Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Why? Assuming you are referring to "taking care of" as MORE than owning the air over the upper and lower thirds of the nation AND a stranglehold on the economy AND weapons inspectors on the ground.

What justifies the need to invade another nation?
    Hey, articles not opinions.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    US failed to plan for post-war Iraq-report

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An independent assessment of the tumult in Iraq led by two top former presidential advisers found the Bush administration had been unprepared for post-war Iraq and had underestimated the number of troops needed in a miscalculation that helped fuel the insurgency.

The report by a Council on Foreign Relations task force, released on Wednesday, concluded that the failure to prepare properly for the period after the war had given "early impetus for the insurgency" now gripping the country.

The task force was headed by two former national security advisers, Democrat Samuel "Sandy" Berger and Republican Brent Scowcroft, and presented a bipartisan critique of the Bush approach.

Scowcroft, national security adviser under President Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush, had warned publicly of the risks of military action in Iraq in the run-up to the 2003 invasion.

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sa_report_dc_1
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Calif. Guard unit probed for abuse (and extortion) in Iraq - paper

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - At least 23 members of a California National Guard battalion serving in Iraq are under investigation for the alleged abuse of Iraqi detainees and for a $30,000 extortion scheme involving promises to protect shopkeepers from insurgents, the Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday.

Citing military officials and unnamed members of the unit, the newspaper said the abuse allegations focused on an incident in which a stun gun was apparently used to torture Iraqi detainees after an insurgent attack in June on a Baghdad area power plant. At least 17 soldiers are under investigation.

The allegations involve members of the 1st Battalion of the 184th Infantry Regiment, which is based outside Baghdad.

The paper quoted California state Guard spokesman Col. David Baldwin as confirming that investigations were underway into reports of extortion and mistreatment but declining to give details.

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...raq_abuse_dc_8
    You guys (T2gungho included...don't want to leave you out again)..sound like a bunch of Michael Moore mockingbirds. If a poor country in Africa were ruled by a dictator cutting up women's private parts, starving his people, dropping weapons of mass destruction on neighboring folks who believe differently than he, torturing thousands....and more and more and more...you would be bleeding hearts to go help those folks....but if Sadam does it...let's turn the other cheek and let it happen. You have two ways of thinking about everything...this way and that way...just like Kerry...which is one reason he lost. On Monday he professed one thing and on Tuesday, it was the opposite. Get over it already. That is your main problem anyway,.you lost again and again and can't stand it. Wake up and look what has happened to your party and beliefs and if you really think you want to change things to be your way, you need to think of a better way to get into the presidents office. Then maybe your next candidate (Hillary (ha ha)) will do something about it. Like I said, the majority voted and voted Mr Bush back into office. Since we live in a country where majority rules, work with it. ...otherwise you look just like the sad losers that you are,,,,whining about everything. MOVE ON.org....whine whine
    I don't have to put up answers to your weak arguments...you already know them.
    the Baer
    the Baer
    Quote Originally Posted by thebaer
    the Baer
    No. Actually given the vast amount of just plain wrong jibberish in your last post, you are unable to answer anyone's arguments.

Do yourself a favor and just wave the party line but don't pretend to even come close to discussing or debating the issue. You are either unable or unwilling.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    You guys (T2gungho included...don't want to leave you out again)..sound like a bunch of Michael Moore mockingbirds. If a poor country in Africa were ruled by a dictator cutting up women's private parts, starving his people, dropping weapons of mass destruction on neighboring folks who believe differently than he, torturing thousands....and more and more and more...you would be bleeding hearts to go help those folks....but if Sadam does it...let's turn the other cheek and let it happen. You have two ways of thinking about everything...this way and that way...just like Kerry...which is one reason he lost. On Monday he professed one thing and on Tuesday, it was the opposite. Get over it already. That is your main problem anyway,.you lost again and again and can't stand it. Wake up and look what has happened to your party and beliefs and if you really think you want to change things to be your way, you need to think of a better way to get into the presidents office. Then maybe your next candidate (Hillary (ha ha)) will do something about it. Like I said, the majority voted and voted Mr Bush back into office. Since we live in a country where majority rules, work with it. ...otherwise you look just like the sad losers that you are,,,,whining about everything. MOVE ON.org....whine whine
    the Baer
    Baer, post an article that either shows good in Iraq or bad or , beat it!!!! Go to another thread for your rants and raves. Search for it, this topic has been discussed at great length in many other threads.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    IRAQ: NEW CONSTITUTION PREVENTS CITIZENSHIP FOR JEWS, SAYS MP

Baghdad, 27 July (AKI) - The first draft of the new Iraqi constitution will prevent Iraqi Jews, stripped of their nationality in the 1940s and 1950s, from re-obtaining it, Mundhir al-Fadl, an Iraqi MP and member of the constituent assembly's constitution commisssion, has told Adnkronos International (AKI). Al-Fadl, one of the commision members responsible for drafting the constitution's chapter on "rights and duties" explained that one paragraph of the draft says that "the Iraqi nationality is a right acquired by every Iraqi, which cannot be withheld for any reason and is the basis of his citizenship."

"All those who have been deprived of their citizenship after 8 February 1963 have the right to recover it, as they have the right to multiple nationality," the draft continues.

However, the parliamentarian, who is part of the Kurdish list, pointed out that this rules out Iraq's Jews, who were forced to emigrate from the country before 8 February 1963, the date of the coup carried out by the Baath party, who overthrew the country's then ruler, Brig Abd-al-Karim Qasim, who had taken power in a military coup almost five years earlier.

"I believe that every Iraqi citizen deprived of their nationality for any reason, political, ethnic or religious, has the right to recover it," al-Fadl told AKI. He added that "this opinion represents the majority, but not all the members [of the constituent assembly], it is contrary to the universal declaration of the rights of man and implies a clear discrimination against men on the basis of their religion," he said, affirming that "the aim of this text is clearly to prevent Iraqi Jews from recovering their Iraqi nationality."

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level.ph...91183114&par=0
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    No. Actually given the vast amount of just plain wrong jibberish in your last post, you are unable to answer anyone's arguments.

Do yourself a favor and just wave the party line but don't pretend to even come close to discussing or debating the issue. You are either unable or unwilling.
    New thread to discuss Iraq and events.
    It won't last, NRG. Whether it be a new poster, or long time poster who loves to hear himself talk, it'll turn into this thread all over again.

Some people, though they throw the illusion of superior intellect out, can't seem to follow basic instructions...

I wish you luck with the Iraq II thread, but I have little hope that this thread will stay on course.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It won't last, NRG. Whether it be a new poster, or long time poster who loves to hear himself talk, it'll turn into this thread all over again.

Some people, though they throw the illusion of superior intellect out, can't seem to follow basic instructions...

I wish you luck with the Iraq II thread, but I have little hope that this thread will stay on course.
    It is like herding cats!!! Thanks though for the support.
    "Meow"

Sorry NRG. I couldn't let a certain someone get away without a reply.

I shall endeavor to respect the point of this thread.
    My above rant was NOT directed at the two posters above...just for clarity.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    "Meow"

Sorry NRG. I couldn't let a certain someone get away without a reply.

I shall endeavor to respect the point of this thread.
    Thanks. Could you believe he/she said EIB network in one of his/her posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baer
    see directions from EIB network on how to work on changing a libs mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Thanks. Could you believe he/she said EIB network in one of his/her posts?

EIB network ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    EIB network ??
    Oxycontin Rush (Limbaugh)
    Last edited by NRG; 07/27/2005 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Muffin Men...

17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Not for you Insertion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Not for you Insertion.
    Two questions...1)who is it for and 2)where is your article?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...537490,00.html

Scale of Iraq insurgency unforeseen, says MoD

Richard Norton-Taylor
    Thursday July 28, 2005
    The Guardian

The government admitted yesterday that it had failed to foresee the scale of potential insurgency in Iraq and that the invasion had left a "strategic vacuum" in the country.
    The admissions were made in the government's official response to a highly critical Commons defence committee report on the handling of post-war operations in Iraq.

However, the Ministry of Defence gave no indication about when British troops might withdraw, restating its commitment to "continue until the job is done". It added: "We will remain in Iraq for as long as the Iraqi government judges that our forces are required to provide security and assist in the development of the Iraqi security forces".

Iraq's prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari, said yesterday that his government wanted to see a speedy withdrawal of US troops. Speaking alongside the US defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who is visiting the country, Mr Jaafari said the time had come to plan a coordinated transition from American to Iraqi military control.

"We do not want to be surprised by a withdrawal that is not in connection with our Iraqi timing," he said.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

no daThomas.......I'm working from experience.....and experience tells me

Never argue with an *****, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with
    experience.

the Baer
    the Baer
    no daThomas.......I'm working from experience.....and experience tells me

Never argue with an *****, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with
    experience.

the Baer

Baer I'm new here myself BTW. Though trash talk and mud sometimes gets thrown around in this forum (usually in good cheer), if you're challenged to support an opinion factually, intellectually -- and you can't -- don't attempt to employ an ad hominem phrase cribbed from rush instead -- you'll risk getting dissed as a punk.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)