1.    #1  
    For all things tragic and stupid these days. Texas is closing in:Whitey strikes again
    Tragic? Tragic is an airliner slamming into a building packed with people. That's tragic. This is more like "unfortunate".

Stupid? Sort of, but not in an evil way. Reading the article it seems that the year book staff put that description in until they could determine who was in the picture. Then it wasn't taken out before it went to press.

Floriduh is still #1 for stupid.
  3.    #3  
    yeah, i didn't mean this article was tragic. worded it wrong. maybe it's tragic in a loose sense of the word.

either way, the mistake made was not intentionally evil, but that's the level of racism that exists foremost in our society today- not the open, finger pointing kind, but the subtle kind, and in this case just because someone was plain ignorant. Ignorant meaning not very self or socially aware.
    The fact that she was the only non white person in the group, should have meant she was the most easily identified person in the group. That "placeholder" was not accidental and speaks volumes.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    either way, the mistake made was not intentionally evil, but that's the level of racism that exists foremost in our society today- not the open, finger pointing kind, but the subtle kind, and in this case just because someone was plain ignorant. Ignorant meaning not very self or socially aware.
    I don't necessarily agree with that.....If, as stated earlier, she is the only black girl in school...then "black girl" IS the most practical description. This is another step to the extreme...but a femanist could say that why is she described as a "girl"? That's sexism....a black "person" would be a more PC description as a temporary place holder. That just seems obsurd....but the "sex" card isn't played nearly as often as the "race" card.

If this was done on purpose...I'd whole-heartedly agree that it was racist. If it was done by accident, then the results are unfortunate, but I see nothing vicious about it. Just unfortunate. Will I ever know if it was purpose or not? No. I think it was an accident and I feel the reaction is a typical over-reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    The fact that she was the only non white person in the group, should have meant she was the most easily identified person in the group. That "placeholder" was not accidental and speaks volumes.
    Not necessarily....if you have a few hundred folks in a school and only one black girl.....there's definately a chance that you know OF the girl but not know her name. I've known goth people before and skater kids before when there were a minority (came from a small highschool of ~120 graduating class) and I referred to them as that skater kid or that goth chick. Did I know of them? Yes....did I want to get to know them personally...not really. Did I know their names....Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Floriduh is still #1 for stupid.

I thought you'd kinda like them because of their gun laws
    There're definitely many places in this state that need some modernization. http://www.hr95.org/tulia.htm
    I'm going to get flamed for this one but here goes....

I think this is just another blown-out-of-proportion / carelessly innocent mistake that was overlooked by the editor.
    If all the kids had brown or blonde hair, except for one red head, it could have just as easy read 'red head boy/girl' and no one would have said anything.
    The article quotes her as being embarrassed. Why would anyone be embarrassed about what color their skin is? You are who you are and be proud of your heritage whether you are black, white, yellow or purple. However, it is unfortunate that there are so many idiots out there who do stereotype/prejudge people....but I think that's everyone's collective mistake for allowing stereotyping to continue for so long and that people continue to make a big deal about things like this.
    If society wants this problem to go away, we need to stop drawing attention to the issue and just educate people better. There are successful people in this world from all races and are proud to represent their race at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    The article quotes her as being embarrassed. Why would anyone be embarrassed about what color their skin is?
    If I worked hard to be an honor student and to reward my efforts the school yearbook omits my name, I would be embarrassed too........of my lame-brain school!

It is interesting that there were 49 white students who got their name printed correctly but the only black student was not, I am not sure how anyone can be so quick to jump to the conclusion that this was a random accident or innocent mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    "If it was a placeholder, why would you put that?" Jones asked. "Anything else would have worked for me but that."
    I find this quote interesting. Taken literally, Ms. Jones would have been fine if the placeholder identified her as "that blankety-blank-blank" or "what's-her-name" or "that *$#!$!^." However, "black girl" is embarassing.

While I could go into a lengthy treatise about the use of a few select colors as a means of categorizing people, and the social implications of the terms "black" and "white" in particular, instead, I congratulate Ms. Jones and her classmates on their achieving eligibility for the National Honor Society. As a former member, I appreciate what it takes to achieve such.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    If I worked hard to be an honor student and to reward my efforts the school yearbook omits my name, I would be embarrassed too........of my lame-brain school!

It is interesting that there were 49 white students who got their name printed correctly but the only black student was not, I am not sure how anyone can be so quick to jump to the conclusion that this was a random accident or innocent mistake.
    Likewise, I am not sure how anyone can be so quick to jump to the conclusion that it was not. Well, actually, I have a pretty good idea why someone would jump to that conclusion.

Given the boolean nature of the implicit question, and the lack of evidence one way or the other, any conclusion one jumps to is more an indication of that someone's own predispositions as opposed to that of the yearbook staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Likewise, I am not sure how anyone can be so quick to jump to the conclusion that it was not. Well, actually, I have a pretty good idea why someone would jump to that conclusion.

Given the boolean nature of the implicit question, and the lack of evidence one way or the other, any conclusion one jumps to is more an indication of that someone's own predispositions as opposed to that of the yearbook staff.
    We can't make absolute conclusions but probability of the cause of this "mistake" is really obvious here based on simple statistics.

There is a 98% chance that its not random error (49/49 white 0% error, 1/1 black 100% error). And if it is not random, ie the black student was singled out, then it is not innocent either.

Having said all this, it is too bad for the girl, but not the end of the world for anyone. Much ado about nothing really, she is getting her justification through the news story.
  14.    #14  
    this yearbook placeholder totally says, 'sheltered white person thinks out loud'. i hear people (esp. in the south) use this type of phrasing all the time. they do this about anyone non-caucasian. why there is need for differentiation based on ethnicity or skin color tends to be confusing, but again, simply put, it can be one of the more subtle (or less in the Texan's case) layers of racism that is very alive in society today.

There are tons of subtle things like this that people do every day, often unconsciously, in ways they are accustomed to operating in. Yet just because something is unintentional doesn't make it OK. These subtleties can really add up to create huge obstacles for others just to operate normally. The best thing we can do is correct one another as a society and show respect by consciously mending our ways.