1.    #1  
    I love my visor, but the other day i wandered over to circuit city. I started to play with the Ipaq and just fell in love. I have a few questions, cause i know you own a pocket pc. Is it worth it for the color, is it more than just a cool factor? Ive been looking and it doesnt seem like there are a lot of apps for the pocket pc, and the some that there are seem cost a fortune? Also, the ipaq does have 32 megs, but ive thought it over and that just doesnt seem like a lot. I want to have mp3s on there, but then i noticed that the apps are 2-3 megs each. and these progz are semi small. Is 32 megs really enough to download as many files as i want?
    The nerds will have their revenge!!!
    Hi Skaman35,

I'll try to answer this as directly as possible.

Originally posted by skaman35
    Is it worth it for the color, is it more than just a cool factor?
    Is color worth it? That depends on the user. Some people claim they actually hate color due to its higher power consumption and added cost. So I can't give you a yes or no answer. Yes, color does have certain downsides such as compromising extended battery life. But I should also point out the iPAQ has better battery life than the Palm IIIc. Basically, I chose color because it makes screen readability so much easier. Until you've used/owned a color device, you never realize just how much you may be squinting your eyes or turning your Visor in different directions to catch ambient light. It makes a huge impact on ease of use. And of course color does, at times, offer better information display, such as using red to indicate a conflicting appointments.

So, is it just the cool factor? Maybe for some, but not for me. I chose an iPAQ for several reasons:
    a.) superior PIM
    b.) Pocket Office apps
    c.) color display (readable indoors and outdoors)
    d.) better syncing with Windows and Outlook
    e.) Digital audio and ebooks

For right now, Pocket PC is the clear choice for color, simply based on one key aspect: Pixel resolution. Right now the Palm OS runs at 160x160 pixels. Perfectly fine for grayscale displays, but it looks awful on color. At this resolution you can actually see the dead space in between each pixel, which produces a sort of heavy grid-like pattern on the screen. As I've said before, it's like sticking your face right up to your monitor and staring at each pixel.

Pocket PCs run at 320x240 pixels, which yield much clearer and smoother images and text. And because higher resolutions deliver more text on the screen, reading a web page on your Pocket PC is very much like reading a page on your desktop.

For now, Pocket PC is the clear winner in terms of color rendering and resolution. But that may not always be the case.

I've been looking and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of apps for the pocket pc, and the some that there are seem cost a fortune?
    That is certainly true for now, but this is slowly changing. Unlike Microsoft's last failed version of WinCE, developers are warming up to Pocket PC (WinCE 3.0). This time around there seems to be an increasing number of Palm developers who are developing PocketPC versions of their popular apps. Just last week TomeRaider became available for PocketPCs, and Pocket Money, Pocket Quicken, and HanDBase will soon follow. So, the future looks brighter...this time.

Bottom line: If you need access to your favorite Palm apps, then I would recommend sticking with your Visor for the time being. I wouldn't make a switch until you feel comfortable in making the transition.

Also, the iPAQ does have 32 megs, but ive thought it over and that just doesnt seem like a lot. I want to have mp3s on there, but then i noticed that the apps are 2-3 megs each.
    I don't know what apps your referring to, but I have never encountered 2MB programs! The largest app I've been running weighs in at 700Kb. However, there is no denying that WinCE apps tend to run larger than their Palm counterparts. Palm apps tend to have much less over-head and are made to run on leaner hardware. Pocket PC apps, generally, are larger and utilize color much more heavily. They are also compiled for beefier hardware. That is why WinCE apps seem to be greater in size.

In this regard, the Palm OS is the clear winner. No question!

Is 32 megs really enough to download as many files as i want?
    That depends on your usage pattern. If you use your Pocket PC in the same way you use your Visor (As I do), then yes it will be enough. Generally, I use my iPAQ as a PIM device and an entertainment device (MP3s and ebooks). Pocket PCs come with a desktop application called "Windows Media Manager". Basically, it transfers and converts MP3s into WMA (Windows Media format) files. It can take a 5MB MP3 and convert it into a 1.5MB WMA file, without any loss in audio quality. Normally, I keep six or seven audio tracks on my device. If you are hell bent on using your handheld as an MP3 player for hours of listening, I suggest one that has a built-in expansion slot. The only real drawback to the iPAQ is that it has no media storage slot. In my opinion, they should have at least integrated an MM slot.

Bottom line: Palm based devices are still more practical in many ways. They have a broader range of software, and are more widely supported. At this point I recommend waiting for another couple weeks to see what Handspring has developed. If, after that time, the Visor still doesn't live up to your desires, then you may want to consider a Pocket PC. But my best advice is; Don't jump ship unless you really want one.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Hi Skaman35,

I chose an iPAQ for several reasons:
    Didn't you say you sold your iPaq on eBay for a profit?
    I did. This is my second iPAQ. Originally I was considering purchasing a Mac for graphics and web design work tasks. I went back to a Palm IIIxe in order to sync with both a Mac and PC. But after spending some time in Mac environments, I decided that it wasn't very practical, at least for my work. My friend at Circuit City heard me lamenting on how I missed my iPAQ and mentioned having two unclaimed special orders in the stock room. He said if the recipients didn't pick them up by the end of the following week, I could have one.

During that time I decided to ditch the IIIxe and try out a Clie, which I also ended up purchasing.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    I did. This is my second iPAQ.
    Ah -- gotcha.