1.    #1  
    I'm in the market for a laptop. I want to spend between $1k - $1800. I don't want anything real big or heavy. I would like something in the 14" screen size range. I've been looking at all the 15" and 17" widescreens and they are just too big to lug around. I also want internal WiFi and Bluetooth with at least 64MB or greater Video card.

Any recommendations on a good quality laptop? What brands should I be targeting and staying away from.
    If you can use a Mac, the 12" powerbook is the best computer going right now, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    If you can use a Mac, the 12" powerbook is the best computer going right now, IMO.
    I would agree with that. I ended up getting a 14" iBook, only for screen size. But the 12" PB is an amazing laptop. 512MB standard, 64MB nVidia Graphics, 80GB HDD, both internal WiFi and BT. Firewire and USB 2.0.

$1700 w/Superdrive
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    I've never used a Mac. Everything I have is Windows based. Will a Mac be compatible with my home network? Sorry for the ignorance on my part, but what will be different if I use a Mac? (I know, new question)
    Well, what do you mean by compatible? It'll find your router and have you up and running in no time. I also have a share directory (and subs) on my PC with my mp3 and flac files, so I can play them on my iBook.

I don't exactly know what you need the laptop for, so it's kind of hard to tell you what to expect.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    IBM T42, hands-down. I doubt you'll ever be disappointed. If you want to run OSX, wait until the i386 build is leaked on torrent and then laugh into the night. Something about a pulsating Apple logo on the back of my notebook would make me question my heterosexuality, of course, the only art I've ever made was on a porcelain canvass after a night of binge drinking.
    Pay no attention to Mr. Host...he will only lead you into the abyss

a powerbook is the way to go. i've never had to deal with the viruses that my pc friends have had to.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabuto
    a powerbook is the way to go. i've never had to deal with the viruses that my pc friends have had to.
    These "viruses" are a joke, anyone afflicted with one is using a device they don't understand. There are serious errata issues and security concerns with OSX, just see http://www.incidents.org or http://www.securiteam.com for example. OSX isn't a cure all, and while "viruses" don't exist on the scale they do for win32, don't think that the lack of viruses is at any point indicative of the security of your system. More nefarious people and applications would target your system, and operating under a false pretense of security would only produce catastrophic results.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    How bout a FlyBook?

Processor Transmeta Crusoe TM-5800, clock rate at 1GHz
    64K L1 Instruction Cache; 64K L1 Data Cache
    512K L2 Write-back Cache
    Built-in NorthBridge to support DDR/SDR/PCI interface
    LongRun Technology to extend Battery usage
    Support full SMM(System Management Mode)

Chipset ALi 1535+

Graphic Chipset ATi Radeon Mobility high performance low power chipset
    Built-in 16MB VRAM
    Support VGA-out and Video-out
    Support DirectXR 9.0

Main Memory 512MB DDR

BIOS and Flash Phoenix FB BIOS/512KB

Display 8.9" wide-view 16:9 display
    LTPS technology
    1024 x 600 (Wide-XGA) high resolutions
    Highest color to 32-bit
    Touch Panel overlaid for full screen touch control

External Display XGA (1024 x 768) (highest to 32-bit color)
    SXGA (1280 x 1024)(highest to 32-bit color)
    Highest resolutions to 1800 x 1440 (highest to 32-bit color)

External Video NTSC/PAL

PC Card Interface Support PCMCIA Cardbus Type-I/II

Hard Disk 2.5" Ultra DMA 66/100; 40 GB

Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth Version 1.1
    Antenna : Built-in

Wireless WAN Built-in GPRS
    Frequency : Tri Band ( 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz )

Wireless LAN(WiFi) Built-in 802.11b Wireless LAN function

Wired connection Built-in Modem (56K) (RJ-11)
    Built-in LAN (10/100Mbps) (RJ-45)

I/O Port 1 x mini-VGA
    1 x Video-Out
    2 x USB 2.0
    2 x 1394 Firewire
    1 x LAN (RJ-45)
    1 x PSTN(RJ-11)
    1 x PCMCIA Type-II Slot
    1 x pair of earphone/Mic
    Built-in WiFi antenna
    Shared Bluetooth antenna
    Built-in WAN antenna
    1 x external wireless WAN antenna connection socket

Audio AC 97; built-in speakers (stereo)

Keyboard 80-key standard keyboard

Fast Keys 2 x Mouse Emulation buttons sets
    Direction/Confirm Knob (Trackpoint)
    Hot Keys

Power Support ACPI for Power On/Off, STR, STD and power management.

Battery 3-cell Li-Ion rechargeable batteries
    Built-in very-low cut-off/Overcharge/Over Temp/Over-Current protection
    2 hours Fastest charging time
    User swappable

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP® Home or Professional Edition

Security BIOS/Power On/Hard Disk user name and password

Mechanical and
    Dimensions Clam shell and tablet convertible styles
    Landscape/Portrait display
    Dimensions:235 x 155 x 31 (mm)
    Weight around 1230g

External Power 100~240V / 50-60 Hz

Or you could go with an MP30 (Sharp)

SpecificationsModel
    Brand SHARP
    Model ACTIUS MP30
    Part# PCMP30
    CPU
    CPU Type Transmeta Efficeon
    CPU Speed 1.6GHz
    CPU Cache 1MB
    Operating Systems
    Operating System Windows XP Home
    Display
    Screen Size 10.4"
    Display Type XGA
    Resolution 1024 × 768
    Graphics
    GPU/VPU ATI Mobility RADEON 7500
    Video Memory Shared 32MB
    Hard Drive
    HD Capacity 40GB
    Memory
    Memory Slots 2x SO-DIMM
    Memory Speed DDR333
    Memory Size 512MB
    Max Memory Supported 1GB
    Optical Drive
    Optical Drive Type DVD/CD-RW Combo
    Optical Drive Interface Integrated
    Optical Drive Spec Write Speed: 24X CD-R; 10X CD-RW; Read Speed: 24X CD-ROM; 8X DVD-ROM
    Communications
    Modem 56K
    LAN 10/100Mbps
    WLAN 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    Ports
    Card Slot Type II slot x 1 (PC Card Standard compliant), CardBus PortSupported
    USB 2
    Video Port 1 x VGA
    Audio Ports Headphone output, audio output
    Audio
    Audio AC'97 compatible
    Speaker monaural speaker
    Input Device
    Touchpad Glide Pad (touch-sensitive control pad with 2 buttons), Intelli-Wheel feature
    Keyboard Approx. 17mm key pitch / 1.7mm stroke keyboard
    Power
    AC Adapter Universal AC Adapter -Input: 100 - 240V, 50/60Hz AC
    Battery Lithium Ion battery pack
    Battery Life 4.6 Hours
    Physical spec
    Dimensions 10" x 8.2" x 1.2"
    Weight 2.8 lbs
    Features
    Software Included Network Setup utility, Norton AntiVirus, WinDVD, Drag'n Drop CD+DVD, Corel WordPerfect Office
    Warranty
    Manufacturer Warranty One Year Limited
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834148009
    Transmeta Crusoe has some very bad reviews on processing power, due to emulated x86 functions. I wouldn't touch it, they say it's even slower than Celeron with power-draw greater than Centrino.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Transmeta Crusoe has some very bad reviews on processing power, due to emulated x86 functions. I wouldn't touch it, they say it's even slower than Celeron with power-draw greater than Centrino.
    The FlyBook is due to change processors comin' up, they are going to switch to Intel due to TMTA getting rid of their chip biz. The Sharp I have myself and it runs pretty well for me. I can run Adobe InDesign with no probs and quite a few other things. Far Cry one of them. The battery life on the sharp is quite acceptable being 3-4 hours of run time.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, what do you mean by compatible? It'll find your router and have you up and running in no time. I also have a share directory (and subs) on my PC with my mp3 and flac files, so I can play them on my iBook.

I don't exactly know what you need the laptop for, so it's kind of hard to tell you what to expect.
    Can I run all my Windows programs? MS Office 2003? Or will I need to purchase new software that is Mac compatible?
    There is a version of MS Office for OSX (or you can do like me, use OpenOffice.org...an MS Office clone). I would recommend Firefox for the Mac as well....a little more stable than Mac's Safari (in my experience). IE is also installed on Macs by default, but it's a lot slower than Safari and Firefox.

Your data should transfer over just fine.

If you want a test drive, I suggest getting a usb flash drive (Lexar is my favorite...they are more rugged...they last longer than any other brand that I've had). Then put your data that you use all the time and then connect it to a Mac and verify you can access the data you need ok. You should be able to use the store display model...don't worry about getting a virus...Macs are (currently) 100% virus free.
    Hey baby_arm, you may also want to take a look at the Sony VGN-S360. This is the laptop I got and got it for the same needs as you. I used to have a 15" laptop before and I got tired of lugging that thing around. Plus the battery sucked and graphic card was horrible. The Sony S360 is pretty small and light (13.3" in., 4 lbs), good battery life (2.5 - 6 hours), and the video card is pretty good for its size (ATI 9700 64MB).

Here's a brief spec:

- Centrino 1.7Ghz
    - 13.3" XBRITE screen
    - 512MB DDR2-400
    - 80GB hard drive
    - ATI 9700 64MB video card
    - CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    - Battery life: 2.5 - 6 hours
    - Wireless b/g
    - Weight: 4.2 lbs.

The only thing missing is the integrated bluetooth. But you can always get one of those tiny USB Bluetooth Adapters.
    Never used a Mac till this last April. I bought a 17" PB with 2 gigs ram. It is completely compatible with my Windows XP home network. I did spend additional money for the Office for Mac and additional money for Virtual PC which allows you to run Windows on your Mac. It's a bit of a pain, but not bad if you only need to infrequently utilized software that is Windows only. You will definetely spend more on a Mac, however I've had no hardware or software problems to date and that 17" screen is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm
    I've never used a Mac. Everything I have is Windows based. Will a Mac be compatible with my home network? Sorry for the ignorance on my part, but what will be different if I use a Mac? (I know, new question)
    I like cheese with my mac

Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I like cheese with my mac
    I felt pretty certain that Mac provided their own cheese via the Apple advertising campaign.