Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    New Sadr City Water Treatment Plant Opens

http://www.centcom.mil/CentcomNews/Stories/07_05/32.htm

By U.S. Army Maj. Russell Goemaere 2nd Brigade Combat Team

SADR CITY, Iraq, July 21, 2005 — The first of 27 new compact water treatment units officially opened in Sadr City July 19.

"The compact water units bring needed water to the residents while the expanded water system for Sadr City continues to develop," said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Gary Luck, commander of 3rd Battalion 15th Infantry, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, the coalition unit which works with Sadr City.

"I want to thank the coalition forces for helping to bring this project to completion. The people of Sadr City will benefit from having clean water readily available to them," Sheik Jabar Nashour Jasim

Each water unit produces 15,000 liters of clean potable water a day.

"A total of 405,000 liters per day will be produced once all the of units are installed and operational," said Luck, who is from Salina, Kan.

A compact water unit is a small water treatment facility, using well water or city water as a source of supply. The water is fully treated and ready for drinking.

The program was coordinated with the Ministry of Education and Water, the Amanat and the local city government. Sheik Jabar Nashour Jasim, who is a member of the Sadr City District Advisory Council, took part in the opening ceremony and drank water from the tap along with U.S. Army officials and local residents. Jabar took the opportunity to thank the Army.

"I want to thank the coalition forces for helping to bring this project to completion,” he said through a translator. “The people of Sadr City will benefit from having clean water readily available to them."
    US Army Corps of Engineers rebuild essential services in Fallujah

http://www.centcom.mil/CentcomNews/Stories/07_05/34.htm

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq -- The US Army Corps of Engineers, in partnership with the Fallujah City Council and the Fallujah Reconstruction Committee, has made considerable progress in restoring water, sewage and electrical service in the city of Fallujah to levels that existed prior to Operation New Dawn (Al Fajr) in November 2004.

Elevated water storage tanks have been repaired and water is now at pre-November 2004 levels. Projects are underway to increase the capacity of the current system to modern standards. These projects will upgrade the current capacity of fresh water in the city by three million gallons per day.

The Fallujah Electric Department and the USACE have worked together to bring the level of electrical distribution up to approximately 80% of the existing system’s capacity. They plan to bring the system up to 100% of its pre-November 2004 capacity by December 2005. The existing system is also being brought up to current standards. Every home and business in the city is scheduled to have safe and modern electrical connections by next spring.

A modern sewage collection system is under construction, which will replace the septic tanks currently in use. The system is 80% complete, and will remove waste from 3,100 homes. Construction of a sewage treatment facility is scheduled to start in about two months.

Over the next several months, the USACE will finish construction on a health clinic, four schools, and four 250-man police stations. Construction of a 500 man police station will start later this year.

In February, the US Army Corps of Engineers established an office at Camp Fallujah to oversee reconstruction efforts in Fallujah. Since the office opened, more than $20 million has been dedicated to reconstruction efforts, and an estimated $80 million in work is planned for the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    New Sadr City Water Treatment Plant Opens

http://www.centcom.mil/CentcomNews/Stories/07_05/32.htm

"I want to thank the coalition forces for helping to bring this project to completion. The people of Sadr City will benefit from having clean water readily available to them," Sheik Jabar Nashour Jasim. (...)

"I want to thank the coalition forces for helping to bring this project to completion,” he said through a translator. “The people of Sadr City will benefit from having clean water readily available to them."
    Say, quotes from Iraqis seem to be in short supply theses days, why else would they be recycled and repeated all the time by Centcom?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Repeated quotes all the time from CentCom? Maybe Jabar is simply a man of few words......
    The news media is much more likely to print stories regarding the atrocities of war in Iraq, than they are any progress being made. ...making it much easier to find articles to side with the group believing, as you put it, that it is an unjust war....and a Quagmire. I also find it amusing that you ask for no opinions in this thread, but did find room to put your own opinion
    . It is certainly an unfortunate circumstance for both our country and their country...but recently, it has been stated that there are more terrorists in Iraq than anywhere else in the world. ..with Syria and Suadi Arabia next in line. These countries were all once called Persia and now all harbor terrorism. Since these terrorists all seem to be in related Islamic groups around the globe, and since they have attacked our ships in port, Spain, London, Israel, Tahiti, the United States mainland, and more,,,then I ask....do you think it likely or unlikely..that they will attack our country again...here at home??? Should we pull out and just wait for them to come do their bidding here? or do our best to put an end to this ruthless method of warfare? Can your poll answer this by just posting recent "credible" news articles?
    I have friends and relatives currently in Iraq and a few who have returned home. One young man served two tours in Iraq and one in Afganistan and is now home and serving out his tour in a recruitment offce. His remarks to me were more that the newsreporters that are in Iraq on or near the front lines, are causing more problems and apprehensions among servicemen than the terrorists themselves.
    I have not stated my opinions in this message, but surely you can guess.
    the Baer
    the Baer
    Quote Originally Posted by thebaer
    The news media is much more likely to print stories regarding the atrocities of war in Iraq, than they are any progress being made. ...making it much easier to find articles to side with the group believing, as you put it, that it is an unjust war....and a Quagmire. I also find it amusing that you ask for no opinions in this thread, but did find room to put your own opinion
    . It is certainly an unfortunate circumstance for both our country and their country...but recently, it has been stated that there are more terrorists in Iraq than anywhere else in the world. ..with Syria and Suadi Arabia next in line. These countries were all once called Persia and now all harbor terrorism. Since these terrorists all seem to be in related Islamic groups around the globe, and since they have attacked our ships in port, Spain, London, Israel, Tahiti, the United States mainland, and more,,,then I ask....do you think it likely or unlikely..that they will attack our country again...here at home??? Should we pull out and just wait for them to come do their bidding here? or do our best to put an end to this ruthless method of warfare? Can your poll answer this by just posting recent "credible" news articles?
    I have friends and relatives currently in Iraq and a few who have returned home. One young man served two tours in Iraq and one in Afganistan and is now home and serving out his tour in a recruitment offce. His remarks to me were more that the newsreporters that are in Iraq on or near the front lines, are causing more problems and apprehensions among servicemen than the terrorists themselves.
    the Baer
    Firstly) Your assertion that we are fighting "them" over "there" instead of over "here" is moronic. Terrorism is a tactic. You don't wage war against a tactic. I give you Eric Rudolph.

Secondly) There are no fawking reporters in Iraq "on or near" the front lines. For starters, there are NO FRONT LINES. Never mind the fact that the country is too dangerous for them to do any reporting. That's why we get Army news releases with fake Iraqi citizen quotes which happen to conatin Bush admin talking points.

Don't be so eager to drink the kool-aid that you don't do a little research.
    the Baer
    Let me ask you your opinion:

Have the billions and billions pissed into the sands of Iraq bought us anything ??

Has the war in Iraq weakened al Quaida and the Taliban ??

Is the average Iraqi today better off for our invaison or not ?? (you can exclude the thousands who've been maimed and killed, of course)

Are we in america and the west safer and more secure because of this slaughter ??

What will another year of maimed marines, orphaned children, and reservists forced into combat from their civilian jobs bring that the previous 2 years have not already yielded ??

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...wl_csm/osharmx

The rise of a jihadi suicide culture

Dan Murphy, Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
    Mon Jul 25, 2005

...Iraq appears to be playing a central role - in shifting views and as ground zero in a new wave in of suicide attacks.

"You can probably average it out to about one a day almost,'' says M.J. Gohel, a terrorism researcher at the Asia Pacific Foundation in London. (In June, the peak month in June 2004, there were 18 suicide bombings. This June, there were 30). "They're using them like confetti for what are frequently minor attacks, and what this shows is they have a virtually endless supply [of bombers] at this point. In the old days, suicide bombing was a rare event."

The tactical logic of the suicide bomber hasn't changed: He's difficult to stop, and equalizes the power differential between the militarily weak and the strong. But it appears, say some analysts, to have developed a momentum of its own. As it has become more common among the circles of supporters of the global jihad, taboos have been broken down creating a greater willingness among young men to take their own lives, which in turn feeds the cycle.

The Shiite group Hizbullah, which pioneered modern suicide bombings against Israel during its occupation of Lebanon, used the tactic fewer than 40 times. Palestinian militants, who adopted the tactic from Hizbullah, used suicide attackers 100 times in the 10 years until the end of 2002. Since, there have been 35 suicide attacks. And in Iraq, where suicide terrorism was virtually unknown before the US invasion, there have been 188 suicide bombings since August 2003, according to the Brookings Institute Iraq Index (although some research puts the tally as high as 400.)
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/04/2005 at 12:41 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    ... recently, it has been stated that there are more terrorists in Iraq than anywhere else in the world...
    As the CIA and British sources have stated, Iraq is now the main training ground for Islamistic terrorists. It is also one of the main (if not the main) force behind recruiting of new terrorists. That's an incredible achievement of the Bush administration, given they went to war to fight terrorism (and to stop Saddam's WMD, which turned out to be bogus). Think about it: the invasion of Iraq (a country whose ties to Islamistic terror were between insignificant and inexistent) has created the main terrorist breeding ground in the world, both regarding training and regarding recruiting of terrorists. George W. Bush must be a brilliant strategist...
    I ask....do you think it likely or unlikely..that they will attack our country again...here at home??? Should we pull out and just wait for them to come do their bidding here? or do our best to put an end to this ruthless method of warfare?
    According to the CIA, the terrorists trained in Iraq are THE main danger for the western world including the US. Can you kill them faster in Iraq than new ones are created? It does not look like it, because the attacks go up, not down in Iraq, and also in the rest of the world: 200 dead in Madrid, dozens dead in London, dozens dead in Sharm el Sheikh...

The invasion of Iraq was George W. Bush's gift to Osama bin Laden and the Al Qaida recruiters.

(Source):
    Monday, July 18, 2005; Posted: 11:12 a.m. EDT (15:12 GMT)

LONDON, England (AP) -- Britain's close alliance with the United States and involvement in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have left it at particular risk of terrorist attack, according to a report published Monday by two leading think tanks.

The Royal Institute of International Affairs, known as Chatham House, and the Economic and Social Research Council also said the situation in Iraq had given "a boost to the al Qaeda network's propaganda, recruitment and fund-raising" and provided an ideal training ground for al Qaeda-linked terrorists.
    (...)
    "There is no doubt that the situation over Iraq has imposed particular difficulties for the UK, and for the wider coalition against terrorism."

As well as being used as a propaganda tool by al Qaeda, the Iraq war had "deflected resources and assistance that could have been deployed to assist" Afghan President Hamid Karzai and to bring Osama bin Laden to justice.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/krwashbureau...terror_iraq_wa

Iraq seen emerging as prime training ground for terrorists

WASHINGTON -
    Iraq has replaced Afghanistan as the prime training ground for foreign terrorists who could travel elsewhere across the globe and wreak havoc, according to U.S. counterterrorism officials and classified studies by the
    CIA and the State Department

Of particular concern, the officials and studies say, are the urban combat techniques being learned and used by foreign fighters assaulting U.S. and Iraqi troops. There's already evidence that those tactics are being replicated elsewhere.

Marine Corps Lt. Gen. James T. Conway told a Pentagon briefing last week that remotely detonated bombs known as improvised explosive devices, or IEDs - the insurgents' weapon of choice in Iraq - are an increasing threat to U.S. forces trying to stabilize Afghanistan. ...

But Iraq wasn't a source of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism under Saddam and played no role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Critics argue that the U.S. invasion harmed, rather than helped, the war on terror by acting as a magnet and recruiting tool.
    Last edited by clulup; 07/27/2005 at 12:27 PM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    This reply is to Barye, daThomas, and Clulup..........thanks for your feedback. It is a wonderful thing that you were not here in the forties...or we would be speaking in German right now. Warfare has changed.....apparently you three (among some others that are in the minority in our country) don't seem to recognize this...and are free to tell others because you are free. I could answer the trite questions posed in one of the comebacks, but you know what my answers would be. All the authorities who predict and theorize and give unduly blame in various places, can also predict a 70% chance of a nuclear weapon being used in this country within the next ten years. I am certain that you would like to blame Bush for this as well,,,,,,if you had any sense you would know that OBL has been attempting to attain WMD for at least 15 years or more, long before Bush was president and during the Clinton years when nothing was done about the buildup of terrorists and terrorism against this country. Notice that normally, you don't hear conservatives pointing fingers at Clinton when it is just as easy to do so as you pointing them at Bush.. The bottom line is, when this nuclear device goes off, lets hope that you folks are spared so you can try to be kind to these people and ask them to stop it. Surely this will work.
    the Baer
    the Baer
    This reply is to Barye, daThomas, and Clulup..........thanks for your feedback. It is a wonderful thing that you were not here in the forties...or we would be speaking in German right now. Warfare has changed.....apparently you three (among some others that are in the minority in our country) don't seem to recognize this...and are free to tell others because you are free. I could answer the trite questions posed in one of the comebacks, but you know what my answers would be. All the authorities who predict and theorize and give unduly blame in various places, can also predict a 70% chance of a nuclear weapon being used in this country within the next ten years. I am certain that you would like to blame Bush for this as well,,,,,,if you had any sense you would know that OBL has been attempting to attain WMD for at least 15 years or more, long before Bush was president and during the Clinton years when nothing was done about the buildup of terrorists and terrorism against this country. Notice that normally, you don't hear conservatives pointing fingers at Clinton when it is just as easy to do so as you pointing them at Bush.. The bottom line is, when this nuclear device goes off, lets hope that you folks are spared so you can try to be kind to these people and ask them to stop it. Surely this will work.
    the Baer
    And nothing you just said has anything to do with invading Iraq. You're using a circular arguement.

And the Germany reference. Puleeez. That's such an inaccurate comparison it's quite sad.
    Hi Baer. Thanks for your thoughts and welcome to "Off Topic"
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    would expect that type of reply from someone in Seatle....daThomas

and Hiya Clairegrrl

the Baer
    the Baer
    would expect that type of reply from someone in Seatle....daThomas

the Baer
    Yea, that pesky logic is pervasive here.
    and we are all still laughing in the aisles at the expression "circular argument" here..

ha ha ha ha
    unbelievable
    the Baer
    You can't persuade Slim Shady, too much bleach in the bloodstream. You will learn to ignore his blatant inflammatory comments that appear so stupid that they are only made to strike up a response.

and we are all still laughing in the aisles at the expression "circular argument" here..

ha ha ha ha
    unbelievable
    mine responses were real.....but I know who he is without knowing him.....fun isn't it?
    the Baer
    Dems/Libs/Bush-haters all have the same line of attack when it comes to Iraq:

"Oh, why did we go there?"
    "Oh, they lied to us"
    "It's all a big conspiracy"

Wine, complain, wine, complain.

This thread hasn't changed for months.

It's about time you moveon.org followers practice what you preach and ...

MOVE ON!!!
    mine responses were real.....but I know who he is without knowing him.....fun isn't it?

Your responses were wrong and I pointed out why. Resorting to snarking will serve you less than trying to make a real arguement.And if you would like to point out how your iraq/terrorist argument is not circular, I'm more than happy to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    Dems/Libs/Bush-haters all have the same line of attack when it comes to Iraq:

"Oh, why did we go there?"
    "Oh, they lied to us"
    "It's all a big conspiracy"

Wine, complain, wine, complain.

This thread hasn't changed for months.

It's about time you moveon.org followers practice what you preach and ...

MOVE ON!!!

No. Bush admin fawked up.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast