Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Ahhhh, but then he/she would have to admit that not everything is the "fault of the vast right wing conspiracy".
    To help him/her:
    From cnn.com
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/scotus.property.ap/

"The city has carefully formulated an economic development that it believes will provide appreciable benefits to the community, including -- but by no means limited to -- new jobs and increased tax revenue," Justice John Paul Stevens wrote for the majority.

He was joined by Justice Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.
    those oppose:
    Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who has been a key swing vote on many cases before the court, issued a stinging dissent. She argued that cities should not have unlimited authority to uproot families, even if they are provided compensation, simply to accommodate wealthy developers.

"Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party, but the fallout from this decision will not be random," O'Connor wrote. "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms."

She was joined in her opinion by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, as well as Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.
    Thank your diety that those obstructionist Judges weren't able to succeed this time.

Of course we already have a thread dedicated to this issue:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88388
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I prefer the term....'Runner Up'.
    How wonderfully PC of you
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    thank god the flags safe even if my property isn't...rolls eyes

Cannot wait till the republican losers are out of office, my god we had more rights in medevil times
    Even as a bad speller, you still have rights. What is me devil anyway
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    T Shirts available

Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Don't have much to say about this....the flag symbolizes a lot to me. Burning it is something that pisses me off beyond belief (long line of military in my family). It's an insult to me and to the military, both active and those who paid for liberty with their life. If you feel that strongly about my country, well don't let the door hit ya on the way out (boat door, airplane door, whatever).
    Exactly. I am for free speech 100%. But when it comes to the flag, it DOES symbolize something, and with that, it's the country in which you reside. Burn the flag - hate your country. Hate your country - well, there's always Canada (you can drive a u-haul there).

There are far more ways to protest (wars, policy, etc.) where you can gain many more ears than burning a flag. I think if you speak with conviction and a plan, you'll gain many more dedicated followers. Burn a flag, and the only followers you get are part of your own secluded group, and I'll be darned if I'll respect what they have to say at that point.

Pamela
    Who SUPPORTS the troops and the president, regardless of what I think about anyone's decisions. I wave the flag proudly outside my home, regardless of my country's mistakes.
    Although burning a flag is not something I would do, I do believe the right should be protected under the first amendment. This doesn't mean I hate my country or that I should move to Canada.

Unlike the roadrunner that will go extinct without protection, there will always be more flags to make so I don't agree this is the best analogy.

I agree that there are far more important issues for Congress to address. Are we really experiencing a rash of flag burning?
    All,

The right to burn the flag *is* protected under the first amendment. That is why Congress is working to amend the Constitution to give Congress the power to ban it.
    I am typically against flag burning but how about if we burn an American flag with a picture of Michael Moore sewn on it? That might make it alright.

What about 1st ammendment rights to burn non-American flags? Hey Claire - Any other country you might want to execute YOUR first ammendment right by naming as potential firewood right here on Treocentral?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I am typically against flag burning but how about if we burn an American flag with a picture of Michael Moore sewn on it? That might make it alright.

What about 1st ammendment rights to burn non-American flags? Hey Claire - Any other country you might want to execute YOUR first ammendment right by naming as potential firewood right here on Treocentral?
    Essayez-vous de m'obtenir dans l'ennui ?
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Essayez-vous de m'obtenir dans l'ennui ?
    Oui. Oui. Auchante madam Clairegirl.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  11.    #31  
    Madam? Claire??

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    All,

The right to burn the flag *is* protected under the first amendment. That is why Congress is working to amend the Constitution to give Congress the power to ban it.
    Just curious (because I am not sure)...IF the flag burning amendment gets passed in the senate and ratified by at least 38 states and a test case gets sent to the US S.Ct., couldnt the court rule the amendment unconstitutional in that it interferes with the 1st amendment? Anyone know?

If the court couldnt come to that conclusion, then couldnt 'bad' (however you define that) laws be made by the majority as amendments to basically allow exceptions to rights we already enjoy under the constitution and bill of rights?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio..._thomas28.html
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12