Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Quit dancing and answer.
    It was your statement, "the church." I was just curious what you were talking about, so why should I have to guess? Did you already forget the point you were trying to make??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    and I am staying clear of this......
    Whats a matter devil boy? Are you happy to have your work being carried out by the judge?
    Post 2

In reference to freedom of religion, I must say that my religion is highly misunderstood. Many don't see it as a religion. Many people hear the word wicca and just think of witchcraft. This is of course exacerbated by the fact that new wiccans like to call themselves witches and leave it at that, but wicca is about so much more than the craft. In fact, for me, the craft is the smallest part of it. My guess is that the judge you told me about doesn't understand that wicca is a recognized religion in the United States. Recognized and protected, like any other religion. (Therefore, I believe his ruling will be overturned.) He and those who gave reports about the family probably believe that wicca is only about magic and "satan."

You asked what wicca really is . It is a very personal religion. Solitary
    practioners, like myself, may have different beliefs from those who practice in groups. But in general, it is a religion that honors nature. We believe the higher power is in all things and that we can attune ourselves with the higher power because we all have a connection to the universe. Some wiccans believe in one god, others believe in many. I think everyone is right. I believe there is one higher power that has many facets to its personality and this is from where all the different gods and goddesses come. They are
    all pieces of the same all powerful being that Christians and Muslims and
    Jews worship. One difference that I see between many wiccans (but not all) and Christians is that we (or at least I) don't believe in an ultimate evil. I don't believe Satan exists...I don't believe in Hell. Other than that, I don't think I have any real conflicting beliefs with any of the world's religions. My beliefs fit very nicely with everyone else's. So, I just can't understand why people are so afraid of my beliefs.

No Satan and no Hell...hardly sounds "evil" to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    I must say, this is probably the broadest most intollerent statement I believe I've ever read. Can I assume it was not well thought out but rather an emotional knee-jerk reaction - or am I reading more into the statement than exists?
    I get that way when people make an argument that religion is NEEDED in order for civil society to exist.

The statement was in response to "There will be lawlessness everywhere if the world wasn't being controlled and run by religious people basing their actions on their religious beliefs ..." or something like that :-) Like defending that activist judge in Indiana.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Whats a matter devil boy? Are you happy to have your work being carried out by the judge?
    You carry out my work without me...
    Pick one that relies on the bible.
    I'm pleased that you posted this, because I did not want to be the first to bring up the real issue here.

People don't have a problem with religion in general. The problem is with Christianity. Why? Because Christianity presupposes people as "flawed" and in need of restoration. And it has the audacity to espouse Jesus' boolean claim that He is the one way to the Father (Singular, definite articles don't leave much wiggle room). Then to add insult to injury, the claim is that there are eternal consequences of the stand one takes in regards to that boolean claim to boot.

No other religion makes such claims. At worst, you have to come back in a lower state and try again. At best, you continue to advance to enlightenment. Or, at least, your existence simply comes to an inconsequential end.

And, no that is not a chip on my shoulder, it is a cross that I voluntarily bear.
    Last edited by shopharim; 05/27/2005 at 11:57 AM.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    You carry out my work without me...
    What task shall I carry out for you my lord?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Post 1

Just to address the original topic of this thread, I asked my cousin, who is Wiccan, what her definition of paganism is. She had this to say:

I believe pagan is a word that mainstream religions apply to non-believers. If I look in the dictionary, I find that pagan means
    1. One who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, especially a worshiper of a polytheistic religion.
    2. One who has no religion.
    3. A non-Christian.
    4. A hedonist.
    5. A Neo-Pagan.

Essentially, the dictionary says that anyone (wiccan, agnostic, atheist, etc.) who does not follow the beliefs of the mainstream religions is pagan.

Now, many wiccans call themselves pagan. I even call myself pagan on
    occasion when trying to explain my religion to someone from a mainstream faith. I use the word because those from mainstream faiths (I'll just say Christians from now on, because I mostly deal with Christians.) have an easier time understanding the word "pagan" than the word "wiccan." I'm not particularly fond of the word though. I try not to use it. As I said, I believe it to be a word applied to non-believers. Today's pagans use the word because they chose to reappropriate it. If they start calling themselves pagans, eventually it won't be such a bad word. Of course, it never entirely works. The people who use it as negative word, still believe it to have negative connotations. And the people who have never heard the word will learn its connotation from whomever utters it in their presence first. I know we can all think of other reappropriated words and we can all realize that reappropriation doesn't always work. (Except perhaps in the case of the word "*****," but I digress.)
    You are incorrect wiccans do have religion.

Wicca is a religion, and someone who follows that religion is called a Wiccan. Sometimes it can be difficult to accurately define Wicca, and not all Wiccans will define themselves the same way. Observing the 8 Wiccan Sabbats, honoring the Gods and/or Goddesses, creating sacred space for rituals, to name a few. Many traditional Wiccans also feel that belonging to a coven is also a requirement and that those who practice their religion as a solitary, should not refer to themselves as Wiccan. Personally, I'm still not sure on that point. Typical Wiccans also practice magick, and therefore are also witches.

http://paganwiccan.about.com/cs/what...iccanwitch.htm
    Funny :-)

I realised the humor when I saw your avatar (a Hindi word, by the way.. meaning "incarnation")
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Thank you !
    What task shall I carry out for you my lord?
    Stay the course...
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Therein lies the strength of science.. The ability to correct itself when confronted with irrefutable evidence.

Compare that with "faith" and "belief".
    Faith (biblical faith, anyway) is a confidence which endures amidst the duration between the time of the promise and the time of fulfillment.

Belief is a confidence that may or may not be be substantiated.
    Not to nitpick but when was the last time the church has admitted they were wrong and then changed their stance because of new information?
    The church pardoned Galileo in 1992. Just in case anyone was curious. They started the "pardoning process" in 1978. It took them THAT long.
    Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Chicken
    tastes like..?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The church pardoned Galileo in 1992. Just in case anyone was curious. They started the "pardoning process" in 1978. It took them THAT long.
    Not much fanfare around that one huh?
    Not much fanfare around that one huh?
    I see a little silhouetto of a man
    Scaramouch, scaramouch will you do the fandango
    Thunderbolt and lightning - very very frightening me
    Gallileo, Gallileo,
    Gallileo, Gallileo,
    Gallileo Figaro - magnifico
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Funny :-)

I realised the humor when I saw your avatar (a Hindi word, by the way.. meaning "incarnation")
    All this time, I thought his name was D L Brummels
    Which church??
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Which church??
    I thoroughly enjoy your persistence. And, I happen to find this a most profound question.