Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Was not the discovery of "dark matter" widely accepted. I found it to be sound.

The theory of matter and space continued is similar to infinity, there is no beginning or end.

This theory is no diferent than the idea of the beginning of God, except only one it true.
    Actually, I see God setting up the conditions leading to the Big Bang. He exists outside of space and time. Being outside of time, he has always existed, and already knows what is going to happen.

Am I going off topic? I guess I'm just trolling!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Actually, I see God setting up the conditions leading to the Big Bang. He exists outside of space and time. Being outside of time, he has always existed, and already knows what is going to happen.

Am I going off topic? I guess I'm just trolling!
    You are in exactly the right thread !!
    If you speed your car up to the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, the lights still move at the speed of light away from you.

Creeeeepy.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4.    #244  
    If you speed your car up to the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, the lights still move at the speed of light away from you.

Creeeeepy.

Is there a terminal velocity at which nothing can travel faster than . . . . . . . ?
    The universe is kind of shaped like a circle. Imagine being on the inside of a beach ball. If you travel fast enough in one direction, you will come back to where you started from the opposite direction.
    So if you were driving at the Indianapolis 500 making all left turns, if you could drive fast enough you would end the race making all right turns??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Is there a terminal velocity at which nothing can travel faster than . . . . . . . ?
    The speed of light. The closer you get to the speed of light, it takes more energy to move you. The more energy used, the more mass you obtain. To go as fast as the speed of light, you need an infinite amount of energy to move an infinate amount of mass. Thus, nothing (the theory goes) can travel faster than the speed of light.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    So if you were driving at the Indianapolis 500 making all left turns, if you could drive fast enough you would end the race making all right turns??
    My head hurts.
    My head hurts.
    I was trying to take your beachball example and visualize it better
  9.    #249  
    The speed of light. The closer you get to the speed of light, it takes more energy to move you. The more energy used, the more mass you obtain. To go as fast as the speed of light, you need an infinite amount of energy to move an infinate amount of mass. Thus, nothing (the theory goes) can travel faster than the speed of light.

Now, back to the car headlight thing. The headlight light is moving away from the car at the speed of light, I can buy into that. But, in reference to a static fixed point, wouldn't it be traveling at twice the speed of light since the car was moving at the speed of light, as well?

Gotcha, that stuff was moving at two times the speed of light !!
    Or not at all !!

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/15/2005 at 12:46 PM.
    Now, back to the car headlight thing. The headlight light is moving away from the car at the speed of light, I can buy into that. But, in reference to a static fixed point, wouldn't it be traveling at twice the speed of light since the car was moving at the speed of light, as well?

Gotcha, that stuff was moving at two times the speed of light !!
    Or not at all !!

Cheers, Perry
    The key is the "static fixed point" idea. There is no such thing, ever. Scientists used to think space, or the "ether" was static, and measurements could be taken against the ether. But this isn't the case.

You are standing still on the ground. But the earth is rotating, so you are moving. The earth is also revolving around the sun, which is flying around the Milky Way, which is moving through a cluster of galaxies, etc. You can only define your position "relative" to other objects. From these thoughts came Einstein's theories of relativity.

The current thinking is this: Everyone's movement is relative to another. To the car driver going 95-percent of light speed, the headlights are moving away from the car at the speed of light, not faster. To the observer, the headlights are also moving at the speed of light, not faster. Each person's perspective/speed/location is "relative" to every other person's perspective. The "time" it takes for the observer to see the event, and the "space" between the observer and the event, makes it all balance it out. If I am driving in my car at 100 mph and you are standing still, and we both shine flashlights forward, it seems to each of us that the speed of light from our respective flashlights are boty traveling at the same speed.

Every time I think about this issue, it takes about 5 minutes for my mind to wrap around the question. Then later, I can't understand it at all unless I re-conceptualize it all over again.
    I was trying to take your beachball example and visualize it better
    I guess my point was that traveling in a "straight line" through space is like traveling on the inside surface of a beach ball. It looks like you are going straight, but the space itself is curved so you come back to where you started from.

I just don't understand it all fully enough to explain it better.
    I guess my point was that traveling in a "straight line" through space is like traveling on the inside surface of a beach ball. It looks like you are going straight, but the space itself is curved so you come back to where you started from.

If the space is ever expanding, how would you get back
  13.    #253  
    The key is the "static fixed point" idea. There is no such thing, ever. Scientists used to think space, or the "ether" was static, and measurements could be taken against the ether. But this isn't the case.

You are standing still on the ground. But the earth is rotating, so you are moving. The earth is also revolving around the sun, which is flying around the Milky Way, which is moving through a cluster of galaxies, etc. You can only define your position "relative" to other objects. From these thoughts came Einstein's theories of relativity.

The current thinking is this: Everyone's movement is relative to another. To the car driver going 95-percent of light speed, the headlights are moving away from the car at the speed of light, not faster. To the observer, the headlights are also moving at the speed of light, not faster. Each person's perspective/speed/location is "relative" to every other person's perspective. The "time" it takes for the observer to see the event, and the "space" between the observer and the event, makes it all balance it out. If I am driving in my car at 100 mph and you are standing still, and we both shine flashlights forward, it seems to each of us that the speed of light from our respective flashlights are boty traveling at the same speed.

Every time I think about this issue, it takes about 5 minutes for my mind to wrap around the question. Then later, I can't understand it at all unless I re-conceptualize it all over again.
    So, if I'm outside that car (that is going the speed of light) as it goes by -- there is no light going forward from the head lights, because the speed of light is the maximum velocity of anything? The car is "catching up to headlight light" as fast as it is being projected. . . . . . from my reference point outside the car?

Cheers, Perry (aka, Mr. Linear)
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/15/2005 at 01:46 PM.
    I love this stuff

(posted from the Treo with Xiino blaxer at near light speed ,,,,,,, compared to the slow, slow, slow Treo blazer)
    So, if I'm outside that car (that is going the speed of light) as it goes by -- there is no light going forward from the head lights, because the speed of light is the maximum velocity of anything? The car is "catching up to headlight light" as fast as it is being projected. . . . . . from my reference point outside the car?

What if the headlights were turned on first? They would get a head start.

I get this,,,,

So really???? Whats outside the beachball?
  17.    #257  
    I get this,,,,

Empty space, which is nothing, unless you consider space with nothing in it, something.
    If the space is ever expanding, how would you get back
    You would have to go fast enough to outrun the expanding universe, and fast enough to get back before all of the stars burned out. (which means you would have to go faster than the speed of light, which is impossible.)

If the car is going the speed of light - I don't know. If the car is going less than the speed of light, than it looks normal to you. The lights appear from the car, and everything looks the same as if the car were doing 100 mph.
    I get this,,,,

Nothing. No space. No time. There is no outside of the beachball.