Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    DL, I think you are painting too broad of a stroke here.
    Not all, majority.
    With the low mortgage interest rates over the past couple years, hispanics have begun 'infiltrating' my subdivision. (My subdivision is only 5 years old...we were the 2nd family to move in.)
    Now, we have about half a dozen low-rider cars in my suburbia neighborhood, all of which have speakers that occupy half of the car, and boy are they proud of it.
    Just last week about 20 mexicans moved into the house across the street...the garage and driveway is full of cars all the time. On the street is a 1980s van with about 15 ladders on top that prevents me from whipping in and out of my driveway like I used to. We even have one of those stupid homeowners associations that is supposed to prevent this crap...evidently the people who ran it moved out already.
    Needless to say...I'm putting my house up for sale as soon as I can.
    I think low-rider cars are pretty cool. I actually enjoyed cruising down Federal Blvd on cinco de Mayo in Denver last month alongside about 500 or more low riders carrying mexican flags and playing a huge variety of mexican music. Afterwards I went to the festival in the central park there which was about 95% mexican attendence. It was a blast. As an added bonus there were no whiney neocons!
    Cell, there were no neocons there because they have jobs....
    well it was actually the weekend of cinco de mayo. so people with jobs could be there too - like me, yes I have a job, really!

actually there could have been neocons there, but the music was too loud to talk politics
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 06/10/2005 at 01:43 PM.
  6.    #66  
    Unfortunately, I think now this thread is headed where mrgarza was worried it would........

My personal experience with the Hispanic community in the US, as a whole, has been very positive. I must say, by and large, it is a humble and hard working community.

My purpose for starting this thread was to discuss the tightening of the US/Mexican border as it relates to illegal aliens as it relates to crime in the US.

Can we try to leave the racial slurs and stereo-typing out please?
    I agree, lets fight prejudice and racial discrimination here in TC!

on that note:

Did you know that there may be about 200,000 eligible latinos in Chicago who are not yet registered to vote? Here is a website that is dedicated to getting them registered. Anyone interested should check it out!

http://www.ushli.com/latinovote.asp
    What is happing in Mexico is really bad. But it just goes to show the harm that a bad govnment can do to its own people. What is being said in this thread is also very bad. I can't believe people think and feel this way in our time.

"On the street is a 1980s van with about 15 ladders on top that prevents me from whipping in and out of my driveway like I used to"

Have you tried talking to the owners of the van at all or do just sit in your house and silently hate them because you can't have fun in your car like you used to?

"Not all, majority."

Are you saying that you have met the majority of Mexicans IN THE WHOLE WORLD and this is the opinion that you have formed? You have not met me or my family. Maybe the majority of the people you work with and around are bad, but that maybe the field you work in and not the people. Or maybe the people you meet pick up on your hate and respond in kind.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    IN THE WORLD...
    #1 largest Spanish speaking city is:
    Mexico City, DF, Mexico

#2 largest Spanish speaking city is:
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Actually, I wasn't refering to Spanish speaking people in my post you quoted....rather "exotics"... <cough>transexuals<cough>
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You will have to excuse my anger in some of the posts. I'm not here to start a fight I just can't stand back and watch as stupid things are being said.

I think a lot of the poeple coming over would stop coming illegaly if they were given the chance to come and work and then go back. You have to uderstand that a lot of them are leaving behind family and friends for a chance at life. A good life.

But if you really want to stop them from coming over, then you have to punish the people who hire them. They won't come if there are no jobs.

As for ruining people's drive ways with ladders and low riders and such, this is America and if they own the land they can put what they want on it.

I love this country. I belive in it. I'm sorry that there are people in it that would poison it with bline stupid hate.

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Mrgarza: it has gotten a little heated in here but I really don't think the best thing to do is close the thread. If 'we' (I say that collectively) "come into a debate with fasle negitive assupmtions about a race of people", then put some information in here to challenge those false assumptions. That way 'we' all learn something. There is 'use' in talking about it.

Well, for the most part, how many Canadians are running across the border into the U.S. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $things$ $in$ $Mexico$ $are$ $not$ $great$, $hence$ $the$ $incentive$ $to$ $come$ $into$ $the$ $U$.$S$. ($If$ $thats$ $not$ $true$, $please$ $correct$ $me$.)

How many illegals would want to do this? If that was the only option, then they probably would (because of the higher paying jobs) but I don't think we can assume that they would 'want' to do that (going back and forth every day.) The other problem with this is that illegal immigrants just dont stay in the border states (or even 'close' to the border). I dont think we can assume that either.

I really don't think there is anyone here who actually feels that way. If you see that in the posts, please show me? (BTW-a comment like that suggests that you might not be interested in learning or teaching us anything...it just appears that you want to incite a response. If I am wrong about your intention, please tell me.)
    right on Garza!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    You will have to excuse my anger in some of the posts. I'm not here to start a fight I just can't stand back and watch as stupid things are being said.
    Unfortunately mrgarza, to mention things like "Securing the border", brands one a racist anymore. Ask the Governator here in California about that. He's slowly learning the muzzling tactics used by the "Open Borders" crowd.

Crap, forget the Governator, you all but branded me as such, without having a clue about me personally.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    you have given us a clue about you.
    you have given us a clue about you.
    Then elaborate, oh clairvoyant one. Tell me all about myself.

my last post was out of line. I am not trying to stop debate about the boarder but there are ways to debate such things
    the idea that a terrorist might get in through the border is not a happy one, but to close it just because the guy who works at the gas station speaks spanish is a waste of resources
    to say "this is america, learn english" goes agianst what america stands for. this is america speak any language you want, that is what it means to be FREE
    to say "this is america, learn english" goes agianst what america stands for. this is america speak any language you want, that is what it means to be FREE
    I would disagree. Language is the glue that keeps a nation together. If I went to Mexico to live, or Russia, or Japan, I wouldn't expect the citizenry of those countries to adapt to me. It would be my obligation to at least have the communication skills needed.

but we don't expect it because we are better ans know that diffences strengthen us. if you feel the need to comunicate with them, lean spanish. they must not feel the need to talk to you. when they do, they will have to lean
    but we don't expect it because we are better ans know that diffences strengthen us. if you feel the need to comunicate with them, lean spanish. they must not feel the need to talk to you. when they do, they will have to lean
    That's backasswards. So, I need to cater to them? Oh, but wait, here in Southern California, we have a large Asian community as well. So, now I must not only learn Spanish, but Tagalog, Japanese, Canton, Mandarin, Vietnamese...

Okay. Makes a ton of sense.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast