Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the interest of full disclosure, I can be classified as a christian. As such, I have a vested interest in the real or perceived marginalization of my beliefs in the culture. That notwithstanding, this latest articles offends my intellect, not my faith.

http://www.gazette.net/200524/montgo.../280140-1.html

Here is the summary. For the past few years, three of the large senior high schools in Montgomery Country (Maryland) have been holding graduation ceremonies at a local christian congregation's meeting place. The auditorium seats 10,00. This site was chosen because it can seat the graduates and all of their family and friends.

The school board is now recommending that these schools select different venues (smaller and more costly) because some attendees are "uncomfortable" being in a religious setting. The interest group voicing the concern describes the uncomfortability this way:
    ...holding the ceremonies at a church could violate constitutional protections against unwanted exposure to expressions of religion.
    First, does the constitution guarantee protection from "unwanted exposure to expressions of religion"???!!! NO!

Second, are people so intellectually feeble that their mental sensibilities can not survive a 2-hour graduation occuring in a building that is used for religious services?

Is this my religous bias, or is this ridiculous?
    Last edited by shopharim; 06/20/2005 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    I dont think it has anything to do with a bias on your part. It's just ridiculous
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Some people are just too high-strung, namely school boards in general. They need to give things a chance. I mean, chances are, the owners of the auditorium are mature and responsible enough to realize that people of all faiths (and no faiths) would be in attendance and be sensitive to everyones views and not try to 'proselyte' or take advantage of the situation.

Besides, the writers of the Constitution wanted to protect us from a state-run religion, which is the way England was at the time. I think, for the most part, most democratic nations have matured by now that none of them push a religion, even though, many government meetings (in all democratic nations) may be presided over or started with prayers. We still get to choose how and where and when we worship, not the government.

If the government shallow answer is to not accomadate on the extreme remote chance of offending someone, then that is corruption.
    Last edited by ekuzco; 06/20/2005 at 10:15 AM.
    I have tried to see the side of the people making complaints, but I just can't.

I've been in several different types of churches that are not my own. In those churches, I see others' expressions of faith. I just can't imagine being offended - while in someone else's church - because I see evidence of someone's belief that is different than my own. What reason is there for me to feel "uncomfortable"?

If I were in that school district, I suppose I would feel grateful that the church made the facilities available to me.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    yawn
    Wake up Cell!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    If I were in that school district, I suppose I would feel grateful that the church made the facilities available to me.
    Dont school districts near you rent school gyms and other areas to "churches" for use on Sunday?
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    yawn
    Yeah...If you're tired, step away from the keyboard.
    It has gotten ridiculous the lengths people will go to maintain separation of church and state. I do agree there should be separate but some of the complaints are just plain over the top.

I read recently that someone filed a suit because the teacher was teaching them about Christianity as it pertained to history.. in a history class! Another suit tried stopping a group of kids from having a Christian club in school. The lines really have been clouded.
    I'm sure that everyone here will feel the same if the graduation was held at the local mosque with adequately large meeting-room.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Dont school districts near you rent school gyms and other areas to "churches" for use on Sunday?
    Probably. However, the latest controversy was when a local school district refused to let the gay and lesbian club have space after-hours. The club students threatened suit for unequal treatment, so the school district was going to ban all clubs from using school facilities.

Everybody ended up mad. I don't remember the final outcome of the controversy, though.
    Some local high school is changing where it has its graduation, it does not work me into a lather, sorry.
    aprasad,

Good point but no I would not have a problem with having a meeting in a mosque. Now of course this is not going to happen I doubt that a mosque would sub-lease to anyone.

It is interesting that people these days just hate to be inconvenienced and are so selfish that they prefer to make everyone else inconvenienced. We have become such a touchie feely society

For the record.. i am an Athiest.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Some local high school is changing where it has its graduation, it does not work me into a lather, sorry.
    If you didnt have an opinion, and really dont care, why say anything. Shop wanted to start the thread and talk about it. You just wanna stifle opinions that differ from yours. Trollboy
    Religion is very personal to me and I'm typically not a big fan of the 'group-think' that often throws its weight around in the form of organized religion, assuming they speak for everyone who practices a certain type of faith.

That being said, I think some schools are now trying to avoid showing religious preference. It's difficult when Christianity is often the overwhelming majority religion and has permeated much of the community surrounding the school. I imagine many schools can only simulate that there's balance to their students.

I was raised a Christian, and I'm really ok with school having little connection with it. If Christianity is so worried about losing its flock and encouraging a youthful membership, it needs to not cry foul every time its questionable role in a public venue is marginalized, and instead focus more on positive messages and positive role models in the community, respecting other faiths, and not imposing itself into political arenas so much.

I can say this, because growing up near the reign and polarizing presence of Jerry Falwell played a significant part in forming my identity. I felt very early on a disenchantment with certain manifestations of organized faith.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I'm sure that everyone here will feel the same if the graduation was held at the local mosque with adequately large meeting-room.
    Won't attempt to speak for everyone, but I would feel the same way. If the mosque required the females in attendance to be covered from head to toe, then I would suggest an alternative location. Likewise, if the church required the attendees to take communion, I would suggest an alternative. If the church people were leaving tracts/leaflets in the seats I would suggest an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Won't attempt to speak for everyone, but I would feel the same way. If the mosque required the females in attendance to be covered from head to toe, then I would suggest an alternative location. Likewise, if the church required the attendees to take communion, I would suggest an alternative. If the church people were leaving tracts/leaflets in the seats I would suggest an alternative.

Shop agreed if the venue left stipulations outside of normal public behavior than certainly they need to move the location. Most church rental halls I have visited are fairly innocuous but this is certainly not always the case.
    My opinion is that we are lacking people who will simply say "No, there's nothing wrong with this, if you don't like it, shut your mouth, or don't come." Too many times we playcate to the lawyers and the other bottom-feeders. Why are we often catering to the minority (not race, but the literal sense), negatively impacting the majority. The majority of the people don't have a problem, yet the lawyer scare and the fear of being unpopular somehow influences these decisions. I think we need to punch these people in the face.

Heaven forbid some of the social deviants gleen some basic morality from the location.
    The founding fathers (and mothers) left the common sense clause out of the Constitution. Of course, in their day, dignity, etiquette, and common sense were high ideals and a "given", they probably didn't think it was necessay to spell it out.

Cheers, Perry.

(Anything, taken to the nth degree, becomes a perversion of the orignal intent.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The founding fathers (and mothers) left the common sense clause out of the Constitution. Of course, in their day, dignity, etiquette, and common sense were high ideals and a "given", they probably didn't think it was necessay to spell it out.
    Interestingly, the founders talked about relying upon religon to teach the people "public virtue", which is necessary for good government. Without the teaching of public virtue to religons, families, etc., our government (and society) suffers.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast