Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Profiling is good. When you consider one is SUPPOSED to have a command of the English language, and should know basic US history, the Declaration of Independence, etc...obviously if Miguel no habla, chances are he is illegal.

Granted there are any number of people that slither across the border to have their kids on US soil, thus giving them de facto citizenship. Which is yet another problem...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I have and you bring up a good point: If you look at the border states (save Texas), they dont have that much political clout (or electoral votes) which is one of the political reasons why this problem isnt really getting the attention that it deserves.
    I think California is a border state and it has a great deal of clout. Hmmm...Isnt John McCain from Arizonia. Not very respected I guess. New Mexico, let's see...Bill Richardson is governor and was a big Clinton **** boy so I'd say he has some clout. You sain we wouldnt talk about Texas so I guess we dont need to.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Unfortunately, CA is represented by Leftist appeasers, who would rather coddle the illegals, such as give them licenses and NOT require them to have auto insurance...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'm giving serious thought to going down to Tijuana, and sneak back across the border as Roberto!

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Profiling is good. When you consider one is SUPPOSED to have a command of the English language, and should know basic US history, the Declaration of Independence, etc...obviously if Miguel no habla, chances are he is illegal.

Granted there are any number of people that slither across the border to have their kids on US soil, thus giving them de facto citizenship. Which is yet another problem...

ahhh .. the poor Amish - guess we'll have to send them back to Germany
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    Why, arent they citizens
    If they're here illegally, yes.

I'm giving serious thought to going down to Tijuana, and sneak back across the border as Roberto!
    lol - no you'd be labeled as "exotic"
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    lol - no you'd be labeled as "exotic"
    We have those in West Hollywood...

Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Why, arent they citizens
    no no....
    many Amish don't speak English and don't have formal public achooling

so they would fit a profile of an illegal immigrant
    I'm giving serious thought to going down to Tijuana...
    Is that where the donkey is??
    no no....
    many Amish don't speak English and don't have formal public achooling

so they would fit a profile of an illegal immigrant
    I think their buggies would give them away...NO??
    Yep...unless they're bouncing up and down on hydraulics...

I know --- how unAmerican is that???
    I know --- how unAmerican is that???

Isnt U Haul an American company
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    T2, let me elaborate.
    Arrested, held in detention, tried, deported. 72 Hours. Right now they get arrested and are given a summons to appear. Would you care to hazard a a guess as to how many show up for their deportation hearings?
    I am sure not many (if given the chance.) How do you expect the courts to deal with your 72 hour timeframe? All other crimes would take a back seat in your scenario? Especially in border states where this would appear to be a bigger court-time consumer?.

Regarding the hospital care, I advocate profiling. So yes, that is based on how people look and how they speak and what papers they present. Sort of like when a cop pulls a car over that is weaving all over the road.
    This really isnt the same. A cop who pulls you over for weaving is pulling you over because you are exhibiting signs similar to someone who is drinking and driving. They arent doing this based on your skin color or gender (or shouldnt be).
    I think California is a border state and it has a great deal of clout.
    Sure, but its a blue state. Its hard to tell how much they favor closing the border (and I live here). Arnold may want to but its unclear how much support there is (he hasnt been doing all that great...btw I voted for him).

Hmmm...Isnt John McCain from Arizonia. Not very respected I guess.
    You know, that is a pretty cr*ppy thing to say. Where did I say that he wasnt respected . Without going on a complete tangent, he has gone through more than YOU or I or almost anyone else for this country and I would NEVER disrespect him. To say otherwise would be ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is he is very much a moderate. I would be willing to bet that illegal immigration is a very 'touchy' subject that he does not take lightly (someone who lives there may be able to shed some more light).

New Mexico, let's see...Bill Richardson is governor and was a big Clinton **** boy so I'd say he has some clout.
    Youre saying he has clout now? (With this current administration..You really believe that?) Even if he does, I bet he isnt that concerned about border control (as in 'shut down').

If you are making the argument that there is enough clout to support controlling the borders more (which is what you seem to be saying), then why arent they (unless they are not interested/or the state benefits too much form illegal immigration?) I would be willing to bet that citizens who have migrated over (illegally or legally) want to give the same opportunity to other friends/family. Its a tough 'sell' no matter what side of the isle you vote on.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You know, that is a pretty cr*ppy thing to say. Where did I say that he wasnt respected . Without going on a complete tangent, he has gone through more than YOU or I or almost anyone else for this country and I would NEVER disrespect him. To say otherwise would be ridiculous.
    These are your words "If you look at the border states (save Texas), they dont have that much political clout (or electoral votes) which is one of the political reasons why this problem isnt really getting the attention that it deserves.

I dont know how crappy things are, but in the light of day, it is what you said. If it was made in error, correct your statement, otherwise, I will assume that you dont believe the "border states" have any political clout.
    I stand by what I said. The border states don't have the clout or the electoral votes to do much at this point (for the reasons I stated above).

Respect is a very broad word. I didn't use it for that very reason.

When I say that those states don't have the political clout, that in no way, shape or form means that I don't respect Mr. McCain. Respect was the term you supplied.

If that was not your intent, then no harm no foul. I just want my position to be clear so the discussion can continue on a possible solution (assuming there is one).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The usual suspects have raised the reason why the Repubs are strong on the border...why do they suppose that Dems don't act on this issue? Let me help....illegal immigrants provide a source for illegal votes, as well as a burgeoning population that relies upon government assistance.

We're being screwed by both sides on this issue.
    I never said anything about repubs or dems. BOTH parties take plenty of contributions from special interests.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast