Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    But his economy could not last that long without our sales. Chavez is blowing hot air with threats that would cause such economic upheaval in his own country that he wouldn't be able to hold onto power for very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Too many threats out there these days to keep track of them all. The drive for independence from foreign oil should heat up dramatically in the not too distant future......

You mean... gasp... drilling in Alaska? But what about all those poor caribou?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    You mean... gasp... drilling in Alaska? But what about all those poor caribou?
    What would really be interesting is the development of an economically and environmentally feasible way to mine the oil from the Shale in the US - estimates are there 800 Billion barrels of oil......would surely render ME Oil mealingless.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    North Korea can stockpile all the nukes they want, what harm is that to us? The USSR had tons on nuclear weapons, one was never fired as an act of war. The Cold Was was more a threat than North Korea is now.

North Korea will not strike the US, other that is does not have the technology, it would be suiside. The US would obliterate them.

Iraq on the other hand could strike someday, but any retaliation or preemtive strike would be very strategic so as to not harm their natural resources. to obliterate Iran would be foolish.

Pakstan has nukes, so does India, China, France, South Africa, Russia, ??? go ahead and add North Korea... I don't think it matters much.

We should have worked with them via diplomatic channels that were set up when Clinton was in office when we had the chance though...
    Uh, have you ever thought that maybe NK would SELL some of their nukes? They've already sold the Iranians missile technology that will soon be able to threaten Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    What would really be interesting is the development of an economically and environmentally feasible way to mine the oil from the Shale in the US - estimates are there 800 Billion barrels of oil......would surely render ME Oil mealingless.
    That will never happen as long as "environmentally feasible" is defined by those on the left of the aisle. As long as Republicans are de facto the anti-green party they'll always be on the defensive which means that the left will always be in the position of defining the meaning of environmentally friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    That will never happen as long as "environmentally feasible" is defined by those on the left of the aisle. As long as Republicans are de facto the anti-green party they'll always be on the defensive which means that the left will always be in the position of defining the meaning of environmentally friendly.
    True - funny how that could change however if the price of gas increases too much further as they would risk losing their constituency.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    "This administration had Iraq on their agenda..."

What was the name of the legislation passed during Clinton's tenure? Something about the bi-partisan change the government in Iraq act of 1999 or something like that?
    Through an internal Iraqi process? Let's not leave that part out.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yes, the Clinton era, where a mortal threat was allowed to fester unchecked. When we issued subpoenas and edicts and talked tough while Islamofacism stalked us. Where the Red Chinese gained MIRV technology and when the North Koreans went nuclear.

Those were the days.
    Ooooooooo,,,,,,,, watch out for that percieved mortal threat........ be sure NOT to listen to your counter terrorism guy, or check your PDBs, maybe you should go clear some brush, or read 'My Pet Goat'. That is the way you handle terrorism right?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    they (republicans, confederates as I put it) did there best to get him impeached...ha,ha didn't happen.
    Actually, he was impeached by the House, just wasn't removed from office by the Senate:

Clinton was impeached on two counts, grand jury perjury (228–206) and obstruction of justice (221–212).
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Why did Clinton fail to get Bin Laden??? We can ask the question all day, or we can stand up to the terror regimes and start reducing the threat. Our choice.

The problem now is that by going onto Iraq, we have created a vacuum, were terror is now worse than it was before. Going into Iraq had nothing to do with Osama.

W said when he was running the 1st time, we should not be nation buiding...yet that is exactly what we are doing. Yet, terrorist are being trained there now right in the open. Even the Bush admistration, begrugingly admitted that terror has been on a upswing world wide since we went into Iraq.

The other issue, is that in the selling of Iraqi war, it was suppposed to pay for itself with thier oil money, we were going to be hoisted on the shoulders of the Iraqi people and we would be in and out very quickly, the war would be very short and that we could win this with an air war only. This are exactly what the ec of def. and the VEEP said. yet, we are there now for several years, we have several 1000's of our poeple and anywhere form 30,000 to 100,000 Iraqi's...we have no exit stag., including the fact that W said, it will change with this election or that election, or things will get better when they vote on the constitituion. The bottom line is THAT WE HAVE NO EXIT STRAG. no matter if we beleive that Bush's own intelligence was flawed or that Clinton's was. The bottom line is, that we have made things worse and with no end in siight. Now the sec. of def. and the sec of state, are trying to justify it by saying "he gasses his own people, etc. (which is a horroible thing to have done), yet if that is the best they can come up with, I can say we are not the world's police and very unfortunatley worse things are happening all over the world than that.

It was a fiasco from start up and until now with no way out and no end in sight!

The bottom line, is one of the main reasons we went into Iraq this time and the only reasion we did last time was because of OIL. It is very Ironic, that we did have a governemnt program that ws working on synthetic fuels. That takes years, and in fact decades of work. The only thing is that Ronnie and Papa Bush killed it off.

Yet, the next thing you know we Papa Bush has us in a war over Oil. Oil prices have shot up here so since W is prez.

Now we have a huge debt, thanks to W and his tax cuts, which he is still cutting and a medicare RX program that is so expensive and hardly covers anything, (trust me I am disabled and on Medicare. I can buy 100 days of many of my RX's in Canada for less than 30 days worth are going to cost thru the medicare rx program). The irony over the tax cuts, that is so many were so gung ho for them, but the very vast majority of them were for the very, very well to do. Now how are we supposed to pay for decades of energy research. (it will take years and years iof work and that is a quote for a dear frind, she has a PHd in chem engeenring. Speficly she was turning high sulfur coal and shale oil into a a clena buring, low emission fuel. She had to abandon her work, when Ronnie pulled the plug. Yet, we are now even more dependant on forgien fuel then ever.

I strongly believe that if we were energy indep. for years, that 9/11 would not have happened.

So lets see, it all boils down to a war that turns out to be about oil, terror training and terro activities in Iraq and around the world and a major upswing and the debt and deficit are endless that oir childrens, childrens' cheldren will be paying off...but W is great prez...yeah sure!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    This is pretty big news....why so little coverage? This has a direct relationship to those claiming Saddam was willing to come clean with his WMD weapons, programs to produce them, and his desire to obtain them again. This also has a an impact on the question about if expections were productive or not.

EXCLUSIVE: The Secret Tapes -- Inside Saddam's Palace

ABC News Obtains 12 Hours of Recordings of Saddam Hussein Meeting With Top Aides

Saddam talked of WMD attack in U.S.
    Tapes show him ‘almost obsessed’ with weapons

I listened to an 30 min interview today of the guy who originally found this, listened to it, and translated it. This is where I first heard about this. He said that many of the MSM is actually reporting it wrong (or more accurately misinterrepting it) or with slants. For example he said that Saddam and his aides were actually discussing how to basically outsource attacks against the US through terrorist groups so that Iraq would not be fingered. They talked about how terrorist could make these attacks, IE. bio, chem, or nuke. They bragged about "how well we were able to hide" certain weapons that could be classified as WMDs.

He was glad this information is getting out, but also frustrated at either the lack of attention it is getting and on how it is being reported.
    I am still amazed at the lack of attention of this. But there was suppose to be a big announcement this morning on it.....has anyone heard anything yet?
    Boy you lumped in 8 different thread topics in this one post.......
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    The problem now is that by going onto Iraq, we have created a vacuum, were terror is now worse than it was before. Going into Iraq had nothing to do with Osama.
    Who said it did. One of the big reasons was the strong possibility that he has WMDs that he would be willing to share with others who would use them against us.

Syria, is a huge threat and the same "Vacuum" would have been created there. Iran poses a major threat now and if we had gone after Iran, the same "vacuum" would have been created there as well....but several times worse IMHO.....and we still wouldn't know for sure if Saddam still had his bio or chem weapons or if he was developing nuke capabilities.

Or if we have done nothing, could we not be facing an Iraq with unknown WMD capabilities AND and Iran with building nuke capabilities. What spot would we be in then?

If you ask the questions about Iraq, you have to ask all the other questions that would have followed if we did not go in when we did.

W said when he was running the 1st time, we should not be nation buiding...yet that is exactly what we are doing.
    Um....I am not sure if you noticed but A LOT of things changed after our rose colored glasses were shattered on 9/11.

Yet, terrorist are being trained there now right in the open. Even the Bush administration, begrugingly admitted that terror has been on a upswing world wide since we went into Iraq.
    Have you noticed the last 5 months or so....it has declined! Some things take time and are worth fighting for. Look at the Soviet Union and their desire to spread Comm around the world. The left screamed for years that they could not be beat. It was here to stay. We need to learn to live with it, and it was useless to fight against it. How long did the cold war last? And thanks a great deal to Reagan's fight against it, it not only collapsed, but I think in many aspects caught us off guard with how fast it happened, when if finally did.

The other issue, is that in the selling of Iraqi war, it was supposed to pay for itself with their oil money, we were going to be hoisted on the shoulders of the Iraqi people and we would be in and out very quickly, the war would be very short and that we could win this with an air war only. This are exactly what the ec of def. and the VEEP said. yet, we are there now for several years, we have several 1000's of our poeple and anywhere form 30,000 to 100,000 Iraqi's...we have no exit stag., including the fact that W said, it will change with this election or that election, or things will get better when they vote on the constitituion. The bottom line is THAT WE HAVE NO EXIT STRAG. no matter if we beleive that Bush's own intelligence was flawed or that Clinton's was. The bottom line is, that we have made things worse and with no end in siight. Now the sec. of def. and the sec of state, are trying to justify it by saying "he gasses his own people, etc. (which is a horroible thing to have done), yet if that is the best they can come up with, I can say we are not the world's police and very unfortunatley worse things are happening all over the world than that.
    I cannot fault that there are concerns with the way the situation was handled after we conquered Saddam. We did a lot things wrong, did not expect a lot of things, and was not supported as needed in the beginning.

But you have to also recognize we have done a lot of things right and good over there as well. If you look at the once never ending Good/Bad Iraq thread you will see loads of examples of what we did good over there as well.

It was a fiasco from start up and until now with no way out and no end in sight!
    No end in sight? The attacks are down. We have held several elections over there. A gov is not just being established, but rather finalized. Iraqi forces are in full control of as much as 40% of the force against the terrorists in their country now. Corruption in their police force is being recognized and addressed.

You cannot honestly say that we are in the same boat today as the day Saddam's statue came down.

The bottom line, is one of the main reasons we went into Iraq this time and the only reason we did last time was because of OIL. It is very Ironic, that we did have a government program that was working on synthetic fuels. That takes years, and in fact decades of work. The only thing is that Ronnie and Papa Bush killed it off.

Yet, the next thing you know we Papa Bush has us in a war over Oil. Oil prices have shot up here so since W is prez.
    So are you against the US in the first Gulf War? Of course Oil was a major reason in the first war. Saddam was trying to grab more of it.

Oil is a national security issue and a core economic stability issue with the US. Those are two very strong areas to protect.

Now we have a huge debt, thanks to W and his tax cuts, which he is still cutting and a medicare RX program that is so expensive and hardly covers anything, (trust me I am disabled and on Medicare. I can buy 100 days of many of my RX's in Canada for less than 30 days worth are going to cost thru the medicare rx program). The irony over the tax cuts, that is so many were so gung ho for them, but the very vast majority of them were for the very, very well to do. Now how are we supposed to pay for decades of energy research. (it will take years and years iof work and that is a quote for a dear frind, she has a PHd in chem engeenring. Speficly she was turning high sulfur coal and shale oil into a a clena buring, low emission fuel. She had to abandon her work, when Ronnie pulled the plug. Yet, we are now even more dependant on forgien fuel then ever.
    I have two friends who are economic majors, one is a college teacher. They are both pretty mainstream, they lean to the right on some issues and to the left on others. They each have stated that the economic benefits of tax cuts are real and often wonder how politicians can scew the numbers otherwise. But this is not the thread for that. If you want a tax cut decision, start another thread.

What programs are cut is another thread issue again.

I strongly believe that if we were energy indep. for years, that 9/11 would not have happened.
    You cannot be serious. Maybe if we had been indep for 30 plus years prior to that. Of course our freedom to respond to such threats would certainly be different if we were not depend on their oil.

So lets see, it all boils down to a war that turns out to be about oil, terror training and terro activities in Iraq and around the world and a major upswing and the debt and deficit are endless that oir childrens, childrens' cheldren will be paying off...but W is great prez...yeah sure!
    It is a time of WAR. Is this not a reality? Many of the same type of arguments were used for not getting involved in WWII....which is why it took us 3 years and a homeland attack to finally join. It is their fight over there, let them sort it out. It has nothing to do with us. It is only about the money or the political power. It will cost to much and our children, and their children's children, for several generations will have to pay the bill for FDR's personal interest in getting into the war that not being fought on our land...etc....

Oil is a national security issue and is probably the only one single item that could crash our whole economy. If either of those are threatened, then yes we need to protect ourselves. Saddam going to Kuwait is a good example. There are different measures that can be taken from diplomacy, to sanctions, to military force.....all of which were used with Iraq.

It is also about keeping WMDs away from terrorist orgs. Which is one of the main reasons Iran has jumped itself into the spotlight again recently.
    Dear Hobs if we pull out now or when we leave the landscape of Iraq will change again and I doubt for the better. We will have to have a large presednce there forever I am afraid. As far as the terroist activities in Iraq being down, It seems to bt cyclical and I would not want to prounounce it a victory as of yet.

BTW youa re right about things changing however, since you yourself have said W never said that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 then why are we there and why are we nation building there?

It is a vacious little circle where youa nd I will ever give an inch! Take care, Jay

BTW if it is about keeping WMD out of terrrist hands, which WMS saddams, the ones he did not have and may never have had? I think you need to give the former sec. of state's comments and those of his aides, since he left office!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Through an internal Iraqi process? Let's not leave that part out.
    Riiight. And how do you think that "internal process" was to come about?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Ooooooooo,,,,,,,, watch out for that percieved mortal threat........ be sure NOT to listen to your counter terrorism guy, or check your PDBs, maybe you should go clear some brush, or read 'My Pet Goat'. That is the way you handle terrorism right?
    Do you think that if Bush had a chance to nab Bin Laden in the first eight months of his office he would have turned it down? We know Gore would have.
    Do you think that if Bush had a chance to nab Bin Laden in the first eight months of his office he would have turned it down? We know Gore would have.
    If you can read what would have or should have been, how come you did not win the powerball lottery? No one knows what Gore or anyone else would have done. Especially those who do not know Gore personally!
    Uh...because Gore was #2 in an administration that passed twice on getting bin Laden?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Ah, the last refuge of a weak debate; "...Clinton did/did not ....".

Read the rest of the post. It is a tired argument all the way around, just an easy way to target current admin. Remember a few of the terror attacks before Bush?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Gee hobbes I thought the deaths and terror were letting up in Iraq:

take care, jay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 20, 2006
    Attacks Kill 20 in Iraq as U.S. Warns Against Divisions
    By ROBERT F. WORTH
    and JOHN O'NEIL
    BAGHDAD, Iraq, Feb. 20 — At least 20 people were killed in insurgent attacks today, including a Marine, as Iraq's political factions remained at odds, and the American ambassador renewed warnings against the formation of a government based on militias and sectarian movements.

Talks on forming a unity government had stalled over the weekend as deep divisions between different factions had become apparent.

Also today, the governor of the province of Karbala in the Shiite south announced that he was suspending all dealings with American troops and barring them from government buildings for "behaving irresponsibly."

Two suicide bombs accounted for most of the deaths today. At about 7:20 a.m., a man blew himself up in a restaurant near a police station in the northern city of Mosul, killing six people and injuring at least six, according to officials from the Iraqi Interior Ministry. At midday, another bomber set off an explosion on a bus in Baghdad, killing 12 people and wounding 15, the officials said.

The Marine was killed when his vehicle struck a roadside bomb near the southern city of Karbala, the American military said in a statement.

Gunmen killed an employee of a hospital in Baquba in the country's south, and a car bomb near a construction site in Baghdad injured more than 20 workers, Iraqi officials said.

The violence brought the two-day death toll from insurgent attacks to at least 37.

The sectarian violence, including a stream of abductions and killings in the capital, has heightened tensions between ethnic groups and magnified the challenges facing Iraq's major political factions, which are struggling to agree on the principles of a unity government.

Zalmay Khalilzad, the American ambassador, underscored the stakes of the current talks at a press conference today at which he repeated his earlier warnings that a government dominated by sectarian interests would risk losing the support of the United States.

"The ministers of interior, defense, national intelligence, the national security adviser, have to be people who are nonsectarian, broadly acceptable, not tied to militias, that will work for all Iraqis," he said.

"The United States is investing billions of dollars into these forces, military and police forces of Iraq," he said. "We are not going to invest the resources of the American people into forces run by people who are sectarian."

And he warned that a government split between rival sects could degenerate into the "warlordism" that has plagued Aghanistan for decades.

But disagreements over the relative power of different sects are exactly what has slowed the talks. The Kurds and the secular alliance led by Ayad Allawi, a former prime minister, are pushing for the creation of a supervisory council with executive powers. But the Shiite alliance, which has 130 of the Parliament's 275 seats, has resisted, saying there is no basis for such a council in the Constitution.

Some Shiite leaders want to exclude Mr. Allawi from the government, a demand the Kurds say they will not accept. There has also been friction over the issue of Kirkuk, where Kurdish leaders want to expedite the return of Kurds expelled by Saddam Hussein. That has angered some Sunni Arab leaders and the followers of the Shiite cleric Moktada al-Sadr, who have a substantial bloc in the Shiite alliance. Mr. Sadr is also critical of Kurdistan's quasi-independent status.

On Saturday, in a rare interview on Al Jazeera, Mr. Sadr said, "The wealth of Kirkuk belongs to all Iraqis," and added pointedly, "No one has the right to demand a region."

Under the Constitution, Parliament must meet for the first time by Saturday, 15 days after the final results of the December elections were certified. At that meeting, the representatives must choose a speaker and deputy speakers.

But political leaders say the choice of a speaker is tied to decisions on all the other major posts, including president and the prime minister's cabinet. Meeting the deadline is unlikely at this point, with various factions bogged down in disagreements over policy and the distribution of crucial posts.

"We don't want to violate the Constitution before our first meeting," said Mahmoud Othman, an independent Kurdish representative.

The governor in Karbala, Dr. Akeel al-Khazali, cut off dealings with American forces after they had failed to "respect the security elements in the province," and had brought police dogs into government buildings, a aide to the governor said today.

"We are going to escalate things against them" the aide said.

Last week, the city council in Basra cut off contacts with the British military after the broadcast of a video that showed soldiers beating Iraqi teenagers there.

The bombing in the Mosul restaurant today followed a pattern in which insurgents often attack locations at which police officers or recruits gather.

One of the injured, Muhammad Tharwat, said that more than 25 people had been crowded into the restaurant before the attack, including three police recruits at one table. Mr. Thurwar said he was with two of his cousins when the bomb went off.

"I could not hear anything and there was heavy smoke in the restaurant but I noticed a light from the main door and then I got out," he said. "When I got out I thanked God that I had not got hurt, but I remembered my cousins."

When he shouted for them, only one responded. The two of them searched and found the other cousin just as he was losing consciousness, and drove him to the hospital, Mr. Tharwat said.

The bus bombing took place at 12:30 p.m. in the Kadimiya section of central Baghdad, Iraqi officials said.

The bomb just as the vehicle left a bus stop. Rescue workers said the dead had been so badly burned that they could not immediately say how many were men and how many were women.

On Sunday, in northern Baghdad, the owner of an ice cream shop was shot dead outside his store, an Interior Ministry official said. A policeman, an Iraqi Army soldier and a paramilitary officer were killed by gunmen in three shootings, the official said.

Also in Baghdad, a car bomb killed two people and wounded five near a Shiite political office in the Jadiriya district, The Associated Press reported. One of the dead and three of the wounded were police officers.

North of the capital in Taji, gunmen killed four truck drivers after ambushing a convoy carrying construction materials to an American military base, Interior Ministry officials said. South of Baghdad in the town of Salman Pak, two men who had been kidnapped days earlier were found dead, the police said. Not far away in Mahmudiya, a car bomb detonated on a police patrol, wounding two policemen.

Two bombs also exploded in the western city of Falluja, wounding three policemen and two civilians, witnesses and police officials said.

In Kirkuk, the deputy police chief and two bodyguards were killed by a roadside bomb, the police said. The officer, Brig. Hatem Khalaf Matrood al-Obaidi, was the highest-ranking Sunni Arab in the police department in Kirkuk, where tensions between Kurds and Sunni Arabs are high.

In Baquba, north of Baghdad, a police official said four people, all Shiites, were gunned down in a public market, in what appeared to be the latest of a series of sectarian killings.

Also on Sunday, American officials confirmed the crash in northern Iraq of a private plane carrying five German businessmen and an Iraqi. The businessmen worked for a Bavarian company, and their plane had been en route from Azerbaijan to Sulaimaniya when it crashed in the mountains of eastern Kurdistan on Thursday. There were no indications of what caused the crash.

The violence occurred as about 2,000 students demonstrated in Baquba against the Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad. No one was injured, police officials said.

Robert F. Worth reported for this article from Baghdad and John O'Neil from New York. Reporting was contributed by Mona Mahmoud and Khalid al-Ansary from Baghdad and Iraqi employees of The New York Times from Mosul, Kirkuk and Falluja.

Copyright 2006The New York Times Company Home Privacy Policy Search Corrections XML Help Contact Us Work for Us Site Map Back to Top
    BTW youa re right about things changing however, since you yourself have said W never said that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 then why are we there and why are we nation building there?
    I don't know how many times I have stated why on this thread alone. Go back a page or two and I even responded to one of your posts and for your convenience linked to a bunch of posts where I answered various ways others have asked this question over and over again.

Gee hobbes I thought the deaths and terror were letting up in Iraq:

take care, jay
    Do you live by snapshots and chosen examples to prove a desired point?

No one ever said there is still not terrorism in Iraq or that it will end next week or that it will not pick back up again. Only that since last Oct (5 months) a trend has shown a significant reduction.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/21/2006 at 09:25 AM.