Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    I am all for tighter border control but I fail to see how that article relates to that issue? Are you insinuating that the people who are killing the police chief are or may be coming into the U.S. and causing harm?
    Yea, really. This is all internal activity for Mexico.

And agian I'll ask if you're ready for $3/head lettuce because the U.S. agricultural system is dependent on illegal immigrant labor.
    Yup, Thomas hit the nail on the head. We could certainly seal the border (or at least come close). It would cost a ton of money, but that's not the real issue. The real issue is that there are many very large business interests in the South and Southwest that don't really want border controls to be too tight. It's not just agriculture, either. The construction trades rely heavily on cheap, illegal labor. To a lesser extent, so do factory employers in the Southwest, and textile employers everywhere.

And all of those businesses are singificant contributors to both Bush and House and Senate candidates.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I agree with Thomas and Meyer

Illegal aliens don't come to the US to shoot people, they come because of the promise of employment.

You want to stop illegal immigration - start putting employers who hire them in jail.

but no.... that would anger republican constituents now wouldn't it?

I guess it is much easier just to bash illegal mexicans, they don't vote.
    Da, that head of lettuce already costs more than $3.00 when you factor in the cost of our health care system being swamped, our schools being swamped, and our legal system being swamped. (I seem to recall a $6 billion dollar annual price tag on the later. How much do you think it costs to police MS-13?)

I'd like to see the following:
    1) The establishment of five "Ellis Island" type facilities where people can get green cards in exhcange for biometric based ID. Three on the southern border, one each on the coasts. Medical exams, the whole nine yards, just like it was back in the day. Total processing time must be five days or less. Immigrants must provide address and employment information every six months.

2) Current illegals have ONE YEAR to go through Ellis Island. After that, deportation within 72 hours, and barred for life

3) If arrested, deportation back to country of origin with 72 hours. That person will NEVER be allowed to legally reenter the country.

4) Jail time for employers that use illegal immigrant labor. No fines, just jail time. Employers caught paying under the table...jail time.

5) Border security becomes a national priority, to include mobilizing National Guard units to augment Border Patrol. We are a soverign nation with laws.

6) Municipalities that don't detain illegals for federal authorities lose federal funding.

7) The children of illegals no longer receive instant citizenship.

8) Hospitals must treat everyone that comes through their doors, but must notify federal authorities if they suspect the patient is an illegal.
  6.    #7  
    Correlation as I see it is:

1) At what point in time does it spill over the border

2) Gee, what activities do you suppose those who perpetrate these executions are prominent in? It couldn't be drugs, transport of illegals, etc. could it?

3) The Mexican Gov't does virtually nothing to prevent or clean it up and they give suggestions on how illegals can enter the US - you don't suppose the violent culture that is allowed to continue has something to do the level of illegal activity caused by illegals in this country do you?
    The usual suspects have raised the reason why the Repubs are strong on the border...why do they suppose that Dems don't act on this issue? Let me help....illegal immigrants provide a source for illegal votes, as well as a burgeoning population that relies upon government assistance.

We're being screwed by both sides on this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix

Illegal aliens don't come to the US to shoot people, they come because of the promise of employment.
    That's right. MS-13 is much more into decapitations and mutiliations than they are in shooting people.
  9.    #10  

Though you may be right, a significant portion of illegal aliens don't come to the US to shoot people, unfortunately illegal aliens are resonsibile for a significant portion of crime:

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/back704.html
    http://www.cis.org/articles/2001/cri...estimated.html
    http://www.immigrationshumancost.org/
    http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/APS...D8AK2VAO0.html

"Since the beginning of the fiscal year (October 1, 2003) through Sept. 8 the Tucson Sector has arrested 12,535 illegal aliens with criminal records in the United States. Of that number, 175 were for Sexual Offenses. Of the criminal aliens arrested, 605 of them had active warrants out for their arrest." U.S. Border Patrol arrests two sexual predators in two days Eloy(AZ), Enterprise September 16, 2004
    http://www.vdare.com/bevens/hispanic_month.htm

From my perspective, a guest worker policy coupled with tight borders is a reasonably responsible way to provide workers and bettercontrol who get into the country.

You want to stop illegal immigration - start putting employers who hire them in jail.

but no.... that would anger republican constituents now wouldn't it?
    I have -0- problem with this.

For those of you hell bent against tighter control - have you ever lived in the Southwestern US or for that matter spent a week or so and watched the local news each night? If not, it would be quite eye-opening....
    Last edited by treo2die4; 06/09/2005 at 01:14 PM.
    Why are we having a thread about "Tight Bladder Control"??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Depends.....
    Hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    That's right. MS-13 is much more into decapitations and mutiliations than they are in shooting people.
    1911, nice to see you. You bring up an interesting question, "Do illegals as a group committ more violent crime than US citizens do?" I would be interested to see some HARD numbers on this. So far what has been posted in anecdotal and unconvincing. In the articles they pull numbers out about illegal alien warrants and then they say good luck about finding that in official records.
  14.    #15  
    1911, nice to see you. You bring up an interesting question, "Do illegals as a group committ more violent crime than US citizens do?" I would be interested to see some HARD numbers on this.
    I looked at this and some data seems to indicate yes, some no - I wasn't able to find anything definitive.
    There are more and more drive by's and murders in large hispanic areas, violence is their culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    There are more and more drive by's and murders in large hispanic areas, violence is their culture.
    That is a very broad generalization. There are a large number of hispanic people in Boulder County. They are by and large very humble and hardworking people. I can assure you it wasnt a gang of Mexicans that killed JonBenet Ramsay
    1911-at least you are offering some sort of plan (kudos) I did have a couple questions though:

3) If arrested, deportation back to country of origin with 72 hours. That person will NEVER be allowed to legally reenter the country.
    For just being arrested (meaning: we dont know if you did it but we suspect you, and as of yet, we have not satisfied the burden of proof that you are guilty). It really should be if they are convicted. Otherwise, it would just turn into 'sweeps' where there really was no probable cause to arrest but only because they 'look' a certain way (i.e. racial profiling).

8) Hospitals must treat everyone that comes through their doors, but must notify federal authorities if they suspect the patient is an illegal.
    Suspect based on what? How they look? Half my co-workers (if they had to go to the emergency room) would fall under that category (and all of them are US citizens). This would put a huge burden on the hospital (and on the responding police).

I do think you are on the right track. But for political and economical reasons, its not a priority right now (even though the 'terrorist' argument is being thrown around.)
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    For those of you hell bent against tighter control - have you ever lived in the Southwestern US or for that matter spent a week or so and watched the local news each night? If not, it would be quite eye-opening....
    I have and you bring up a good point: If you look at the border states (save Texas), they dont have that much political clout (or electoral votes) which is one of the political reasons why this problem isnt really getting the attention that it deserves.
    T2, let me elaborate.
    Arrested, held in detention, tried, deported. 72 Hours. Right now they get arrested and are given a summons to appear. Would you care to hazard a a guess as to how many show up for their deportation hearings?

Regarding the hospital care, I advocate profiling. So yes, that is based on how people look and how they speak and what papers they present. Sort of like when a cop pulls a car over that is weaving all over the road.

What did you think of the Ellis Island approach?
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast