Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    New lows Gates will go for a dollar.

Microsoft's new Chinese internet portal has banned the words "democracy" and "freedom" from parts of its website in an apparent effort to avoid offending Beijing's political censors.

Users of the joint-venture portal, formally launched last month, have been blocked from using a range of potentially sensitive words to label personal websites they create using its free online blog service, MSN Spaces.

Attempts to input words in Chinese such as "democracy" prompted an error message from the site: "This item contains forbidden speech. Please delete the forbidden speech from this item." Other phrases banned included the Chinese for "demonstration", "democratic movement" and "Taiwan independence".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is nonsense. This just goes to show the depths the microsoft empire will stoop to rake in a dollar or a Renminbi(yuan). I would like to hear your all's thoughts on this matter.
    This is a Chi-Com policy is it not? (North Korea is even stricter.) I don't think it's fair to portray MS as the bad guy. They're just playing by the rules given to them.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    In the end, giving more Chinese access to the net will increase their freedoms. Things will change.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    so you are blaming MS for communism?
    They have to follow the rules the government gives them.
    They follow US laws here, and Chinas laws there. Otherwise they are not allowed to do business there. Access to the internet is EXTREMELY limited in china, exactly for the reason that they know it will lead to revolution once the people know the truth.

It is better for more American companies to be available in China, no matter how restrictive the laws are.

Remember, China does not have a bill of rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam
    so you are blaming MS for communism?
    How else to explain this?

"Newsweek apologized yesterday for an inaccurate report on the treatment of detainees that triggered several days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 15 people died.

Editor Mark Whitaker expressed regret over the item in the magazine's "Periscope" section, saying it was based on a confidential source -- a "senior U.S. government official" -- who now says he is not sure whether the story is true."

Who knows if anything these guys print is true. BTW, that cover is a year old. What does it have to do with what howiecam said this morning
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is a Chi-Com policy is it not? (North Korea is even stricter.) I don't think it's fair to portray MS as the bad guy. They're just playing by the rules given to them.
    Doing business with China is anti-democracy. America needs to use it's purchasing power only to reward China's moves towards democracy. Right now, you've got Wal Marts and Googles tripping over eacj other to get a piece of that pie.

Realize that we're talking about a country that rents prison labor to other countries like Greece. Yes, that's pretty fawked up when you think about how easy it is to become a prisoner based on pro-democracy beliefs.

My girlfriend is over there right as the department store she works for sends monitors to foreign factories to make sure they don't get embarrassed by sweat shop scanddal.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    In the end, giving more Chinese access to the net will increase their freedoms. Things will change.
    This does not give the people more access to the net. The Chinese gov't has an INCREDIBLE strangle hold on the net with complete control over the few pipes in and out of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Doing business with China is anti-democracy. America needs to use it's purchasing power only to reward China's moves towards democracy. Right now, you've got Wal Marts and Googles tripping over eacj other to get a piece of that pie.

Realize that we're talking about a country that rents prison labor to other countries like Greece. Yes, that's pretty fawked up when you think about how easy it is to become a prisoner based on pro-democracy beliefs.

My girlfriend is over there right as the department store she works for sends monitors to foreign factories to make sure they don't get embarrassed by sweat shop scanddal.
    That's a different arguement though. I was addressing the title of the thread.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    That's a different arguement though. I was addressing the title of the thread.
    I agree with you that M$ is not creating the policy but rather following the gov'ts. However, by doing biz there they are by default supporting the anti-democracy of the Chinese people. As do we all when we buy a t-shirt from Old Navy that was made in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    "Newsweek apologized yesterday for an inaccurate report on the treatment of detainees that triggered several days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 15 people died.

Editor Mark Whitaker expressed regret over the item in the magazine's "Periscope" section, saying it was based on a confidential source -- a "senior U.S. government official" -- who now says he is not sure whether the story is true."

Who knows if anything these guys print is true. BTW, that cover is a year old. What does it have to do with what howiecam said this morning
    Whoa! I was joking! My bad, I forgot to put a after the ...I wasn't being political (really!)...I guess I was naive not to realize that the sight of a NewsWeek cover might elicit some sort of VRC reflex. In case it's a matter of being too young to get the visual reference, here it is:

I promise that I don't think that Mr. Gates is a communist...
    There are a lot of talented people trying to get out of China's system. I have some of them in my lab for example, really well trained, bright and creative scientists whom I am working with on visas and getting permanent residency. We would do quite well to brain drain China at this point though more liberal and more focused immigration policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I agree with you that M$ is not creating the policy but rather following the gov'ts. However, by doing biz there they are by default supporting the anti-democracy of the Chinese people. As do we all when we buy a t-shirt from Old Navy that was made in China.
    I am not giving up my iPod to make a political statement!

LOL but where are your principles
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    LOL but where are your principles
    You're actually asking me about principles?

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt...they just dont let anyone be a Ranger...do they?
    Yea, being a geek makes it VERY hard not to buy products made in China. Right there with you.
    I’ve got some news for most of you who never learned it in school: America is NOT (supposed to be) a democracy. Our Founding Fathers HATED democracies. Anyone care to guess what we are? (Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)

“I pledge allegiance
    To the flag
    Of the united States [sic] of America
    And to the…”

On my Website, under the My Heroes page, there’s a link to an article by Rep. Ron Paul called “A Republic, If You Can Keep It.” It also contains links to the Federalist Papers proving the statements above.

Now all you need to do is have the courage to learn the truth: that Democracy and Communism are one in the same… anti-freedom.

- B

P.S. – A few relevant quotes from my Quotations page:

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. -- Alexander Tyler

Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried. -- Winston Churchill

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. -- Benjamin Franklin

Democracy, n:
    A government of the masses. Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of direct expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic... negating property rights. Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Result is demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy. -- U.S. Army Training Manual No. 2000-25 (1928-1932), since withdrawn
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilovett
    I’ve got some news for most of you who never learned it in school: America is NOT (supposed to be) a democracy. Our Founding Fathers HATED democracies. Anyone care to guess what we are? (Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)

“I pledge allegiance
    To the flag
    Of the united States [sic] of America
    And to the…”

On my Website, under the My Heroes page, there’s a link to an article by Rep. Ron Paul called “A Republic, If You Can Keep It.” It also contains links to the Federalist Papers proving the statements above.

Now all you need to do is have the courage to learn the truth: that Democracy and Communism are one in the same… anti-freedom.

- B

P.S. – A few relevant quotes from my Quotations page:

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. -- Alexander Tyler

Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried. -- Winston Churchill

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. -- Benjamin Franklin

Democracy, n:
    A government of the masses. Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of direct expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic... negating property rights. Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Result is demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy. -- U.S. Army Training Manual No. 2000-25 (1928-1932), since withdrawn
    Before you get hung up on semantics, I think you know what we alll mean when referring to China.
    oh boy...this is going to get good!

My $.02 on China...MS is trying to beat Linux in China....China craves strict government control over everything.... they didn't like the dvd concept because of the royalities so they had their engineers create svcds...more open source, and more controlable. I wonder if they'll agree to having to fork over money to Bill. ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast