1.    #1  
    “Dollars for Dismissals”
    The prosecutor in the DeLay case dropped charges in exchange for cash to pet cause.

Ronnie Earle, the Texas prosecutor who has indicted associates of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay in an ongoing campaign-finance investigation, dropped felony charges against several corporations indicted in the probe in return for the corporations' agreement to make five- and six-figure contributions to one of Earle's pet causes."

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200506200910.asp

Given this turn of events it would seem that my comments in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=Tom+Delay
    were entirely approrpiate.

This was a political and idealogical shakedown by a Boss Hog prosecutor.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 06/20/2005 at 03:48 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Bump to the top...maybe DA, Cell, Nudist and NRG haven't seen this yet.

What happened to the Delay scandal, anyway? Oh yeah, that's right. They found out that Dems were doing the exact same thing. Sure dropped off the front page then, didn't it?
    Must have learned this trick from Jesse Jackson
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Must have learned this trick from Jesse Jackson
    I thought about mentioning that in my original post...but why belabor the obvious
    did he drop the case against Delay or just some corporations?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    did he drop the case against Delay or just some corporations?
    Delay hasn't been charged with anything, other than a smear campaign.

Do you care to offer any other commentary...maybe about how this was little more than a shakedown?
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 06/20/2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Delay hasn't been charged with anything, other than a smear campaign.

Do you care to offer any other commentary...maybe about how this was little more than a shakedown?
    I have to admit I have not read the article. But I will read it, I would like to see what the argument is, from the conservative perspective of the source.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I have to admit I have not read the article. But I will read it, I would like to see what your argument is. Give me a little time on this.
    Be honest Cell, I have to think if it were an indictment on DeLay, you'd have not only read from it, but picked out lines to post.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The reason why we have never heard of it yet is because the only place it shows up is National Review. I've been looking but haven't found anything yet. 1911 if you know of other sources please submit those as well.
    National Review or not, I doubt the author would make up something with details like this. Possible, but seems unlikely. Would that not be libel? Against a judge no less?

11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    National Review or not, I doubt the author would make up something with details like this. Possible, but seems unlikely. Would that not be libel? Against a judge no less?
    I am not casting doubt on it, National Review as far as I know is a stand up publication. I just wanted more sources ya know.
  12.    #12  
    I'll be damned....I can't google up a reference for this article.

Somehow I doubt though that Byron York has a Bill Burkett faxing him stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I am not casting doubt on it, National Review as far as I know is a stand up publication. I just wanted more sources ya know.
    I'm with you. And as far as Political Magazines go, I think NR is the most fair. Buckley is my brand of Republican.

On Delay's website, he talks about the indictments but not that they have been dropped.

link

Texas Indictments: A Political D.A.'s Attempt to Criminalize Politics

* The Austin District Attorney, Ronnie Earle, is a partisan Democrat who tries to undo with a grand jury what he can't stop at the ballot box. Under a peculiar Texas law, he has statewide jurisdiction over election law issues.

* The indictment of three TRMPAC figures and eight corporate donors was a political dirty trick sprung 40 days before an election.

* Since the 2002 elections, Earle has gone after people and entities he determined were involved in helping Republicans win elections in Texas.

* Earle has a history of targeting political enemies including Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, whose case was dropped due to a lack of evidence. Texas has only recently become a Republican state, so Earle's claim that he prosecuted Democrats too is a red herring.

* The indictments are based on an extreme interpretation of a highly ambiguous law being misused by 1) a highly partisan prosecutor; 2) who is soon to be on his fifth grand jury; 3) in this two-year investigative payback for Republicans winning in Texas.

* Earle's investigation is about whether the Texas Election Code was violated through corporate fundraising. But Texas law allows corporate money to be raised for indirect political activity (as opposed to donations to candidates), which is what TRMPAC did.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    On Delay's website, he talks about the indictments but not that they have been dropped.

link

Texas Indictments: A Political D.A.'s Attempt to Criminalize Politics

* The Austin District Attorney, Ronnie Earle, is a partisan Democrat who tries to undo with a grand jury what he can't stop at the ballot box. Under a peculiar Texas law, he has statewide jurisdiction over election law issues.

* The indictment of three TRMPAC figures and eight corporate donors was a political dirty trick sprung 40 days before an election.

* Since the 2002 elections, Earle has gone after people and entities he determined were involved in helping Republicans win elections in Texas.

* Earle has a history of targeting political enemies including Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, whose case was dropped due to a lack of evidence. Texas has only recently become a Republican state, so Earle's claim that he prosecuted Democrats too is a red herring.

* The indictments are based on an extreme interpretation of a highly ambiguous law being misused by 1) a highly partisan prosecutor; 2) who is soon to be on his fifth grand jury; 3) in this two-year investigative payback for Republicans winning in Texas.

* Earle's investigation is about whether the Texas Election Code was violated through corporate fundraising. But Texas law allows corporate money to be raised for indirect political activity (as opposed to donations to candidates), which is what TRMPAC did.
    Check it in a couple of days. There is no way Tom won't use this.
  16.    #16  
    Time to bump this to the top.

Earle is a political hack/shakedown artist.
  17.    #17  
    Watch Tom hang this around Earle's neck.