me is the Iraqi people as a whole are not more outraged at the civilian deaths caused by the insurgents......go figure
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    That's touching but there is another side to this. I think it is wonderful what that website is doing.
    No, your article is an opinion piece.
    Believe me I understand that it is an opinion piece. My point being that the war front at home is vital to any military force in the field and anytime in our history. It has lost and won wars for us.....and the warfront at home cannot be anything but opinion related. Regardless that it is opinion it does have a vital impact on the Iraq war.
    Holy crap. Do you really believe this? That's called patriotic hindsight. It's not as good as 20/20.
    Report questions over $1.4B of Halliburton bills

"...In addition, Rory Mayberry, a former KBR food manager at Camp Anaconda in Iraq, testified on videotape from Baghdad that the company charged for twice the number of meals it provided and served food beyond its expiration date. He said managers ordered workers to pick bullets and shrapnel out of food shipments that had been damaged by gunfire or bombings and serve it to troops.

Mayberry said managers threatened to send workers who talked to auditors to more dangerous parts of Iraq."
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Report questions over $1.4B of Halliburton bills

"...In addition, Rory Mayberry, a former KBR food manager at Camp Anaconda in Iraq, testified on videotape from Baghdad that the company charged for twice the number of meals it provided and served food beyond its expiration date. He said managers ordered workers to pick bullets and shrapnel out of food shipments that had been damaged by gunfire or bombings and serve it to troops.

Mayberry said managers threatened to send workers who talked to auditors to more dangerous parts of Iraq."
    More info on Mr. Mayberry here:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...liburton&hl=en
    I am starting this thread so we can get a real feel for what is going on in Iraq. Some folks here think Iraq is going just great and some feel that it is a 'Quagmire' with no near end in sight.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Show me a news article that shows rebuilding please.

I haven't written one, I know it first hand. I am a bit disgusted right now, allow me to go puke....

HAVE YOU BEEN THERE????
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast