1.    #1  

I live on the 1st floor in a vintage apartment building turned condominiums. There are some unsavory characters that hang at the bus stop close by, so I got a portable ac unit where I can keep the window open just enough for the exhaust tube and I'll install some window locks to keep the window from being raised. A regular window unit creeped me out, I figure I'd get home one day and the unit would be missing along with all the goodies out of my apartment.

Anyone have experience with a portable AC unit? I went home for lunch to install it and could feel all sorts of heat on the exhaust tube when I switched it on.

Also, what is the deal with remote controls for ACs and fans? Are people really that lazy they can't walk across the room to adjust the settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    Anyone have experience with a portable AC unit? I went home for lunch to install it and could feel all sorts of heat on the exhaust tube when I switched it on.
    Thats why its called the exhaust tube
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I would like to know as well as I am looking for one for my boat.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Thats why its called the exhaust tube

Well duh. The little Chinese men who put it together didn't know it would get blazing hot and didn't insulate it one bit. I'm going to have to do my own insulation work, I'm just wondering if this could be a fire hazard.
    blazing hot=fire hazzard
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  6.    #6  
    I'll find out when I get home tonight.
    I'm also tellin' daThomas you bought something from China
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Hey burnout, is your avatar Michael Jackson before the makeup???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    I'll find out when I get home tonight.
    If you have one if you left that AC running.
  10.    #10  
    I was just paranoid about the heat from the exhaust. I went up by my window outside and it is blasting hot air pretty well. My apartment is a nice 74 F at the moment.

This is a good product for people with no windows, people on the first floor in areas where you don't want your window unit stolen, and boats. You will have to take the casters off the bottom or block them. You'll also need to cut out a 5 inch diameter hole in the wall for the exhaust if you don't have a window.

One problem with the 'no empty' portable ACs is you do have to empty them still, just not as much like with a dehumidifier. It shuts off if there is too much water and the drain plug is a pain to get to.

I'm making a mojito. Cheers.
  11.    #11  
    P.S. - insertion - google Brian Peppers