Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here we go again, Ladies and Gentlemen:
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A proposed constitutional amendment to ban burning of the American flag won the approval of the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday and was sent to the Senate where it may finally succeed after years of rejection.
    clicky
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I personally am for this proposed amendment....but the devils advocate side of me could make a pretty good argument that it should be protected under the 1st amendment as free speech.

(I will tell you that it burns my behind to ever see it lit on fire...it just kills me a little bit at a time.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Burnin' as we speak.........
    Burn a flag and its First Amendment free speech issue, burn a cross and its racist and divisive.

I am a strong believer in protect the flag it means much more to me than a roadrunner which is a protected as State bird of New Mexico or a simple state flower in many states is protected. Try killing a roadrunner to feed yourself or to express your first amendment rights...

Being raised in a military family I was brought up with the idea that one of the symbols of our freedom is our flag and in my opinion it should be protected.
    This goes back to show you we need to propose a law that would make all US flag material fireproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna
    Burn a flag and its First Amendment free speech issue, burn a cross and its racist and divisive.
    I think (no expert) that when the court has looked at these different issues, they look at the actor's intent. The flag burner is usually burning the flag to make a protest (hence 1st amendment). The cross burner is typically burning a cross intending to cause fear, hate, mob behavior (plus burning a cross is a federal crime under hate crime legislation.)

I am a strong believer in protect the flag it means much more to me than a roadrunner which is a protected as State bird of New Mexico or a simple state flower in many states is protected. Try killing a roadrunner to feed yourself or to express your first amendment rights...
    I feel the same way...

Being raised in a military family I was brought up with the idea that one of the symbols of our freedom is our flag and in my opinion it should be protected.
    I would hope that everyone feels the same way but they dont. The flag is a symbol of our country, the struggles we have gone through and the rights that we have been afforded by the constitution. Its ironic that someone can burn a flag, protesting something about the U.S., and the very right that is afforded to them is symbolized in their very hands.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Don't have much to say about this....the flag symbolizes a lot to me. Burning it is something that pisses me off beyond belief (long line of military in my family). It's an insult to me and to the military, both active and those who paid for liberty with their life. If you feel that strongly about my country, well don't let the door hit ya on the way out (boat door, airplane door, whatever).
    Banning flag burning will reduce carbon emissions and greenhouse gasses helping to prevent global warming. Good thinking!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I can see both sides of the issue, and don't have real strong feelings either way. BUT, I do think Congress has a great number of far more important issues to deal with.
    While America faces many extremely serious issues, Congress spends its time on the Sciavo case, a flag burning amendment, and even less important legislation.

This session of Congress is destined, I think, to be among the least effectual in history.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    This session of Congress is destined, I think, to be among the least effectual in history.
    One can only hope...the less Congress does, the better I feel.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Banning flag burning will reduce carbon emissions and greenhouse gasses helping to prevent global warming. Good thinking!

Nice!

I don't think people should burn flags but I don't think we need to make it a crime. We have already taken the 'legislate morality' thing too far.
    Always the environmentalist
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    thank god the flags safe even if my property isn't...rolls eyes

Cannot wait till the republican losers are out of office, my god we had more rights in medevil times
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL

Cannot wait till the republican losers are out of office, my god we had more rights in medevil times
    Almost right - the Democrats were the losers
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL

Perhaps you should look at which Justices were in favor, and which dissented on the ruling that paved the way for this, (property rights) before you open your piehole.
    Last edited by Insertion; 06/27/2005 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Perhaps you should look at which Justices were in favor, and which dissented on the ruling that paved the way for this, before you open your piehole.

....."piehole".....snicker..............
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Perhaps you should look at which Justices were in favor, and which dissented on the ruling that paved the way for this, (property rights) before you open your piehole.
    Ahhhh, but then he/she would have to admit that not everything is the "fault of the vast right wing conspiracy".
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Almost right - the Democrats were the losers
    I prefer the term....'Runner Up'.

While we're at it, can we ban the use of the flag on things like paper plates, napkins, tablecloths, and the like? Does anyone have a problem with using the likeness of the flag on products like that? As we get closer to Independence Day and stores are going to be chock full of them, I always think about it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast