Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Say what you want about Reagan but he lived a charmed life and was a true believer. He talked and many people thought he was out of touch. I remember people laughing out loud when he predicted the fall of the Berlin wall (before demanding it). His greatness was that he pictured a better America and world and worked everyday to make it happen despite having millions of reasons to quit.
    There is no doubt that Reagan was an extremely popular president. IMO I think he might have gotten some more votes than others simply because he is fairly recent and he passed away recently.

My vote would have been for Lincoln as #1.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I would of voted for George Washington. Add the first ladies to the mix and then I go back to Reagans. Never cared for her until I saw her devotion to the man as is illness was taking him.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    There is no doubt that Reagan was an extremely popular president. IMO I think he might have gotten some more votes than others simply because he is fairly recent and he passed away recently.

My vote would have been for Lincoln as #1.
    Not saying he should or should not have been No.1, but you don't think this had anything to do with it?

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Not saying he should or should not have been No.1, but you don't think this had anything to do with it?
    Yeah, I think that goes to the popular part. Even liberals who might have disagreed with his policies (i.e. economic) never seemed to say a bad word about him (I am not sure if politics were different during the 80's or if he just was well liked.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Recent history always slants these things. The winner was Abe Lincoln. If Reagan wins in the same poll 50 years from now, then we will have true confirmation.
    If this were the case, Clinton would have been #1
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I'd vote for him if he passed away.
    I meant "passed" from the scene
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Ouch!!!
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yeah, I think that goes to the popular part. Even liberals who might have disagreed with his policies (i.e. economic) never seemed to say a bad word about him (I am not sure if politics were different during the 80's or if he just was well liked.)
    His standing up to Communism wasn't very popular amongst the Liberals was it? He was made out to be a warmonger when elected. He would bring us to armageddon. Ronnie Ray-Gun remember?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Recent history always slants these things. The winner was Abe Lincoln. If Reagan wins in the same poll 50 years from now, then we will have true confirmation.
    Though I respected Reagan's accomplishments, I'd have to agree with Lincoln as the choice - without his service, chances are there would not have been a United States for MLK or Reagan.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Though I respected Reagan's accomplishments, I'd have to agree with Lincoln as the choice - without his service, chances are there would not have been a United States for MLK or Reagan.
    Well then, you should give it to George Washington then.

Well then, you should give it to George Washington then.
    I knew that was coming.......Washington acted in concert with many other visionary founding fathers. Lincoln acted primarily of his own accord and with phenomenal judgment IMO.
    Do not ask me to name him, for I cannot...

The greatest American is not any one man, but a continually existent "figure" which has repeatedly appeared throughout each generation/era of this country's history. He or she is that profoundly influential figure whom puts their very being on the line for the greater good. They selflessly place themselves behind all else in order to move us forward not only as a nation, but as human beings. Each of those people are equally great Americans, but no single one should be considered the greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    I knew that was coming.......Washington acted in concert with many other visionary founding fathers. Lincoln acted primarily of his own accord and with phenomenal judgment IMO.
    I would be curious as to daThomas opinion of Lincoln, considering his trampling of Habeas corpus...

I would be curious as to daThomas opinion of Lincoln, considering his trampling of Habeas corpus...
    Can I assume you're referring to the emancipation proclaimation as it relates to "the fundamental instrument for safeguarding individual freedom against arbitrary and lawless state action."?

If so, isn't it amazing that only history tells whether or not significant action was truly right or wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Clinton hasnt passed away and conservatives hate him.

His standing up to Communism wasn't very popular amongst the Liberals was it? He was made out to be a warmonger when elected. He would bring us to armageddon. Ronnie Ray-Gun remember?
    That may be true...I was only 9 when he was elected for his first term but he in popularity polls, he always did very well.

I obviously cant speak for DA but on the habeas corpus issue...it was a very tough decision. Lincoln was in many respects a champion of individual rights.

What I appreciate about Lincoln's decision on the use of habeas corpus was that after he made that tough decision, he put himself before the Congress. So even though he exceeded his constitutional authority, he did so with reservation and regret.

link
    The closing words of Justice Taney were on Lincoln's mind, for when he defended his actions before Congress in an Independence Day speech not two months later, he said: "Soon after the first call for militia it was considered a duty to authorize the commanding general in proper cases according to his discretion, to suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus, or in other words to arrest and detain, without resort to the ordinary processes and forms of law, such individuals as he might deem dangerous to the public safety. This authority has purposely been exercised but very sparingly. Nevertheless, the legality and propriety of what has been done under it, are questioned; and the attention of the country has been called to the proposition that one who is sworn to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed,' should not himself violate them."

Merryman was eventually released and forgotten, as was Lincoln's destruction of the Constitution. After the war, the Supreme Court officially restored habeas corpus in Ex parte Milligan (1866), ruling that trials of civilians by presidentially created military commissions are unconstitutional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12